Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore Town Council

Options
  • 02-01-2009 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Having recently moved to Tramore, and having a keen interest in politics, I decided to look at the minutes of recent Tramore Town Council meetings. As you may be aware there are currently 9 Tramore Town Councillors, 3FF, 3FG, 1 LAB & 2IND. As I read through the notes something instantly
    stuck out at me........the attendence (or should I say lack of!) from some councillors. The following is based on the official notes of the 8 meetings from 08.01.08 - 07.10.08, available on WCC`s website. Of the 3 FF councillors, Ben Gavin attended 1 of 8 meetings (12.5%), Dan Cowman attended 4 of 8 meetings (50%) leaving Blaise Hannigan the only FF rep attending all 8 Council Meetings. Of FG`s 3 Councillors, Lola O`Sullivan attended 6 of 8 meetings (75%), Ray Hayden 7 (87.5%) and Anne Marie Power 8 of 8. Labour`s Paddy O`Callaghan attended 6 of 8 meetings(75%). The two independants, Joe Conway and James McCartan
    both attended 8 of 8 meetings. A couple of questions struck me: How do Tramore residents feel about the above? Does it bother you that people who you have chosen to represent you on the Town Council don`t show up for meetings? Is it ironic that independant councillors can make the effort but other councillors representing arguably the most powerful political parties in thecountry can`t? How can they represent you if they are not there? Obviously there in much work done in the background that is never seen but surely this is no excuse for complacency? Is it time for change? Your views please :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Some of those attendances are shocking alright, especially only 1 of 8 for Ben Gavin. The local elections are some time this year, Tramore will get an extra councillor, so it looks like none of those councillors will lose their place. I won't vote for any of those councillors with low attendances. I was gonna vote for Anne Marie Power anyway so it's good to see she has attended all the meetings so she'll get my vote.

Welcome to Tramore by the way. How are you finding it so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Enigm_a

Love it! Moved from Kildare last Feb. Great town. Loads for the kids to do. Much better quality of life for my family.

Just a point in relation to the extra Councillor. The Boundary Commission reported earlier in the year that Tramore should get an extra seat on the County Council, not the Town Council due to the recent increase in population. Dungarvan apparently is losing a county seat.

Thanks for the reply!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Interesting that FF who are in trouble in general have poor attendance. Good to see FG having a strong presense who are looking hot todo well in general in Local & European Elections. Not sure I met the labour chap but I know the two indepdendents. Who stands out the most is Joe a hardworking and honest chap. Been very helpful towards me this year and has supported Discover Tramore unlike one FG candidate who I wont be giving my vote. Its disaponting that some councilors such as Ben Gavin have failed to attend meetings. Not usually a FF voter and I cant say I have seen much from our FF councilors over the year but this would most certinaly put me off from giving a vote. Other then Bens work in the short term local paper where he did the Tramore news section (where I was glad to see he congratulated my own Tourism project), I cant say I heard much of what he did or what he took part in.

I am going to be making my decisions - which are pretty much made anyway - based on who has done well for the town or areas of it at least. Who have worked the hardest. Those who supported Discover Tramore and other tourism efforts which are important for our town. Attendance is crucial and anybody I was considering giving a vote has excellent attendance (and I know one of the FG councilors was at the County Coucil meeting at one Town Council meeting regarding a Tramore issue) in meetings anyway.

The elections should be interesting. Hopefully each candidate will show clearly areas of work they did for Tramore over the year and their plans if they get re-elected. Overall, outside of Tramore, this might be an interesting year to watch where a possible shift in voting may occur.

If your interested OP, they are looking for candidates in the local elections. Welcome to Tramore btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Surely to play an "active enough" role Sully he has to go to more than one meeting a year? Can we not expect more from him?

Doing a column in a sh1t local paper that lasted for a few days has f*ck all to do with being a Town Councillor, he was probably being paid for this rather than it being anything to do with his duties to the people of Tramore.

There is no need to defend him just because he likes your website, there are far more pressing issues in the town that our elected representatives should be dealing with rather than writing in a paper no one ever read.

And as you mentioned a FG councillor that didn't support you, you would be better of naming them rather than putting a question mark over all 3 FG councillors, leaving us guessing which one you like. Thankfully in Ireland we are allowed to criticise politicians as much as we see fit, you should not be afraid to openly do that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Surely to play an "active enough" role Sully he has to go to more than one meeting a year? Can we not expect more from him?

Doing a column in a sh1t local paper that lasted for a few days has f*ck all to do with being a Town Councillor, he was probably being paid for this rather than it being anything to do with his duties to the people of Tramore.

There is no need to defend him just because he likes your website, there are far more pressing issues in the town that our elected representatives should be dealing with rather than writing in a paper no one ever read.

You misunderstood me. I never said I would give him my vote and I gave reasons as to what would make my decision when making a vote. A nice chap I am sure, but doesnt quite add up to what would give him my vote. Plus, I have no interest in voting FF. I was just giving an opinion which we are all entitled to do :)
    And as you mentioned a FG councillor that didn't support you, you would be better of naming them rather than putting a question mark over all 3 FG councillors, leaving us guessing which one you like. Thankfully in Ireland we are allowed to criticise politicians as much as we see fit, you should not be afraid to openly do that.

I considered doing it but felt it was unfair but your right and it does cast doubt over others as a result. At a town council meeting I was asked to do a brief presentation on, regarding Discover Tramore and how our efforts to promote Tramore as a tourist resort, most people were in support of the project and offered congratulations on the effort put in etc. One councilor who made no comment until the meeting was closed was Ann Marie Power, someone I always voted for in the past. Based on our discussions it seemed clear to me she did not support my iniative which is a key issue for me as I have grown up in a tourism business and always felt (as have others) that Tramore could really be promoted better and needed a decent website on the internet. I just felt that as a result she wouldnt be a candidate of my choice as what is a key issue for me she didnt agree with me on.

In terms of other candidates and my reasons for voting..

Lola O'Sullivan has been excellent councillor in my opinion. She has the interest of Tramore at heart as do many others. Ray Hayden, who I am unsure is running again, was an excellent councillor also and would definitely get my vote. Just two of the FG bench that I will be voting for.

• Advertisement

Ok so maybe "active enough" was a bit generous choice of words when describing his role in the town council. I would certainly say it is if the figures about his attendance is correct. I would like to hear his reasons for such absences before the next election, and I hope he calls to my door so I can ask him.

I can still see AM Power's point, she probably feels if the best interests of Tramore are truly what you and the existing website wanted to prevail then you could have at least considered working together. I understand your frustrations as you feel it is your own personal project but if she feels that there would be a better option for Tramore then there is no point in her supporting your project just to keep you on side so you might vote for her next time around

Ok so maybe "active enough" was a bit generous choice of words when describing his role in the town council. I would certainly say it is if the figures about his attendance is correct. I would like to hear his reasons for such absences before the next election, and I hope he calls to my door so I can ask him.

Ya bad choice of words there on my part. Having been at a few meetings I would imagine that yes they are correct. No idea as to why. If I voted FF it would most certinaly distance me from placing a vote for him. I feel attendance at these meetings is crucial as sometimes important issues and votes arrise.
    I can still see AM Power's point, she probably feels if the best interests of Tramore are truly what you and the existing website wanted to prevail then you could have at least considered working together. I understand your frustrations as you feel it is your own personal project but if she feels that there would be a better option for Tramore then there is no point in her supporting your project just to keep you on side so you might vote for her next time around

There was a good bit more to it then just that and I see your point but it doesnt really work like that in tourism. I am not really permitted to comment on this situation bar to say the following. It is my view that Tramore is not and has not been promoted as well as it should be. It is the view of businesses who I spoke to before deciding to do the website. I had the interests of promoting Tramore and I wanted to do exactly that. The website is ranked very highly compared to others, carrys out a lot of printed and online advertising and is simply setup to promote Tramore. There is no harm in that.

There are many oragnisations supporting tourism in different towns and citys around Ireland. There are also many who promote Ireland besides Failte Ireland. Its the same in any country.

At the end of the day, what does it matter? We are all here to do the good for our town and country. If one group did each town, city or country then the message would most certinally not come across as well as it should. I have no objection to any group/individual promoting Ireland for profit or for non profit. I work with a lot of these around Ireland as it is. The more the merrier and this attitude is seen by many. Some might not agree or support it. However, its not caused any harm and has probably benefited our country.

I was disapointed with the reaction of Ann Marie Power and its a reason I wont be giving her a vote this year. Its an issue which I felt was important for the town. She didnt share it and well its a view that I think is very important for tourism in the town. So, not exactly the type of candidate I would vote for! Others I have spoken to about the this share the same view as me. Not everybody will and thats fine. Its just my reason for not voting for this candidate.

Id prefer if you dont mind not to get into a debate about this and I really cant anyway. Hopefully the above explains my reasons and you understand where I am coming from. :) Moving back on topic...

The other two FG councilors have my full support. They have an active role both at meetings and matters when it comes to the town. The only indepdent I hear from is Joe, who I think most definately deserves a vote for this work and effort for the town also.

I will be making a decission on any other candidate based on their views and policys when the time comes that they will be introducing themselves for the elections.

Being somewhat involved in politics I have a bit of knowledge of how things are going to run this year European and Local elections across the board. Should make an interesting election around Ireland. :)

I am very much involved in politics also, but not locally.

It will be an interesting election, however depending on turnout I could see FF retaining a large proportion of their seats, which would be a great success for them given the state of the party at the moment.

If every single person in the country bothers to get up off their fat ar*es and vote, it could be very bad for FF, but I don't know will this happen

I wouldnt have much to do with local politics either. Well, in Tramore that is. Though that will probably change over the next few months but not as much as I have been asked.

Nationally its expected FF will get a hammering but it depends how the next few months play out. However if you look at Tramore for example - I would imagine most of these candidates will have no issues getting re-elected regardless of how they performed or how many meetings they turned up at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 James Mccartan

Enigm a, Welcome to Tramore. My name is James Mccartan an independent member of Tramore Town Council , I have lived in Tramore for the last 30 years , with my wife and four sons .
    If you or any one else ever requires any help, please contact me and I will do all in my power to get you the answers you require.
    I hope you enjoy life in Tramore as much as I have over the years.
    What a place to live.

Good luck,
    James.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

ann marie power is the only person ever getting my vote!!ben can go suck a lemon the useless git:eek::eek: i often wondered how i could get into politics on the local scene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Havw to say that 1 out of 8 is shocking!!! Perhaps his clinics in Rocketts are taking up too much time!!!

As for AM Power I think she is doing a sterling job and will certainly get my number one (though I have never voted for FG before!)

Lola O Sullivan appears to be very two faced! - She voted for the Garrarus Golf project in the County Council vote and then goes around protesting against it!

For the first few yeas of her tenure she only ever talked about the Pier but now she seems to have moved a little farther around the town!

We haven't heard too much from the others - Dan Cowman, Blaise Hannigan, Paddy O Callaghan, Raymond Hayden though Joe Conway was fairly vocal during his term as mayor!

The local elections should be very interesting and unless FF get their finger out with some new candidates they will be destroyed (even if the economy starts to recover)

ann marie power is the only person ever getting my vote!!ben can go suck a lemon the useless git:eek::eek: i often wondered how i could get into politics on the local scene

Are you interested?

scout353 wrote: »
    Havw to say that 1 out of 8 is shocking!!! Perhaps his clinics in Rocketts are taking up too much time!!!

As for AM Power I think she is doing a sterling job and will certainly get my number one (though I have never voted for FG before!)

Lola O Sullivan appears to be very two faced! - She voted for the Garrarus Golf project in the County Council vote and then goes around protesting against it!

For the first few yeas of her tenure she only ever talked about the Pier but now she seems to have moved a little farther around the town!

We haven't heard too much from the others - Dan Cowman, Blaise Hannigan, Paddy O Callaghan, Raymond Hayden though Joe Conway was fairly vocal during his term as mayor!

The local elections should be very interesting and unless FF get their finger out with some new candidates they will be destroyed (even if the economy starts to recover)

The few meetings I was at I found all of the FG candidates to be the most vocal out of FG, followed by Joe and James as indepedendents. Never heard much from the others (apart from Blase a bit) but again I was only at a small few.

Are there any issues in particular which people feel certain candidates are neglecting or not focusing on? Do you think it was a good year in local politics or slow?

For me obviously tourism and the development of the town would be something I look at. I feel that there is a lot of potential for the Pier and Doneraile Walk. Walkways around Tramore are improving, and its good to see they are finally opening the footpath across from the Cove Caravan Park. The crash barrior investment on Netown Road will do good for safety its just a shame there is such a high speed limit on the road still considering how popular the area is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Enigm_a

Enigm a, Welcome to Tramore. My name is James Mccartan an independent member of Tramore Town Council , I have lived in Tramore for the last 30 years , with my wife and four sons .
    If you or any one else ever requires any help, please contact me and I will do all in my power to get you the answers you require.
    I hope you enjoy life in Tramore as much as I have over the years.
    What a place to live.

Good luck,
    James.

Thanks for the reply James. As a sitting Town Councillor, how do you feel the Town Council has performed since 2004? Also, will you be standing for re-election and if so, can you tell us what your policies are?

Thanks,
    Ruth.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭alphasounds

No reply.
    He was only saying: i know were you live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 graveytrain

well done to ann marie power on being elected to tramore town council, not only are us the tramore tax payers paying her teachers wages now she has got a 40 grand pay rise awell.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd just like to congratulate the wee fella (her pupil!) for getting elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

well done to ann marie power on being elected to tramore town council, not only are us the tramore tax payers paying her teachers wages now she has got a 40 grand pay rise awell.:cool:

Where do you get such rubbish - AFAIK the Town Commissioners get about €1100 for the year and she went job sharing in her teachers job when she was elected before so that she can serve the people of Tramore, That represents a substantial pay cut rather than a pay rise I would say and a big commitment to the town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i heard the same thing that they(the elected) get 40 grand per annum???????

• Advertisement

Dont think Town Councillors get paid that well at all, I remember James McCartan and a few others spoke on WLRFM before saying they get paid small enough money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 graveytrain

good luck to the lad , a lad with plenty of backbone, one moment he is canvasing for another party member, next moment he is standing against him with friends like that who needs enemies or was it ann maria in drag??:pac:

good luck to the lad , a lad with plenty of backbone, one moment he is canvasing for another party member, next moment he is standing against him with friends like that who needs enemies or was it ann maria in drag??:pac:

I get the impression your not a fan of Ann Marie...

Advertisement