Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Turning Right - Is it really so Complicated???

Options
  • 02-01-2009 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

What's the story with the f*ckers that block all traffic behind them when executing a right hand turn ??:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

B11gt00e wrote: »
    What's the story with the f*ckers that block all traffic behind them when executing a right hand turn ??:confused:

It's a metaphor for the gross incompetance displayed every day by a substantial amount of Irish drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

... nice to find someone that understands!! I've driven in quite a few countries and have found that this Irish trait would get your murdered in other countries!!! the only thing more annoying is the guys that sit and do it at a No Right Turn sign while ruining the green light for everone else into the bargain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Question? How do you tell if someone is turning left if they don't indicate?

Answer: They swing out right first to get a good shot at it.

Converse for cars turning right they might not have enough room to make the manover so they swing over to the left hand side of the road first.

Thats the actuality but fkw people drive like that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What about those who have a 'full' green light but insist on waiting for the 'turn right' green arrow when there is nothing approaching from the other direction! :(

I call that left hand turn manoevre you just described there 'the invisible trailer syndrome', where some kind of farming DNA in a huge percentage of the population believe they are actually towing a significant appendage on the back of their car, thus execute the aforementioned right hand shimmy before turning left.:eek:

BTW... no offence intented to our farming brethren.... they tend to be top drivers, as they drive all kinds of diverse vehicles on many varying terrains under different condition from a relatively young age!!:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I cant understand how some people just cant turn right. Its obvious how to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

They cant turn right, they cant turn left, they cant [EMAIL="f@@kin"]f@@kin[/EMAIL] drive, an we cant say a word to them,

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

What about those who have a 'full' green light but insist on waiting for the 'turn right' green arrow when there is nothing approaching from the other direction! :(

Dear Jesus that annoys the hell out of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

True enough
    But what about you are in a lane marked for going right and straight ahead. You are in the lane waiting to turn right and a straight ahead filter light comes on.
    You can't turn right as there is a pedestrian crossing with the green man on to your right. When the pedestrian cycle is over the filter light changes to green and away you go.

Basically you are sitting in the correct lane and some driver behind you beeps and abuses you for not breaking a light and for not going through a pedestrian crossing. They want to go straight ahead but won't bother to switch to the lane to their left, you are in their way!

In Dublin, I'm thinking of North Circular Road down to Jones Rd.

Hope I explained that clearly :)

mikemac wrote: »

Basically you are sitting in the correct lane and some driver behind you beeps and abuses you for not breaking a light and for not going through a pedestrian crossing. They want to go straight ahead but won't bother to switch to the lane to their left, you are in their way!
    :)

Hey, it sounds like your in the right there... and it's just wrong that someone be honking someone else that isn't in the wrong...

... my only question would be - did you give adequate notice in advance by indicating your intentions of turning right.... if so... screw the guy behind you and let him wait!!

I sometimes find myself behind a fella in one of those straight ahead or right hand scenarios, and then the eejit decides to turn on his indicator upon the green light, thus locking me in behind him... Jackass behaviour.

• Advertisement

Indeed I did sir, I always put my indicator on in good time.
    Everyone knows the drivers in this forum are the best in Ireland ;)

I hear what you're saying about turning on the indicator when the lights come on, a bit of beeping would be fully deserved for that driver

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Everyone knows the drivers in this forum are the best in Ireland ;)

I hear what you're saying about turning on the indicator when the lights come on, a bit of beeping would be fully deserved for that driver

Well its in the 'Rules of the road to show respect for other road users '

So why not do this at all times and accept that these 'eejit drivers '' are not going to change .......

Why beep at someone , when if you just relax and wait few extra seconds , , the road will normally open up in front of you !

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

I love the converse too! Folks who ignore the fact that a straight green arrow, means you cannot turn right yet. A classic location for this trick is turning right onto Alfie Byrne road from the Clontarf Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

I asked my driving instructor about this at the time.

He was of the opinion that you shouldn't turn right on a full green if the juction also had a turn right green arrow. But he then pointed out that a tester would prob do you for it so you should turn right on it.

