Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Exhaust problem

Options
  • 02-01-2009 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭

Hi guys am new to the motor forum, just looking for your help. I have a noisy exhaust, that's also slightly loose and is rattling when the engine is on. Anyone know whether i'll need to get it replaced, is it dangerous to drive my car and where i should bring it without paying an extortionate amount to have it fixed? Its a 95 seat ibiza, scrap yards arent an option as I'm no mechanic.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Exhaust is fecked by the sounds of that, where about is the sound/rattle coming from, closer to the engine or at the back of the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

cheers its definately towards the back of the car

Sounds like the back box, I just searched a few for you on ebay, they are about €180-200 new. You'd be better off buying new anyway because a second hand one mighten last p!ssing time. What engine is it?

whats a back box ? excuse my ignorance. its 1043cc engine.

Its the back part of the exhaust system. Actually looking at these some of them are less than €100. Its an easy job to fit them aswel.

• Advertisement

cool!! thanks plug, you've done your good deed for the day.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

heybaby wrote: »
    whats a back box ? excuse my ignorance. its 1043cc engine.
    Before you buy make sure it is broken and cannot be fixed. I have the same problem but my mechanic told me he can weld it . The box itself is OK but where it is connected is broken. So make sure it cannot be fixed before buying a new one

No problem, just remember thats a fail in the NCT if your going for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

went to a mechanic who put the car on a ramp thing to let me look at the underside of the car, it seems the exhaust is coming apart in several places , so ive opted for a new exhaust, particularly as i have an nct coming up later in the year, and besides there are 70k miles on the clock anayway, and theres little else wrong with the car. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement