Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche Fees

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

MojoMaker wrote: »
    How are creche fees going up when creche overheads are actually coming down? Staff wages, electricity, gas, groceries - all on the decrease in 2009.

I think that because parents pull their kids others foot the bill (less people to generate the same turnover.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Anyone got prices for a creche in Wicklow? Curious to see what it would cost to have our two monsters minded if my oh decided to return to work on our daughter's first birthday... they'd be 1 and 4 then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

the snip report has recommended that the subvention band c is to be re-assessed, which is going to put up some subvented fees.

also a lot of creches receive a top-up under the subvention scheme this also looks like it is on the way out too.

a lot of creches are going to be closing down, hard times for everyone but to be honest, i cant see crèche costs coming down, crèche workers at really badly paid.

unfortunately, you are just going to have to suck it up, it the cost of having children

Will creches still get the allowances for band A and B? A lot of really important community creches allow parents to get back to work (especially single mums) and are funded almost exclusively by band A subventions. Would be a disaster if that was taken away.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Will creches still get the allowances for band A and B? A lot of really important community creches allow parents to get back to work (especially single mums) and are funded almost exclusively by band A subventions. Would be a disaster if that was taken away.

the report didnt mention anything about bands A and B but the report recommended the abolishment of all top ups which will mean that the facilities will only be reliant on the funding received per the bands without additional funding.

there are a large number of community creches running at very high deficits, its quiet scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Thanks PFB.

BUT...I don't understand the following bit:
    the facilities will only be reliant on the funding received per the bands without additional funding.

I know I'm probably being dumb :P

I'm just concerned as I know a few people running community creches to allow single mums to return to education or go to work during the day. The 2 creches that my friends run will have to close if bands A+B go, as they're already pretty much run on a voluntary basis. But it will be a total false economy to close them, as these girls will all go back on the dole.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

some groups get an additional amount on top of the Band A and Band B funding.

this additional funding might be cut.

the problem is that with a lot of community creches they are in so much debt it is not viable to keep them open.

also a lot of creches arent getting the numbers to stay open. again, it is not viable to have 10 staff for 4 children.

i think the whole face of childcare in Ireland is about to change again, and probably for the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

our creche increased their prices fairly recently....they held their hands up and advised they could not retain good staff due to wages so low. The increase in theory is to refuce staff attrition rates - helping to keep on the staff and create continuity for the kids....I don't like the extra cost but at the same time like the idea my little-uns will get to see the same people week in week out....we shall see!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ranleth

I know this is a thread about Creche Fees but with that in mind does anyone have any recommendations for Creches in the South Galway area (Gort, Ardrahan, Kilcolgan, Oranmore)?

Also, if anyone knows the prices and pros/cons that would be fantastic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Moobui

Hi Sleepy,
    I think the creche prices in Wicklow can vary a lot even within one area. In the Greystones/Delgany area for example there was a difference of nearly 200 per month per child between two creches when I had my children in one and friends had theirs in another.

Advertisement