Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beverly Cooper Flynn, cleaning up at taxpayers expense again!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Ms. Flynn believes she is entitled to the tax free allowance due to the anomaly that has arisen, legally yes but morally no. The row is probably a welcome distraction for Biffo as it provides a distraction from other bad news such as Waterford Wedgwood. IMO Ms. Flynn should cease taking the money in view of the 8 Billion shortfall that the exchequer is experiencing and show a good example, otherwise the public will think that the Flynns never miss a trick and it will continue to sully FF and FF will see that Bev is still a loose cannon maverick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mossyfields

Best solution is that she is expelled from FF. Solves two problems.
    1. She wont have to give the money up.
    2. The many good in FF will breath clean air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

....the many good in FF.....
    [/LIST]
    Would you care to quantify this amount ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

No, no. This is no time for asset shedding. The lady is an adept parliamentarian and convinced her supporters of this time and again.
    B.C. needs her at this vulnerable time in his tenure.
    The Mayo way of doing things tho' is not always understood by outsiders.
    It has something to do with 'not showing the white feather'.

As P once said famously: "I feel most comfortable among my own people".
    This is a time for solidarity and plain dealing. The people expect no less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mossyfields

I thought that point might get me into trouble. :p

Like every group, there are good and bad..... but the fact that FF tolerate this kind of behaviour is unacceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Like every group, there are good and bad..... but the fact that FF tolerate this kind of behaviour is unacceptable.
    I couldn't agree more !
    There will always be 'cute hoors' about. It's the ones that remain silent and in the case of FF, the ones that support these 'cute hoors' who are the real culprits. Just look at the damage people like BCF do to the good name of politics! and all for 'a few bob' and sure aren't they great for pullin' a fast one. It says a lot about those that vote for her !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

murphaph wrote: »
    ......as soon as lawlor's wrongdoings became obvious, the people of Dublin West fcuked him out and he was deeply unpopular in the area. I see Bev still represents your county however.

Fair point, but that's an individual scenario.....have you asked Dublin folk their view of their so-called "man of the people", Bertie ?

And without pre-empting anything that the tribunals may or may not decide, this is the politician who said "I didn't give anyone jobs because they gave me money, I gave them positions because they were my friends".

Nepotism, croneyism and corruption admitted from the horse's mouth, without ANY reference to the outstanding issues surrounding the man.

Bev is just the latest instalment of FF's inbuilt tolerance of chronic opportunism by its members while giving two fingers to both those who had the stupidity to vote them back in, as well as those of us who had more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

Mention of the late Liam Lawlor (R.I.P.) reminds me straight away of the Ethics Committee which he adorned with so much good grace. What L.L. did for the people there has never been fully revealed or appreciated. He had very special talents in that regard which he used to good effect and always in the most beneficial way.

I believe that BCF would be very well qualified for inclusion in the Ethics Committee and I trust that BC has the wit to appoint her there when the current storm goes away which it surely will. The range of skills which she possesses coupled with the experience which she has now acquired given all her travails is remarkable and would be invaluable were it to be made available at such a forum and indeed could not be matched by any other elected representative. Such an appointment would be recognised by the most able political strategists as exceptionally shrewd and maybe the first step back toward calmer seas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Abraham wrote: »
    Mention of the late Liam Lawlor (R.I.P.) reminds me straight away of the Ethics Committee which he adorned with so much good grace. What L.L. did for the people there has never been fully revealed or appreciated. He had very special talents in that regard which he used to good effect and always in the most beneficial way.

I believe that BCF would be very well qualified for inclusion in the Ethics Committee and I trust that BC has the wit to appoint her there when the current storm goes away which it surely will. The range of skills which she possesses coupled with the experience which she has now acquired given all her travails is remarkable and would be invaluable were it to be made available at such a forum and indeed could not be matched by any other elected representative. Such an appointment would be recognised by the most able political strategists as exceptionally shrewd and maybe the first step back toward calmer seas.
    Poacher turned gamekeeper or straightforward sarcasm? With recent Irish political developments I sometimes find it hard to tell the difference between reality and satire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'm wary of this being construed as misrepresenting or misquoting someone else's post, but Abraham - are you SERIOUS ???

Maybe I'm missing something, but I could only read that post as ironic or laced with sarcasm ?

Ethics and BCF/LL in the same sentence ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Irlbo wrote: »
    In any other country in the world,a 'politician' like herself,would be immediately sacked or forced to resign,tried for fraud and any other wrongdoings,and punished accordingly,in some countries she'd be shot or hanged,an absolute disgusting greedy corrupt and immoral individual,she is as bad as the drug dealers and gangsters that inhibit the seedy underworld,shame on anyone that votes for this chancer

here here

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Irlbo wrote: »
    In any other country in the world,a 'politician' like herself,would be immediately sacked or forced to resign,tried for fraud and any other wrongdoings,and punished accordingly,in some countries she'd be shot or hanged,an absolute disgusting greedy corrupt and immoral individual,she is as bad as the drug dealers and gangsters that inhibit the seedy underworld,shame on anyone that votes for this chancer

Well Said!
    This Banana Republic needs a complete overhaul

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Heard Martin Mansera on Mat Cooper last night saying she should stop
    taking this extra lolly . So I suppose most of the other FF TD's would be of the same opinion it it will be intersting to see if she will brasen it out in true peacock style.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well if FF had any honour at all they would put her in a position where she was morally right to be claiming the allowance and expel her from the party.

