Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scrapping cars?

Options
  • 02-01-2009 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi there!
    OK so I have a bit of a problem and a bit of an unusual question!

Problem is that I have two cars, both non running! One (a Fiat marea) is in Templemore and the other (VW Polo) is in Shannon. I want to get rid of these cars, what’s the best way to go about this? Is there a breakers yard near either? If so what’s the story with leaving these into a breakers yard?

Any advice?
    Cheers Pernic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If they are undrivable then a scrap yard will charge you for coming out and putting them on a flat bed truck.

Afaik your local council can have them removed for nothing. Give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't the manufacturers now have an obligation to take end-of-life cars for disposal??

I'm not recommending this method, but people have been known to remove plates, tax NCT and insurance discs etc. then ring the council to report an abandoned car - they then (apparently) remove them free of charge.

A scrappie should really take it for free, I would have thought?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

I am setting up a scrap yard in janurary and i am taking in cars for free, i am in tipp though,

whats the story with the fiat? if i thought i could salvage enough parts i would take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

esel wrote: »
    Don't the manufacturers now have an obligation to take end-of-life cars for disposal??

I'm not recommending this method, but people have been known to remove plates, tax NCT and insurance discs etc. then ring the council to report an abandoned car - they then (apparently) remove them free of charge.

A scrappie should really take it for free, I would have thought?

Councils will take a car for free or a small charge. No point in getting done for littering for €120ish to remove both cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

JackFrosty wrote: »
    whats the story with the fiat? if i thought i could salvage enough parts i would take it.

Fiat Marea Parts? .......you'd never make money stocking those for resale. Don't know when i last saw one on the public road.
    BTW - scrappie's charge to take old bangers in some cases, they have to depollute the car,render it enviromentally safe, blah,blah, blah and the price of scrap these days i hear is worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pernicitus

JackFrosty wrote: »

Car runs, just runs a little hot! Head gasket is on the way out me thinks! Don't really trust it to drive it. 01 Car, in great nick apart from that!

Think all the same parts for bravo and brava cars!

I will take it for parts, at least thats one out of your way!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pernicitus

Thanks to one and all who replied!

Problem has been sorted :D

Advertisement