Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timely warning.

Options
  • 02-01-2009 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

Consumers were advised today to spend any gift vouchers that they may have received at Christmas as soon as possible in case the shops that they are for go out of business. The advice also warned people not to place deposits on large items just in case the company fails before you get your goods. Pay in full only if the item is actually in stock and take away on the day. Don't accept delivery dates in the future that might never come.

It's bad that we have to think in those terms but that's the way it is nowadays.

Source: Irish Independent 2nd Jan 2008

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Whats also sad is this type of scaremongering will also hurt alot of business's as people won't put deposits on items etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

The attitude of this country pisses me off this type of scare mongering causing hysteria and panic all over the shop. Yes the country in in hard times and we all know it but scaring people into not spending their money is ridiculous. Especially if people are sensible with it. Ireland right now is like a plane going through turbalence and some a-hole stands up and shouts we are all going to die creating mass hysteria and panic. Sorry rant over.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ireland right now is like a plane going through turbalence and some a-hole stands up and shouts we are all going to die creating mass hysteria and panic. Sorry rant over.

Perfect example, we know some companys will go out of business and alot will have to downsize but telling everyone to spend vouchers asap is not helpful in the long term

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

The attitude of this country pisses me off this type of scare mongering causing hysteria and panic all over the shop. Yes the country in in hard times and we all know it but scaring people into not spending their money is ridiculous. Especially if people are sensible with it. Ireland right now is like a plane going through turbalence and some a-hole stands up and shouts we are all going to die creating mass hysteria and panic. Sorry rant over.

I could not agree more. The media is loving this recession because they can spread fear and scaremongering into the Irish consumer. They know people will be glued to these reports.

Businesses need people to spend money to stay afloat. If that happens then the businesses will gain more profit, which in turn will keep people's jobs safer and then they will have the confidence to spend more money, and so on ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's hardly scaremongering.
    Look at Zavvi - last week everyone thought their Irish operation was safe, and then they went into administration out of the blue.

I don't think the shops will give two hoots if people redeem their gift certificates in January - remember they've ALREADY received the money for them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

eth0_ wrote: »
    Look at Zavvi - last week everyone thought their Irish operation was safe, and then they went into administration out of the blue.

I don't think the shops will give two hoots if people redeem their gift certificates in January - remember they've ALREADY received the money for them!

News came to late for me. Zavvi gift voucher rejected yesterday :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Its good advice even in the good times. I remember friends who were stung during the boom times when that furniture place out in airside retail park went belly up!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If possible, pay for anything over €150.00 with a credit card so you can claim for non delivery.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

QUOTE]

Anybody who thought that Zavvi Ireland was immunue from Zavvi Uk's problems did need to have their head examined.

However I feel sorry for anybody who bought vouchers because they didn't have a clue that Zavvi "Anywhere" ( probably a lot of folk) was in in difficulty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

parsi wrote: »
    QUOTE]

Anybody who thought that Zavvi Ireland was immunue from Zavvi Uk's problems did need to have their head examined.

However I feel sorry for anybody who bought vouchers because they didn't have a clue that Zavvi "Anywhere" ( probably a lot of folk) was in in difficulty.

Most people arent as clued into the workings of the business world however so cant necessarily be blamed. Consumer Affairs should have clearer advice in these situations before they happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Freddie Cork

Cabaal wrote: »
    telling everyone to spend vouchers asap is not helpful in the long term

But mgsrocks just had a gift voucher rejected in Zavvi 2 days ago! Point proven... or should we listen to you and get stung too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

oh for fricks sake!!this is ridiculous...."many household names" that have gone bust?Adams, ok fair enough....i'd never even heard of Zavvi until it went bust!the indo obviously had nothing better to write about that day,typical of them lately tbh. i'll spend my vouchers when i goddamn feel like it thank you!

But mgsrocks just had a gift voucher rejected in Zavvi 2 days ago! Point proven... or should we listen to you and get stung too?

Zavvi got in over their heads buying out Virgin in the first place. I wouldn't use them as an example. Virgin were overpriced waste of a shop to begin with and When Zaavi bought it over they failed to impress the general public back in to their stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Look at Zavvi - last week everyone thought their Irish operation was safe, .

Anyone who thought that was very nieve tbh.

Zavvi got in over their heads buying out Virgin in the first place. I wouldn't use them as an example. Virgin were overpriced waste of a shop to begin with and When Zaavi bought it over they failed to impress the general public back in to their stores.
    ??? But that's just a reason WHY Zavvi went bust - it's not a reason why other stores won't. How is that relevant?

??? But that's just a reason WHY Zavvi went bust - it's not a reason why other stores won't. How is that relevant?

Its relevant because they were going under before the recession not because of the recession. So someone used the example of zavvi not taking the voucher I followed it up saying they were going bust anyway. It wasnt a surprise they were going under at all. Yes there will be other stores that go bust but back to the main point of the thread. If you create mass hysteria you will make people panic and they will stop spending in any store creating a bigger chance these stores trying to survive most definitely wont. Simple as.

If you create mass hysteria you will make people panic and they will stop spending in any store creating a bigger chance these stores trying to survive most definitely wont. Simple as.

It's a voucher - the store already has the money! And nobody is saying not to buy - they are saying buy & take with you on the same day where possible.

Advertisement