I just turn right as its perfectly safe to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

He was of the opinion that you shouldn't turn right on a full green if the juction also had a turn right green arrow. But he then pointed out that a tester would prob do you for it so you should turn right on it.

I always do the same thing, unless there is a dedicated lane for going right and this lane has its own set of traffic lights like going up the Western road in the Ballincollig direction and you're going right for Sunday's Well, in which case I will only go when the filter light goes green.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I agree but there are some juctions where the view of the road ahead is obstructed by a hill or traffic turning right at the other side of the juction, like buses etc. Take the juction of Clanbrasill St / Sth Circular Road (Leonards corner?) for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Rules of the road:
    If you wish to turn right at a set of traffic lights that has an arrow to the right, drive into the junction when you see a green light, taking care not to block any oncoming traffic. Then, when it is safe, finish your turn. You should only wait for the filter arrow for turning right when you are in the junction and if it would be dangerous to finish your turn before the filter light appears.

Pretty clear to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

What pisses me off is that we can't turn left when the lights are red and there is nothing coming, similar to the US Right on Red.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You only can't turn if there is a red light/arrow above the filter light. If not you can proceed with caution.

Or the muppets who won't pull into a right turn box at a junction, especially bad if the filter only comes on when you enter the turn box, when waiting for a filter light on a full round green.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

E92 wrote: »
    I always do the same thing, unless there is a dedicated lane for going right and this lane has its own set of traffic lights like going up the Western road in the Ballincollig direction and you're going right for Sunday's Well, in which case I will only go when the filter light goes green.

Even if there is a safe break in the opposing traffic to execute your manoeuvre? I'm afraid you would get the doot off me if I was sitting behind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Another Dublin junction which seems to cause trouble for the average motorist is the right turn from Collin's Avenue East onto the Swords Road/N1.

There are two dedicated lanes for turning right but those in the right-most of the two (where the van is) seem to assume that those of us in the left of the two lanes are chancers who have decided to turn right from a 'straight on' lane. After making the turn, they then cut across onto the left lane of the two lanes heading north, blowing the traffic on their left out of it and seemingly smug in their attitude that they're better drivers.

CollinsAve-SwordsRdJunction-1.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Simple solution to this is to continue the dashed white lines in a curve around to the other road as they have done at Whites Cross on the N11/Leopardstown Rd. Used to have the same problems there and now it always trouble free.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

True enough
    But what about you are in a lane marked for going right and straight ahead. You are in the lane waiting to turn right and a straight ahead filter light comes on.
    You can't turn right as there is a pedestrian crossing with the green man on to your right. When the pedestrian cycle is over the filter light changes to green and away you go.

In Dublin, I'm thinking of North Circular Road down to Jones Rd.

Hope I explained that clearly :)

There's no pedestrian crossing across the top of Russell street (NCR end of Jones road). Ped crossing on the NCR there alright, and Fitzgibbon street, but you're clear to turn right onto Jones road if there's nothing oncoming and you've a full green light. There's also a specific lane for turning right there, so there shouldn't be any straight ahead traffic sharing the same lane.

Don't have any argument with your basic point all the same.

Fair point, and I forgot it's Russell St, I call it Jones Rd as it makes it easier with taxi drivers.

Yeah, I think they now have lanes marked at that junction but it wasn't like that for first couple of months of 2008.
    There'd be a long queue of cars to go straight ahead so drivers follow the much shorter queue to go right or left

Filter straight arrow comes on, cars going left or right don't move until they get their green light. Then the queue jumper starts beeping as their canny shortcut didn't work unless people break the lights. Do they want people to cross a pedestrian crossing with the green man on?:mad:

I'm glad there are lanes now, was a lot of messing and agressive driving there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

It annoys me when drivers turning right take the racing line, ie they drive over the left lane of the road they are turning onto.

A couple of times coming up to T junctions where I want to turn right, so I would stay near the centre line of the road, and a car comes around the corner cutting over the left lane (racing line).

Same has happened with me on a bicycle where a car does this. had I been there a few seconds earlier I would have been in serious trouble be it on a bike or in a car, accident would be unavoidable.

Advertisement