Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would lure you back to the bars?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

can someone clear up the legalities of the cheapest that bars can sell drink at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Cant Believe no one has said this ;

FREE BEER!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Quieter music or no music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

1. Poker
    2. Poker
    3. Cheap booze
    4. More men!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

not turning up the music to an idiotic level on the dot of 8pm. I have often walked out as soon as this has happened.

Bar staff who actually serve customers rather than just pose and try to chat up female customers

More over 25s bars. I hate places where there are gangs of screaming 18 year old drinking shots, roaring and shouting and making a fool of themsleves at 9pm

• Advertisement

We may have the perfect pub after a few threads. Just goes to show how hard it is for the publican...some want music the heavier the better...some want quiet music...some don't want any music at all....

some want music the heavier the better...some want quiet music...some don't want any music at all....

It depends, if I know there's band playing then I'll either go for the band or aviod the place because of the band. If I'm going for a few pints with friends the last thing I want to hear is music blarring so that I can't hear what the person next to me is saying

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

We may have the perfect pub after a few threads. Just goes to show how hard it is for the publican...some want music the heavier the better...some want quiet music...some don't want any music at all....

Solution. Muli-level pubs.:cool: A room for all tastes, or personal mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

DRRRRIIIIINNNNKKK !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

This is not a bash the pub and club industry industry thread.....instead i'd like you to ask yourselves 2 questions...

What would make me want to go out to a pub more regularly...
    If I owned a bar what would I do to get the punters in?

Topless bar women FTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

More over 25s bars. I hate places where there are gangs of screaming 18 year old drinking shots, roaring and shouting and making a fool of themsleves at 9pm

Sure how else is Snyper supposed to meet women girls? :pac:

galwayrush wrote: »
    Solution. Muli-level pubs.:cool: A room for all tastes, or personal mood.

I have been in a few places like this. And a lot of times they play the same sh!te pop music on all floors

Apparently the main drinkers...or the biggest spenders...are the 18-23 age groups....

Isn't it generally true that this age group, expecially the girls, like the crap pop music...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I have been in a few places like this. And a lot of times they play the same sh!te pop music on all floors

That won't be allowed in the A.H. Super Pub. One level will be reserved for a quiet night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Cheaper drink and the laws changed so promotions can be done

I thought the cafe bar idea would have been good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Pool tables, table quizzes, poker nights, live bands, happy hours, bigger selection of beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Yes a cafe bar would be much better or like in Italy gelatarias which sell ice cream coffee and alcohol. :)

In my group of friends half of us like to drink they other half would prefer coffee most nights but all the same they want to hang out with us and chat but no bars are into serving tea and or coffee past a certain hour.
    And sitting in a coffe shop for a long time is just painful coz there no big comfy couches just rickety wooden chairs. ANd if said coffee shop is full theres nowhere to get even a cup of coffee and or a slice of cake after 9pm! Its a disgrace! So the best of both worlds i say. Oh and of course music but not so much that i cant hear my friends talk!

Fizman wrote: »
    Topless bar women FTW.

Topless men too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Wider choice of beer in particular real ales(bitter) might get me back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Properly priced Guinness that is pulled properly.

And get ****ing rid of tvs from pubs. Too distracting. :mad:

• Advertisement

p0rn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Friendly bar staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

An atmosphere.

A few years ago every 2nd pub was tripping over each other trying to look more shiney and more modern than the next bar. Of course the drawback of having a widescreen TV showing Sky News on every wall, and the same boring background music is that it kills the atmosphere of the bar. What the publicans need to concentrate on is getting an atmosphere back to give people a reason to leave their sitting rooms. Now that the public are well used to fancy looking places, it's become rather dull. The best bars now are those that have held on to a bit of their old charm, that don't have sterile decor and have a few characters sitting at the bar for a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Another one would be a games night, either a few board games or video games.

A few consoles running games of Fifa would get loads of lads in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

End smoking ban.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Aside from the obvious one, cheaper drink...

Pubs are not as busy as they were 10 & 20 years ago and most of them are empty midweek...so what would make you want to go to them again? There's a pub where I live that runs a board games night every wednesday night...i think that's a great idea personally... but what would work for you?

Bring back quiz nights?
    Poker?
    Bands?
    Karaoke?

This is not a bash the pub and club industry industry thread.....instead i'd like you to ask yourselves 2 questions...

What would make me want to go out to a pub more regularly...
    If I owned a bar what would I do to get the punters in?

Cheaper drink is the only thing that would make me go to the pub more often. The exception to this is live music by a band I want to see, but then again, it is rare that I want to spend €20+ and €5+ a pint to see a band.

If the vintners had kept prices to €4-4.50 over the last few years it would be fine, but €5 as standard is too much. Now, pints would need to be €3-3.50 for me to go to the pub more regularly. What annoys me most is the cartel style behaviour of pubs. In the UK pints can range from £1 student promotions to £7 in an ultra trendy night club. In Dublin all prices are €4.50-5 which is just too much. A bit more variety in price (e.g. a rubbish place with cheap pints or a fancy place with expensive pints) would go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Stop playing music from the current singles charts. The people who buy said music are too bloody young to go to pubs anyway.
    They also need to stop blaring music at ridiculously high volumes. Sometimes it's nice to talk to your mates in the pub.

I find it hard to picture the whole computer games in bars thing...could that really work?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Galvasean wrote: »
    Stop playing music from the current singles charts. The people who buy said music are too bloody young to go to pubs anyway.

I'm in my 30's :confused::P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I find it hard to picture the whole computer games in bars thing...could that really work?!

There's a pub in Cork called the Beer House that has a Wii! The regulars were playing bowling with each other last time I was there.

Advertisement