Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beverly Cooper Flynn, cleaning up at taxpayers expense again!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Well I suppose she has plenty of her court case bills to still pay off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Interesting how she was allowed to rejoin FF just weeks before her father was due back to mahon. Irish politics moves in mysterious ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

When did she clean up before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Darragh29 wrote: »

Ah it's probably just one of those "loans" or "dig-outs"......you know the ones - the ones that FF give themselves or their mistresses when times are tight ? The ones FF NEVER give an ordinary PAYE taxpayer ?

Typical, though - a HUGE furore from FF when someone from FAS or Anglo Irish Bank does this (mind you, without any consequences or firing of anyone responsible) and then SFA from the same FFers when it's "one of their own".

No wonder the country's down the tubes.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

When did she clean up before?

RTÉ pursued a bankruptcy action against Flynn, following her failure to pay the €2.4 million in costs arising from her failed libel action against the station, according to RTÉ's broadcaster, Marian Finucane on her programme of 16 June 2007. Flynn had alleged that she was libelled in six RTÉ broadcasts in 1998, which reported that she had encouraged tax evasion when she was an employee of National Irish Bank. The court found against her, ruling that she had not been libelled and the RTÉ's claims were correct. She also owes a further substantial sum to James Howard, whom she also sued unsuccessfully and she has to discharge her own legal costs arising from this case.

When the bankruptcy action against her opened in the High Court on 18 June 2007, her lawyers were granted a postponement to allow her to challenge the constitutionality of legislation which disqualifies bankrupted persons from Dáil membership. Lawyers for RTÉ accused Flynn of embarking on a "litigious frolic in her own interest".[3] She subsequently abandoned plans to challenge the legislation.

On 24 June 2007, Flynn announced that she had reached a final settlement with RTÉ, paying some €1.24million.[4][5] Because the final settlement fell short of the original €2.4m, RTÉ had to absorb the difference *. This created a major outcry from the general public, media and by some TD's that this was a major abuse of public money[citation needed] as RTÉ is mainly funded by the Television License fee.

She was readmitted to the Fianna Fáil party at a meeting of its National executive on 3 April 2008.[6]

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverley_Flynn

* Note: RTE is primarily funded by the licence payer, namely yourself and myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Maybe she should give the money to Joe Behan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭AKK

What a joke of a situation.

How out of touch with reality are these people? And whatever about the senselessness of Bev's "entitlements", what possible reason could there be for not requiring TDs to vouch for their expenses? Jackie Healy Rae claimed 89,000+ in expenses - how can that possibly be justified, particularly when he surely shouldn't be claiming transport costs - is the state not already paying his way as part of the free transport scheme for the over 66s???? So what exactly can be claimed as an expense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The reason she still gets it is because, if she didnt, she would never have joined FF. The government have rigged the rules to discourage dissent within their own ranks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

well its not lost on people that FF have not had a peep out of them here. Where is the patriotic call now?

The sooner we have an election the better

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

For us mere mortals, there are criminal convictions and prison, for the elite in this banana republic, there are vast financial rewards.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bigdaddyliamo

This grubby little example of political dynasties and their lack of connection to the people is simply astounding. The amount of €40k is slightly misleading as it is the case that the money is a yearly payment which is payable until 2012!!
    Nice to see some will survive the tought times ahead.:rolleyes:

What kind of idiots are electing the Flynn's and their ilk???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Sadly, we'll never understand that sheep mentality:(

Well, if I remember a certain Late Late Show interview, "poor" Padraig probably gets half his election quota from the people who clean and cook in his 3 houses on his "modest" salary. :rolleyes:

And Bev needs something to keep her occupied because there's nothing on TV anymore because RTE can't afford it.

Seriously, though - if it were any other country there's good few [more] FFers who would be in jail......actually, I just thought - maybe we should rename the Dail more appropriately by replacing the first letter......?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Well, if I remember a certain Late Late Show interview, "poor" Padraig probably gets half his election quota from the people who clean and cook in his 3 houses on his "modest" salary. :rolleyes:

And Bev needs something to keep her occupied because there's nothing on TV anymore because RTE can't afford it.

Seriously, though - if it were any other country there's good few [more] FFers who would be in jail......actually, I just thought - maybe we should rename the Dail more appropriately by replacing the first letter......?

Change Fianna Fail to Fianna Jail.

Change Fianna Fail to Fianna Jail.

Ah no - there's no need to change that name much - just remove the fada and it's spot-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bigdaddyliamo

This is what we get for allowing political inbreeding. When nearly every FFer is a brother, sister, aunt, uncle or other it was only going to be a matter of time before the country was being run by 12 fingered political cleatuses!
    :mad:

<Snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its syas in the article he doesn't

its syas in the article he doesn't

Genuinely didn't see that line in the article. And I'd read it twice!

Cheers lostexpectation. Earlier post snipped!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Ah no - there's no need to change that name much - just remove the fada and it's spot-on.

That's very sharp of you Liam. Gave me a good laugh. It would make a great headine.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

Ah Lads, Lads, ye will have to give up all this calumny and detraction boiling up over our publicly selected and elected politicians.

