Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beverly Cooper Flynn, cleaning up at taxpayers expense again!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

The systems in place across the whole public sector appears to be shocking.

This is just another example of the inept attitude of the government and indeed the public sector when being accountable for public finances.

We're facing deficits of 8 billion last year, where is it going to end with them all.

I'm losing confidence in this shower to run the country especially when we have a TD claiming 40k because the rules permit it because she was an Independent when she was elected.

The rules are wrong and need to be changed, absolutely farcical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

galwayrush wrote: »
    Sadly, we'll never understand that sheep mentality:(
    • We are the sheep!
    • We elect these people!
    • We deserve whatr we get!

When one looks at the train wreck that is Ireland one wonders will we ever get sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Darragh29 wrote: »
    What kind of idiots are electing the Flynn's and their ilk???
    Well that's the million dollar question. Flynn et al will keep laughing at the general public so long as they keep electing them. When Michael Lowry was in the sh!t, people went home to Tipp in hordes to vote for them man and he won a landslide.

The electorate is in general easily bought and quite stupid. Politicians take credit for 'getting planning' and all sorts of stuff they have no influence over and people believe them and tell their friends that such and such 'is a grand lad' etc.

Parochial parish pump BS that has this country well and truly f'ed.

jmayo wrote: »
    AFAIK she had the audacity to say on Mid West radio that she was taking the 40 grand on behalf of the people of Mayo :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    You should all write to her and ask for your €0.34 then. Smug piece of work. I'd be embarrased if I came from her neck of the woods too.

Has anyone here ever spoken to a Flynn voter/supporter and asked them, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Funny how the common denominator with Bev and Pee is always, but always money. Arrogance and a brass neck and wallow into their own importance seems to be a Flynn trait, but if the locals in Castlebar vote for her they must be getting some benefit to the locale or is it just dogged defiance for the sake of it against Dublin, because it sure defies logic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    or is it just dogged defiance for the sake of it against Dublin, because it sure defies logic.

I think you hit the nail on the head here Mr. M, a certain amount of this is giving the two fingers to the Dublin, "we'll elect whoever we want" mentality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

All politics is local!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Just heard her now on radio one defending her position what an arrogant piece of work remind you of the late late interview with the great Pee.Can anybody in Castlebar defend voting for these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

murphaph wrote: »
    You should all write to her and ask for your €0.34 then. Smug piece of work. I'd be embarrased if I came from her neck of the woods too.

Everyone email her and ask her for their cut.

jank wrote: »
    All politics is local!
    This is true to an extent but it can be combatted by using different systems. I do not like our system of PRSTV whereby we have 'competing' representatives covering the same geographical area (for example, 5 in Mayo I believe). This leads to much more of this parish pump BS than when the whole place elects 1 representative for parliament.

Ireland has also got way too many representatives per capita. 166 in Dail Eireann with 4.4million is 26,500 people per represantative compared to the UK with 646 members of the House of Commons for 61 million people...94,500 people per representative!!! More than three and a half times as many representatives per capita than over there!

So, politics in Ireland is too local.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

Mayo people have always had a superior attitude in Ireland. It's all down to their history and goes back to Famine times and earlier. It's derived from their finer breeding, greater understanding of native needs, and intuitive marketing skills. They draw their strength from the greats of the past, heroes renowned in song and story, why even the late great ChaH had established a Mayo connection and what an endorsement that must be.
    Don't forget the 'Races of Castlebar'.

OK.....'to hell or to Connacht' ala OliverC happened but that only strengthens the Mayo folk because they can truthfully point out that this must mean they come from a purer gene pool while the rest of the plebs derive from the mixed and murkier AngloIrish/Saxon side of humanity.

This is true to an extent but it can be combatted by using different systems. I do not like our system of PRSTV whereby we have 'competing' representatives covering the same geographical area (for example, 5 in Mayo I believe). This leads to much more of this parish pump BS than when the whole place elects 1 representative for parliament.

Ireland has also got way too many representatives per capita. 166 in Dail Eireann with 4.4million is 26,500 people per represantative compared to the UK with 646 members of the House of Commons for 61 million people...94,500 people per representative!!! More than three and a half times as many representatives per capita than over there!

So, politics in Ireland is too local.

