Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limiting numbers in pubs and clubs

Options
  • 02-01-2009 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

Ok so going to clubs and pubs is what you do on a night out?

but seriously you get to a point where you just dont want to spend the night crammed into a club or bar where you cant move.

ive been to clubs in other countries where they limit the number of people into a club far more than they do here.

I would really enjoy going to a club where i didnt have to fight for my life to move 20 feet never mind go the the bar for a round of drinks.

I know limiting the amount of people would be reducing revenue for the owners which is simply the only reason why they dont do this. I would happily pay more for my drinks if they were to do this.

The only disagreement that i feel will come in response to this is that queues would be longer and harder to get into.

But then again less people in each bar or club means there are more people wanting to go places so more clubs can open meaning more jobs etc...

any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

tbh, it's not just about comfort, safety regulations are ignored left right and centre when cramming so many people into these places. Seriously, if there ever was a major emergency in one of the bigger pubs in Galway people would be f*cked trying to get out of those places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I would really enjoy going to a club where i didnt have to fight for my life to move 20 feet never mind go the the bar for a round of drinks.

I know limiting the amount of people would be reducing revenue for the owners which is simply the only reason why they dont do this. I would happily pay more for my drinks if they were to do this.

As crazy as its sounds I'd do the same! God I hate the whole 'like tinned sardines' situation which is nearly every Wednesday/Thursday in any popular club in Galway(GPO,Karma,and CP's....)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

does anyone actually know what the legal thing is? How many people are they legally allowed to put into some of the popular places in town.

Every pub has a limit on the number of patrons they can have at a given time. They do have signs up stating this. Cuba has one, and Kings head do too. If you think they are over this, try and get in contact with the fire inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Every pub has a limit on the number of patrons they can have at a given time. They do have signs up stating this. Cuba has one, and Kings head do too. If you think they are over this, try and get in contact with the fire inspector.

its not that i believe they are going over this. I believe these numbers are far too high. The laws need to be changed so that the inspectors decrease the numbers in the premises that they inspect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

does anyone actually know what the legal thing is? How many people are they legally allowed to put into some of the popular places in town.

On the entrance to many places there will be a sign showing the max number of patrons. If there isn't feel free to ask managment.
    The local fire officer will have inspected the place, if you are not happy talk to them and they can have another inspection.

And if you see dodgy stuff like emergency exits being chained, then be sure to report it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

I agree that its very annoying when your crammed into these places but i would defo not be willing to pay more. A night out is far to expensive as it is. The cost of a license for a club must come down so there revenue remains the same if they alloy fewer people in. Im my opinion!!

Scott

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I was in CPs for New Years and while I must say I did have a very good night, it was a bit too packed for comfort. Quite difficult to move around and took ages to get served at the bar at certain points during the night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Karma are the worst for this.

The trouble is, none of the clubs in Galway are particularly big, and seeing as the town is full of students, virtually everyone goes out on a Mon/Wed/Thurs so it's bound to be a problem. Personally as long as I get in I don't really care - I'd rather it was busy than quiet.

Karma are the worst for this.

Surely that award has to go to the Hole in the Wall during Race Week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

Surely it's CP's on any Saturday night? Anyone even slightly claustrophobic would be advised against going remotely near the place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

tbh the pubs in quay street and cross street are much worse for this during raceweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

As far as I'm aware the fire officer inspects the premises and bases the max occupancy to work out at roughly 2 people per square metre of usable floor space. Its all a show in Galway anyway because when one club is raided the management immediately contact the other clubs to give them the heads up, you watch our back and we'll watch yours kinda thing. Same thing happens when the HSA inspect a club for noise levels. I worked in a club for a few years and these are two of the many things that went on behind the scenes.

Have often thought that if (God forbid) there was a fire in Cuba and a rush to get out, there'd be one hell of a pile up on that stairs the leads up to the club if someone were to trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

I would have to agree 100%. It's not much of a pleasure than a crammed pub or club. On the other hand there is nothing worse than queues either. Plus we already give out that pubs / clubs are too expensive.

It's a catch 22, a friend of mine told me about a place in New York when he was there where they paid a set fee at the door which covered their drinks for the night and there was a max number of people left in.

He said they had a great night, it was busy but not uncomfortable. Only thing was they had to stay there for the night but they didn't mind.

Would that be a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The amount one drinks is a huuuuge variable in Ireland! Doubt if this would work tbh...think about the someone who wanted none/one and was drivin' vs a head the ball who would drink his/her weight in Heineken.;)

The only way that this will be enforced is if a major incident occurs in a big pub/club,in Galway/or anywhere in Ireland for that matter,which obviously doesnt bear thinking about,but its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

karma are defo the worst for this. ive been in there and been genuinely worried with the volume of people in there. there new fire barriers at the smoking area are a guarentee death trap if there was a fire, dont know how they get away with it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

GalKiefer wrote: »
    Have often thought that if (God forbid) there was a fire in Cuba and a rush to get out, there'd be one hell of a pile up on that stairs the leads up to the club if someone were to trip.
    Pretty sure the staircase by the cloakroom, where you go up to the men's toilets, is a fire escape...
    donmeister wrote: »
    The only way that this will be enforced is if a major incident occurs in a big pub/club,in Galway/or anywhere in Ireland for that matter,which obviously doesnt bear thinking about,but its true.
    The Stardust?

The Stardust?

Well,something along those lines,but not a as big of a scale!:confused: Ireland is never noted for 'prevention' of things like these,rather the government let things slide until something like that happens,then they enforce it....

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

That place is tiny! Altho anywhere on race week is crazy.
    Karma is crazy in Galway, altho in Athlone they are strict enough about the numbers they let in. Even when they are full tho, they are maxed. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

That's the way it is in Ireland, cram everyone in and rip them off, whatever makes money. I'm glad pubs and clubs are going down the hole tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I remember going to places abroad, and Front Door here, where they had to implement a "one out, one in" policy. Not nice cause you know it's full to the brim inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

The Front Door is ridiculous. Hate going there as it's always so fking packed. It's always soooo wedged. Last time I was there it took about 20 mins to push my way out from the back of the pub to the Sonnys exit. God forbid a fire in that place on a busy night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

The Front Door is ridiculous. Hate going there as it's always so fking packed. It's always soooo wedged. Last time I was there it took about 20 mins to push my way out from the back of the pub to the Sonnys exit. God forbid a fire in that place on a busy night...

Used to work there. Carrying crates of stuff through there is no easy task I tell ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So don't go there then!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

love the front door. best two bar staff in galway IMHO. but god yeah the front bar can be a bit mental. if one person stands an inch or two out from the wall, he or she can block the whole flow of people within the building. that being said i am a glutton for punishment and will always go back....even if the crowd can be a bit old and sleazy at times....adds to the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Some of the places in town are ridiculous when it comes to this. Had a particularly bad experience in Massimos a few Saturdays ago, absolute insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

There will be enough space in bars in 09 with the way people are loosing jobs and mainly the robbin prices that are being charged by pubs. During recessions people generally go out more (propably for relief from the depression/recession) but with the prices in Irish pubs its not beyond the realms of possibility to imagine that people will be forced to instead to booze from the off licences or the devils water...aka poitin. Whatever the case more and more pubs will be turning into food haunts take Buskers and Brannigans (formerly Bazaar) for example. UP THE WESHT.:)

Advertisement