They won't do this though given the precarious numbers supporting the government. She is exactly the sort of person we do not need in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

murphaph wrote: »
    You're right, Dublin has endured poor planning at the hands of corrupt individuals and to boot, has received far less infrastructural investment than it needs to function properly. Fair play to you for recognising those things.

Aye, Dublin has suffered at the hands of these characters but at least as soon as lawlor's wrongdoings became obvious, the people of Dublin West fcuked him out and he was deeply unpopular in the area. I see Bev still represents your county however.

I'd be very careful about making such statements jmayo because quite frankly if Dublin seceeded from the rest of Ireland we'd be well able to afford all these projects ourself. However if Mayo (and plenty others) seceeded from the rest of Ireland they would go back to the stone age as they don't generate the weath to support themseves-don't believe me? check out the last CSO figures. Dublin taxpayers send a billion quid a year outside the county. Most of Leinster is self sufficient, as is Cork. I don't think any of the counties in Connaught are but the cities probably would be if they were viewed without their rural hinterlands attached. Please note that I am not in favour of Ireland breaking apart-just in favour of lifestyle rural dwellers (not bloody farmers and farm labourers-they obviously must live near their place of work) realising that their lifestyle choice is vastly expensive to maintain for the rest of us and they should pay the true cost of deivering services to their isolated homes. That's perfectky fair, isn't it?

Exactly-the half finished bit (I presume you mean Luas) was a decision foisted on us by a silly bint from Athlone by the name of Mary O'Rourke.

Hang on is your gripe about rural dwellers because of townies and city types moving to the country and setting up big mansions or even worse holiday homes ?
    Becuase if it is then we agree, there are too many bleedin Dubs and the like around the place cloggin up the roads with their 4x4 fancy jeeps ;)

So if Dublin dumped Lawlor, how did they miss Burke and Bertie who is still seen by some natives as yer only man ?

BTW one of the ministers also involved in Luas planning was the departed Brennan (Dublin South constituency) and I believe the reason for not joining the lines had to do with keeping the project running rather than saying it was complete ala the Dart. Irish planning or lack of...

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Ms. Flynn believes she is entitled to the tax free allowance due to the anomaly that has arisen, legally yes but morally no. The row is probably a welcome distraction for Biffo as it provides a distraction from other bad news such as Waterford Wedgwood. IMO Ms. Flynn should cease taking the money in view of the 8 Billion shortfall that the exchequer is experiencing and show a good example, otherwise the public will think that the Flynns never miss a trick and it will continue to sully FF and FF will see that Bev is still a loose cannon maverick.

The Flynns never miss a trick to make money for themselves :mad:
    No, no. This is no time for asset shedding. The lady is an adept parliamentarian and convinced her supporters of this time and again.

PS not everyone in Mayo is a flynnite or a slimey brass necked old bag. Sadly there are some that reckon she will feather their nests and will vote for her. :mad:

Meow .....

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

BCF sounds like a disease !!:P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

BCF sounds like a disease !!:P

A cancer of the body politic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

She is a useless person who has made a career out of taking legal actions and sueing people for defamation and losing everytime. The only attribute associated with her that can be quantified to any degree is her brass neck. She epitomises everything that is wrong with politics in this country, the brass neck, the stroke, the nepotism, the brown envelope, tax evasion/avoidance, to name but a few. She is just another pig with her nose firmly in the state trough, and how on earth she has a constituency is literally beyond me. There must be something unsavory in the water in her constituency, that's all I can say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Darragh29 wrote: »
    There must be something unsavory in the water in her constituency, that's all I can say...

I dont know a constituency which voted against the current government as much as Mayo. I has an abnorally high level of opposition TD's. FF is like a pinned in rat in Mayo and what results from that, a candidate that epitomises the FF mandra like Bev regardless of her time an a so called indo. So I think your 'unsavory water' comment is pure horse manure.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

RobFowl wrote: »
    She truly is a class act :D

Indeed. Who should be kicked out of public office for keeps! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

dodgyme wrote: »
    I dont know a constituency which voted against the current government as much as Mayo. I has an abnorally high level of opposition TD's. FF is like a pinned in rat in Mayo and what results from that, a candidate that epitomises the FF mandra like Bev regardless of her time an a so called indo. So I think your 'unsavory water' comment is pure horse manure.

Who are the people who are voting for this woman up in Mayo??? Can someone maybe explain to me the typical voter who votes for this candidate???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Who are the people who are voting for this woman up in Mayo??? Can someone maybe explain to me the typical voter who votes for this candidate???