I totally agree with you. Things can get too local but thats the way it is all over the world. If the urban areas in the US decided elections we would always have democratic presidents. You need a balance of rural and city. But yea this country takes the piss, especially when you have fools like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

off topic here. I wonder in the by-election for Tony Gregory's seat will fianna fail, green party, or an indopendent run for it. the first two haven't got a chance as for the indopendent, what's to stop him kissing cowens arse when he gets in the doors of Leinster House. I personally think either fine gael or labour will take the seat.

jank wrote: »
    I totally agree with you. Things can get too local but thats the way it is all over the world. If the urban areas in the US decided elections we would always have democratic presidents. You need a balance of rural and city. But yea this country takes the piss, especially when you have fools like her.
    You have hit the nail on the head by referencing the US. Their system has a large bias in favour of rural America which in turn makes red states....just like ours biases rural Ireland. Look at the leadership they had for the last 8 years. It is a very bad thing IMV.

Urban dwellers generally generate the vast bulk of the wealth of any nation due to them coming together to work in an efficient and productive manner. They 'sacrifice' their personal space and in turn I believe they should have more representation for it.

Urban dwellers generally generate the vast bulk of the wealth of any nation due to them coming together to work in an efficient and productive manner. They 'sacrifice' their personal space and in turn I believe they should have more representation for it.

Hmmm isnt that a bit strong of a view. A bit 1984ish:cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

From RTE
    Monday, 5 January 2009 15:15
    Fianna Fáil TD Beverley Flynn says she will continue to claim the independent TDs allowance.
    Speaking to the News at One, Deputy Flynn said she is entitled to the allowance in recognition of the difficulties facing independent TDs being elected to the Dáil.
    She said that she had not received the allowance in the previous Dáil, because she was originally elected as a FF TD.
    Advertisement

She said she had upgraded services in her office as an independent TD and had incurred the associated expenses.
    Ms Flynn says she is entitled to the allowance under the current legislation, which was introduced by then-Finance Minister Charlie McCreevy.

This lady's not for turning !!

I think it's the opposite of 1984, no? You get increased representation for living and working in an urban setting. I wouldn't force anyone at gunpoint to move to an urban setting, just pass the true cost of living in rural Ireland to the occupiers of those one-off houses and let them decide if it's really worth it. Those who choose to move to cities would be rewarded with better services and better representation politically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I think it's the opposite of 1984, no? You get increased representation for living and working in an urban setting. I wouldn't force anyone at gunpoint to move to an urban setting, just pass the true cost of living in rural Ireland to the occupiers of those one-off houses and let them decide if it's really worth it. Those who choose to move to cities would be rewarded with better services and better representation politically.

Im sure if there were no country dwellers wed have no food.

If you want to live in the country you should be allowed to do so, why should the government reward those who dont??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

but if the locals in Castlebar vote for her they must be getting some benefit to the locale or is it just dogged defiance for the sake of it against Dublin, because it sure defies logic.

I think the people at the rural bottom think that if Dublin 4 gets away with tribunals, the medical cartel, the law cartel, the top jobs in the civil service, and banking bonuses for failed muppets who couldnt run a piggy bank, then the little people should get their share. Or at least some of them should.

Silly I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

I think it says a lot about the ppl of mayos attitude , She might be a crook , but she is out crook....

Im sure she is just holding tight like usual, it will all blow over soon...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

she is a disgrace, a symbol of everything that is wrong and immoral in the irish publich service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

asdasd wrote: »
    I think the people at the rural bottom think that if Dublin 4 gets away with tribunals, the medical cartel, the law cartel, the top jobs in the civil service, and banking bonuses for failed muppets who couldnt run a piggy bank, then the little people should get their share. Or at least some of them should.

Silly I know.

If that's true it's just petty prejudice. All those things you've listen have as many rural folk involved as Dublin people anyway, not only that but no matter who you are or where you live you'll end up paying the same for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I guess your efficient living model would include the fine M50 and the great traffic system that is Dublin's traffic infrastructure :rolleyes:
    Yeah and some of these fine city representatives would include Bertie, Charlie, Liam to just name a few of the more well known faces visiting the tribunals :rolleyes:
    Here, did Liam represent Newcastle or is that Mary's stamping ground ?
    BTW do you go to Leinster matches in Donnybrook, your mindset sounds vaguely familiar ?
    delop wrote: »
    I think it says a lot about the ppl of mayos attitude , She might be a crook , but she is out crook....

Im sure she is just holding tight like usual, it will all blow over soon...

How many F***ing times do some of us have to say, she was not voted for by everone in Mayo, so stop lumping us altogether. Half the county never voted for the Flynns, because historically he only ever benefitted West Mayo constituency and in particular the Castlebar roundabout enhancement projects. Alsosomeof us always saw him and her as chancers.
    In case you and some others around here forget, in the last election 3 out of the 5 TD's elected were from the leading oppostion party, FG.
    Maybe if some other constituencies, especially some of the great urban enlightened ones who elected the great Greens, did the same we wouldn't have the current shower of incumbent gobdaws :mad:

So using that ethos, taxpayers outside Dublin should not fund the M50, the Luas, the Port Tunnel and the Metro to name the largest black holes of expenditure.
    All wonderful projects that benefit the whole country :rolleyes:
    Better services ?
    See above list of great semi finished and over priced achievements.
    Better representation ?
    See chancers Bertie, Charlie, Liam etc...
    Sadly one of the few good representatives of the Dublin city passed away last week.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

BTW do you go to Leinster matches in Donnybrook, your mindset sounds vaguely familiar ?
    Don't get personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

She is an opportunistic piece of scum. Greed and self serving smugness personified. The one piece of satisfaction I remembering what a shake up she got when the court kicked her libel case against RTE out.

When a scum bag like her is elected and taken back into FF, you know nothing has changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

Ah, hold on folks, I was watching her on the six one news, have you any idea how much an M class Mercedes must cost to run? She needs every assistance she can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

So using that ethos, taxpayers outside Dublin should not fund the M50, the Luas, the Port Tunnel and the Metro to name the largest black holes of expenditure.
    Better services ?
    Better representation ?
    See chancers Bertie, Charlie, Liam etc...
    Sadly one of the few good representatives of the Dublin city passed away last week.

+1

Mind you, I do feel uncomfortable with that last bit, considering that - aside from all the undeniable good that he did - Tony Gregory was also responsible for landing us with Haughey at one stage.

I guess your efficient living model would include the fine M50 and the great traffic system that is Dublin's traffic infrastructure :rolleyes:
    You're right, Dublin has endured poor planning at the hands of corrupt individuals and to boot, has received far less infrastructural investment than it needs to function properly. Fair play to you for recognising those things.
    Yeah and some of these fine city representatives would include Bertie, Charlie, Liam to just name a few of the more well known faces visiting the tribunals :rolleyes:
    Aye, Dublin has suffered at the hands of these characters but at least as soon as lawlor's wrongdoings became obvious, the people of Dublin West fcuked him out and he was deeply unpopular in the area. I see Bev still represents your county however.
    Here, did Liam represent Newcastle or is that Mary's stamping ground ?
    That would be Mary.
    Not a rugby man I'm afraid.
    Better services ?
    I'd be very careful about making such statements jmayo because quite frankly if Dublin seceeded from the rest of Ireland we'd be well able to afford all these projects ourself. However if Mayo (and plenty others) seceeded from the rest of Ireland they would go back to the stone age as they don't generate the weath to support themseves-don't believe me? check out the last CSO figures. Dublin taxpayers send a billion quid a year outside the county. Most of Leinster is self sufficient, as is Cork. I don't think any of the counties in Connaught are but the cities probably would be if they were viewed without their rural hinterlands attached. Please note that I am not in favour of Ireland breaking apart-just in favour of lifestyle rural dwellers (not bloody farmers and farm labourers-they obviously must live near their place of work) realising that their lifestyle choice is vastly expensive to maintain for the rest of us and they should pay the true cost of deivering services to their isolated homes. That's perfectky fair, isn't it?
    Better representation ?
    Exactly-the half finished bit (I presume you mean Luas) was a decision foisted on us by a silly bint from Athlone by the name of Mary O'Rourke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Well done murphaph - you are a troll par excellence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Mind you, I do feel uncomfortable with that last bit, considering that - aside from all the undeniable good that he did - Tony Gregory was also responsible for landing us with Haughey at one stage.
    Don't forget that Haughey was born in Castlebar. Which takes us full circle.

Dealing with the original point of the thread, unlike BCF's past misdeeds and much as I don't like it, partly because I reckon someone with a bit more honour wouldn't take it under such circumstances, she is entitled to the allowance.
    quad_red wrote: »
    Well done murphaph - you are a troll par excellence.
    Week's ban for accusations of trollery, see section in rules. That's part of what the "report post" button is for.

Advertisement