Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day Trip - What To See?

Options
  • 02-01-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭

Hello folks,

I'm going up to Belfast for the day tomorrow with the missus. We're going sightseeing rather than shopping so can anyone tell me what we should take in while we're there?

We'll only have about 8 hours before we have to take the train back so we can't venture too far away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭robo

I would highly recomend the bus tour around the city. It goes through all the historic parts of the city and the guides give a good commentary of the tour. It is well worth it. But wrap up well as you are best off on the top and if you get a seat at the top, at least you are under cover if it does rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Botanic gardens... nice in summer, perhaps not so much now.

Ulster Museum is closed at the moment for redevelopment.

The big wheel thingy at City Hall.

Black taxi tours always seem to be popular with visitors ( I think they take you round the dodgy areas and you can look at murals and stuff)

Ulster Folk and Transport museum is very good, but its a little out of the city so not sure if you can get to it easily without a car.

Visit the Crown Bar - recently refurbished by the National Trust. (opposite the Europa I think)

I think the docks have been redeveloped as well.

Odyssey Complex, I know it has a cinema and some sort of science centre for kids, but maybe other things too?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks guys, I'll certainly check out the bus tour and try and convince herself to take it. Is the big wheel thingy something along the lines of the london eye? Also the black taxi tours, I think that's something she'd like. Is that actually a taxi firm or just something a regular black taxi does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

The big wheel thingy is *like* the London Eye, but as far as I know its more ferris wheel-esque unfortunately. I think it only goes up for Christmas, but you could ring and find out if its still there when you visit.

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/cityhall/bigwheel.asp

I think you have to book the Black Taxi tours in advance, I've never done one but people seem to enjoy them. http://www.gotobelfast.com/localtours/viewlisting.cfm/LocaltourCat_Key/1/level/page/category_key/196/Page_Key/275/parent_key/268/type/Page/PaGeName/Guided%20Taxi%20Tours

Make sure you get a Blue Badge Guide -- they are the guides who have got proper training so they shouldn't just be talking out of their arse.

Just re-read your post and see you have probably been already. Hope you enjoyed it :)

Advertisement