Blinkered voting addicts like the countless others around the country who would would vote for a lump of wood that was once held by a 1922 winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I would guess most of the Flynn support would be centered around Castlebar, since flynn always looked after it.
    Mayo was up until quiet recently two 3 seater constituencies.
    Thus Mayo West had pee flynn for most if not all of his career and guess what all the great roads he was supposedly responsible for were built starting in West Mayo.
    Castlebar did well under his time (dept of agriculture moved section down there, GMIT was created, hospital extension, new roads, bypasses) and thus he, and by implication his spawn, would still have support base there.
    Ah sure didn't he look after us and so will she mentality.

There are also some noses out of joint within the local FF party in the constituency since she was kicked out, then ran against the local party, probably denying one of the loyalists a seat by grabbing their votes, and then she was parachuted back into the party by head office ala bertie.
    AFAIK the biggest FF party opposition to her reinstatement came from some local cumman members :rolleyes:
    Thus you will find some in Mayo FF circles that will happily want to see her shafted.

PS the constituency has Enda Kenny, Michael Ring (ala wind up John O'Donghue fame) and John O'Mahony (ala can win football titles with counties other than Mayo) from FG and Dara Calleary who followed in daddies footsteps by being elected for FF, using daddies old stronghold around Ballina.
    Three of the current TDS had a daddy that was a TD, probably very similar around the country.

I am not allowed discuss …

321654 wrote: »
    well its not lost on people that FF have not had a peep out of them here. Where is the patriotic call now?

The sooner we have an election the better

The electorate will have forgotten all about this by then. Or at least thats what they're hoping for.

Who are the people who are voting for this woman up in Mayo??????

They are from around one town, namely castlebar and the point you made tarnished the whole constituency which I assure you is not pro FF or pro government. My point is that she was voted in possibly because of the divisions amongst FF in mayo and caused by Bev herself back to when she wanted to be put on the ticket. Bev has a hardcore support around this one town but the rest of the constituents shown by the results voted anti - government when the rest of the plebs in this country stroked FF and put them back in power. Its a big constituency with alot of miles in it.

They are from around one town, namely castlebar and the point you made tarnished the whole constituency which I assure you is not pro FF or pro government. My point is that she was voted in possibly because of the divisions amongst FF in mayo and caused by Bev herself back to when she wanted to be put on the ticket. Bev has a hardcore support around this one town but the rest of the constituents shown by the results voted anti - government when the rest of the plebs in this country stroked FF and put them back in power. Its a big constituency with alot of miles in it.

There is obviously something wrong up there when a candidate with this attitude gets elected as a TD. Sorry if you take that type of a consideration up as an affort to the whole constituency, I'm all for democracy but anyone who votes for a candidate with a neck that is clearly made of granite, who has been baptised and initiated with the sewerage, p*ss and sh*t that is associated with the FF organisation, should be ashamed of themselves.

Sorry if you take that type of a consideration up as an affort to the whole constituency,.

yes I do since I responded (and you havent digested) to your earlier comment which is an affront to the whole constituency:rolleyes:
    and how on earth she has a constituency is literally beyond me. There must be something unsavory in the water in her constituency, that's all I can say...
    :rolleyes:

you know the ins and outs of the constituency? and others here have tried to educate you but???

Also Bev is not stupid but brass necked. These characters exist and FF should never have allowed her back. Cowen should remove her from FF but then again FF is the home of the scoundrel.

yes I do since I responded (and you havent digested) to your earlier comment which is an affront to the whole constituency:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

you know the ins and outs of the constituency? and others here have tried to educate you but???

Also Bev is not stupid but brass necked. These characters exist and FF should never have allowed her back. Cowen should remove her from FF but then again FF is the home of the scoundrel.

It's not for Cowen to remove her, it's for the idiots in her constituency to stop re-electing her, she is an unacceptable waste of taxpayers money, just like her Father.

If you take on a Supreme Court case without the means of paying for it if you lose, then you are indeed stupid. That's the reason why we can't all go to court when we want to, because we can't afford it.

• Advertisement

It's not for Cowen to remove her, it's for the idiots in her constituency to stop re-electing her, she is an unacceptable waste of taxpayers money, just like her Father.

you clearly know nothing about how votes ended up being distributed in the constituency. If FG was weaker and FF in mayo not so entrenched, Bev might not have been elected. Its electoral polarisation. I dont like the fact that Bev was elected but it is up to cowen to remove her from FF. I think you are just trolling because your arguments are child like... but anyway
    If you take on a Supreme Court case without the means of paying for it if you lose, then you are indeed stupid.

Not really. First she had the money to pay, her partner is a wealthy man. Secondly she took a risk and was still re-elected so....oh sorry she is stupid:rolleyes:

If she won the case she had a cabinet seat. She also got a massive reduction on the intial costs also and held her seat, is back in FF in a place where FF are thin on the ground and has 41k for no reason but no one can take it off her.:rolleyes:

she paid a price but thats it.

Advertisement