The reason Bev is back and the reason Sean Haughey has been returned to favor and rewarded with a Ministerial Portfolio (Junior) is because the last Taoiseach wanted to step aside from the top political post in the land having embraced dissidents and disaffected alike in a united party for the good of the country as he stepped away having also ministered on his own behalf as the longest serving Taoiseach. Bev's appointment was in the Taoiseach's gift and it has long been so.

Ye may not like it but it's a well recognised truth that the really great players are more likely to be entrapped, sanctioned and sidelined than the carthorses and for reasons too intricate to explore at this juncture.

Some of ye should pay a little more attention at the University of Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The reason Bev is back and the reason Sean Haughey has been returned to favor and rewarded with a Ministerial Portfolio (Junior) is because the last Taoiseach wanted to step aside from the top political post in the land having embraced dissidents and disaffected alike in a united party for the good of the country as he stepped away having also ministered on his own behalf as the longest serving Taoiseach. Bev's appointment was in the Taoiseach's gift and it has long been so.

I think it was more of a case what's good for the Party. Its always been the Party first, cronies second and the country last.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Personally I dont blame her I would take it too . As previously said I agree and blame the muppets that voted for her .It is the dirty face of parish pump politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

In any other country in the world,a 'politician' like herself,would be immediately sacked or forced to resign,tried for fraud and any other wrongdoings,and punished accordingly,in some countries she'd be shot or hanged,an absolute disgusting greedy corrupt and immoral individual,she is as bad as the drug dealers and gangsters that inhibit the seedy underworld,shame on anyone that votes for this chancer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

She truly is a class act :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I bet she has a hell of a job trying to cover up the laughter lines on her face - perhaps the €40K went on cosmetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

After all of the years and billions spent on Judicial Tribunals into many aspects of Irish Political life we get largely nothing....

Then along comes this man Flynn and his daughter who are exposed as being,at best,devoid of ethics and at worst,complicit in serious financial wrongdoing.

And yet we are treated to TV images of the pair of them being chaired around election halls on the shoulders of what can only be described as imbiciles.

Who the hell voted and continues to vote for these "Dynastic" neanderthals...It is sad indeed that 2009 sees Dàil Eireann lose a member with some sense of decency and principle in Tony Gregory whilst simultaneously emptying more feed into the trough of this dreadful woman. (Is this payment subject to the Income Levy ?..perhaps grounds for a clawback clause to be inserted especially for her ?)

When I see or hear of Western based Politicians yet again bemoaning the loss of industry or services in the region I am minded to shrug my shoulders and say "It serves yiz right,what did you expect voting repeatedly for the likes of Pee and Bev".

As the population continues to watch a Taoiseach and Cabinet apparently bereft of realistic ideas or even a half considered survival plan the reality must be dawning that Ireland and it`s people have been raped by successions of Governments since Independence leaving only the likes of the Flynns to smirk down at the rest of us now in the gutter.

Anybody know where one can accquire a tumbril these days....????

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

AlekSmart wrote: »
    After all of the years and billions spent on Judicial Tribunals into many aspects of Irish Political life we get largely nothing....

Then along comes this man Flynn and his daughter who are exposed as being,at best,devoid of ethics and at worst,complicit in serious financial wrongdoing.

And yet we are treated to TV images of the pair of them being chaired around election halls on the shoulders of what can only be described as imbiciles.

Who the hell voted and continues to vote for these "Dynastic" neanderthals...It is sad indeed that 2009 sees Dàil Eireann lose a member with some sense of decency and principle in Tony Gregory whilst simultaneously emptying more feed into the trough of this dreadful woman. (Is this payment subject to the Income Levy ?..perhaps grounds for a clawback clause to be inserted especially for her ?)

When I see or hear of Western based Politicians yet again bemoaning the loss of industry or services in the region I am minded to shrug my shoulders and say "It serves yiz right,what did you expect voting repeatedly for the likes of Pee and Bev".

As the population continues to watch a Taoiseach and Cabinet apparently bereft of realistic ideas or even a half considered survival plan the reality must be dawning that Ireland and it`s people have been raped by successions of Governments since Independence leaving only the likes of the Flynns to smirk down at the rest of us now in the gutter.

Anybody know where one can accquire a tumbril these days....????

Let 'em walk! They'd still be looking down on us from a tumbril.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

AlekSmart wrote: »

Who the hell voted and continues to vote for these "Dynastic" neanderthals...

When I see or hear of Western based Politicians yet again bemoaning the loss of industry or services in the region I am minded to shrug my shoulders and say "It serves yiz right,what did you expect voting repeatedly for the likes of Pee and Bev"....

Alek we don't all vote for the brash necked bit**, but there are enough idiots, particularly around the Castlebar area, that would gladly lick her and her fathers ar**s.
    I can remember when a state car used to drop off her brother to college in Galway. Of course the kids of the dumb smucks that elected Pee Flynn had to take the bus to Galway.
    It probably didn't occurr to them that their taxes allowed sonny to be dropped off in comfort.

A lot of people in Mayo are ashamed to say that we hail from the same county as Beaker, nevermind that she is elected as a representative of our county.
    AFAIK she had the audacity to say on Mid West radio that she was taking the 40 grand on behalf of the people of Mayo :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement