Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alkanine batteries replacement

Options
  • 02-01-2009 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

hi, this is probably a contender for dumbest post of the year but here goes..... i bought a battery powered game for xmas for someone and the alkaline batteries (C type) have run out after about an hour of using the game.... so it got me wondering, surely there's some way of hooking battery powered devices up to the mains power supply via a transformer which reduces the voltage? anyone heard of some DIY projects or devices out there which have attempted this !?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

sure, buy a mains transformer, a scissors and some gator clips.

if it takes two C cell batteries then a 3.7V spare phone charger (nokia or SE off my head i think) will do fine.

cut wire, seperate into two different strands, check polarity, attach and preferably solder wire to clips. attach clips to battery springs, ?????, profit.

(hide clips inside battery compartment so as to not burn yourself.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

mawk wrote: »
    sure, buy a mains transformer, a scissors and some gator clips.

if it takes two C cell batteries then a 3.7V spare phone charger (nokia or SE off my head i think) will do fine.

cut wire, seperate into two different strands, check polarity, attach and preferably solder wire to clips. attach clips to battery springs, ?????, profit.

(hide clips inside battery compartment so as to not burn yourself.)

O.P. Don't attempt this unless you know how to safely

O.P. Don't attempt this unless you know how to safely

clearly take care and dont cowboy around with electricity, but honestly, having the wire terminate in two insulated alligator clips is only a touch more risky than leaving the phone charger plugged in and hanging from the wall. which you do anyway. this is one of safest electrical hacks you could do

if you cannot set your hands on some insulated ones like these easily
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6359
    buy some shrink tube and close it up yourself

ETA--
    and of course, do NOT plug in the transformer and attach the leads to each other. even IF it has the pd to make cool sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

guys, thanks for the feedback. I won't try hacking something because it's a childs toy (a football game) and needless to say i wouldn't take any chances with the little blighter, so it'll have to be a battery recharger/rechargeable batteries until someone comes up with an adaptor to replace expensive alkaline batteries with mains power.

did you check the whole of the case to check is there just a mains DC in point?

if it is that battery heavy im surprised the manufacturer didnt include it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

i checked the case as you suggested, but there's no power input. I guess it's just a cheap toy...

http://www.smythstoys.com/other-board-games/air-suspension-soccer-game----b02415pd.aspx

i've ordered a battery re-charger and re-chargeable batteries, so i hope re-chargeable batteries are not as rubbish as they used to be a few years ago.

Advertisement