Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best general purpose Bank

Options
  • 02-01-2009 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have been with Ulster Bank all my life and have tolerated what is in my opinion a deteriorating service.I am now considering changing bank,and my current account is a reasonably simple one.I have no mortgage any more (tg),and have one small car loan.My retirement salary is paid in automatically and I have a number of direct debits for gas,electricity,car loan,credit card etc. I have internet banking since 98,and my use of the account is fairly basic.

What I want to ask is,are there any major drawbacks to changing my bank that I need to consider, and which bank is considered to be the best value these days. I was tempted to go to Nationwide at one stage, but let it slide at the time.Any considered opinion is welcome.Are there any good comparison links out there.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Current Account Comparison

Compare-Current-accounts

Halifax is a good option if your monthly income would be 1500 or more because they give 10% interest on balances up to €2000

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I was tempted to go to Nationwide at one stage

You haven't said where you are located. Nationwide would only operate in the UK (including NI).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

BuffyBot wrote: »
    You haven't said where you are located. Nationwide would only operate in the UK (including NI).

They possibly means Irish Nationwide Building Society, or else they maybe live in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Walker34

Hi folks,
    thanks for the replies,Im in Dublin 6 btw. I like Halifax but am not sure in this "New reality" or recession for want of a better term.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Walker34 wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    thanks for the replies,Im in Dublin 6 btw. I like Halifax but am not sure in this "New reality" or recession for want of a better term.

Hailifax was acquired by Lloyds TSB plc. The combined group will be one of the largest financial institutions.

It will also benefit from the UK Government Capital Guarantee Scheme.
    Also Bank of Scotland (Ireland) is pledging €1 billion of lending to support consumers and business customers in 2009. In particular, the Bank will focus on supporting mortgage customers in personal banking through Halifax and SMEs in business banking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement