Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beverly Cooper Flynn, cleaning up at taxpayers expense again!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

CDfm wrote: »
    So what you are saying is that the party pay her expenses and the issue is a procedural one and the she is getting the 41k via a different route.

No big deal.
    That isn't what I'm saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

"She said the allowance was used to benefit her constituents and she was deeply hurt by some media outlets portraying her as dishonest."

SHE is deeply hurt???

WE are deeply hurt to have to have someone dishonest in a position of influence! Everyone outside of Castlebar, that is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

What are you talking about "survived where others couldn't"

In Britain a public representative will always do the right thing and resign when rumbled. This country is in greater defecit than the British ever allowed us to be in when they ruled. It's disgusting to say it but the British did a better job (in almost every way) ruling and subjugating us than we ever have freely...and that's after over 80 years of ineptitude and bumbling...I'm ashamed this amoral ethical vaccum represents any Irish people...even if they are absolute imbeciles living off a roundabout in Castlebar

I am saying that her political skills are appropriate to the Irish political system which puts political power and sectoral issues ahead of what is to the countries benefit.

Thats not saying I agree with her.

You make important points but they are lost in "west Brit" style rhetoric.

It always seems to me that everytime you get a big issue lets say like the HSE or nurses the parties all line up and battle lines are drawn. So rather then getting general agreement on fundamental core issues across party lines for the general good. We have cross party agitation and policy sabotage from political rivals in really dirty politics.

For a country our size that doesnt have money or resourses they argue about 41k but see nothing about a few billion being wasted to stay or get in power.Our politicians should be jumping over each other to save money not spend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

This country is great isn't it? Fifteen to twenty years of boom time blown on cars, foreign holidays, Bertie Bowl consultants fees etc etc. We get an early budget because the shower of eejits in office are scared that if they're not seen to be doing something they'll get crucified at the next elections. Hopefully they still will. The administration yaps on about the good oirish citizen tightening his belt and not shopping outside the jurisdiction. Get real.

Then it comes to light that a prominent Mayo TD is accepting an allowance that she really should have handed back to the state as a matter of principle and what happens? In order to get her to give it up the leader of her party has to 'explain' things to her.

The patrician class in this country really has to wise up.

Riv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Not quite hot air, but it's a little more complicated than many people seem to get.
    Allot of people think that she was getting €41,000 extra, but the difference is that the money is going straight to her, without being monitored by the party.

In that case, she should have no problem giving it back. The only reason she saw any benefit in keeping it, is that she can audit it herself. Furthermore, it is possible that Fianna Fail dont divide up the loot equally amongst their TDs. Remember how sore Jim McDaid got before the past election. He claimed that the party had ceased helping him before the election, and it was clear that monetary resources were not going his way. Equally, Joe Behan will not avail of any of these resources as he has lost the whip. He is an independent, who will have to wait until the next Dail, or until his readmission into Fianna Fail, to get any of this.

However, I still believe that in effect she was recieving EXTRA money, even though that extra money may not amount to the full 41,000. Until we know how parties divide this allowance up internally, then its impossible to know how much she was benefitting from this allowance.

The Liam Twomey issue is also a Red Herring. Twomey and Cooper Flynn are poles apart. Twomey was elected as an Independent, without any party ties behind him. His subsequent admission to Fine Gael was a personal choice, and one which hampered him in May 2007 as a result of the set nature of the Wexford vote. On the other hand, Cooper Flynn was part of the Flynn dynasty. Her Father was seen as one of the most belligerant and arrogant politicians of our time, he was subsequently seen to have been involved in heavily shady dealings, and in 1999 defended his offspring when she was being accused of aiding and abetting tax avaision. Her subsequent legal challanges disproved her claims of innocence, and she was expelled from Fianna Fail. For the intervening four years she continued to make waves about re-entry to Fianna Fail, which caused a huge split in the cummanns in Mayo. Her re-entry to the party was the last dispicable act, of a now virtually discredited man.

She has handed this over as a result of internal and external pressure. However, this is unlikely to be sufficient to repudiate the existing negative attitudes of the public towards her

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

K4t wrote: »
    before bed time in her Castle (yes it's a castle) off the N5 in Castlebar

locally known as 'beverly hills'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Het-Field wrote: »

She has handed this over as a result of internal and external pressure. However, this is unlikely to be sufficient to repudiate the existing negative attitudes of the public towards her

Sadly, a negative public attitude will not stop her being re-elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

wonder will she pay it back half ways,remember the tax payer is still paying off her stupid case against rte,whilst the the joe soap at the time was been sent to jail for not paying an €150 tv licence at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

jmayo wrote: »
    Three of the current TDS had a daddy that was a TD.

Is it wrong to admit that I read "STD" rather than "TDS" there? ...

Fred83 wrote: »
    wonder will she pay it back half ways,remember the tax payer is still paying off her stupid case against rte,whilst the the joe soap at the time was been sent to jail for not paying an €150 tv licence at the time
    I dunno if the case was that stupid.The reporting was not all that accurate and certainly not of a standard that you would expect from a public broadcaster.IMO the case had more to do with her fathers reputation than hers.

It showed everyone the costs and futility of fighting the media.

RTE took the case. Dont forget they have given Lucy Kennedy her own show and that has to0 be an appaling waste of public money

I dont like BCF but RTE were not saints here and pursued a case that exposed their sloppy journalism.

• Advertisement

Lemming wrote: »
    IT stands for Sitting TD and I will allow it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Sadly, a negative public attitude will not stop her being re-elected.

Wasn't she elected on the 6th count on the last occasion??? Not exactly a poll topper! If any of the rest of us owed RTE or any other party for that matter, over a million Euro, we'd have the house sold from under us for the debt, or for whatever could be got for the asset, even if it didn't fully cover the debt.

How come this theiving tax avoiding disgrace wasn't dealt with in the same manner???

This is what annoys the fu*k out of me about this country. Loose comments are always made about people like Flynn and Cowen, about their perceived level of intelligence or ability...

Let's just look for a second at two urban myths doing the rounds in recent times...

(1) Brian Cowen is an extremely intelligent, academic, and capable person who is suited well to the position that he currently holds.

He doesn't appear to be intelligent to me, he certainly cannot communicate effectively, which makes me question his intelligence, he is definitely not capable, in fact every brief that he has been associated with in this country while he was a minister has been an epic disaster, in particular his time as Minister for Health, which he basically walked out of, his time in Finance, when the seeds of the current calamity were being sown, and now he is running the country and the place has never been in a mess like the one we aer in at the moment.

(2) Beverly Cooper Flynn is an extremely capable parlimentarian who has great things to offer this country.

She was caught out defrauding the country of tax on a substantial scale a number of years ago, she argued that she was not guilty, the High Court disagreed with her. She appealed the decision to the Supreme Court. They disagreed with her also, and then she realised that she didn't have the money or anywhere near the money to take the actual legal challenge in the first place.

Not learning her lesson, she realised that she could be ineligible to put herself forward for election to the Dail on the basis of her being bankrupt, so she then decides to take ANOTHER legal challenge to the contitiutional requirement that stipulates that she must be solvent to run for the Dail. She still hasn't paid for the previous two cases that she lost yet, but she runs back to the court for another remedy that she can ill afford, which she subsequently drops.

Who on earth can say that this woman has anything to offer this country except more legal challenges and unpaid debts???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Wasn't she elected on the 6th count on the last occasion???
    8th (mind you, it was the 10th the time before). In 2007 she was 3000 votes ahead of her nearest opposition after the 8th count though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Lemming wrote: »

No worries.
    It can be easy to mix up TDs with STDs, particularly when talking of the case of one particular TD.

I really wonder what Biffo promised Beaker in order to get her to give up the allowance, becuase if it came down to a ball kicking contest during that meeting, she has bigger ones made out of wrought iron.

Maybe if they last in government we will find her chairing the Ethics Committee, much like that other fine up standing individual, Deputy Lawlor, did before his demise :rolleyes:

Funny how all the FFers that were braying last year before and just after the election have all disappeared from the politics forum.
    I guess they are waiting for the much anticipated globally inspired upturn ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

HydeRoad wrote: »
    "She said the allowance was used to benefit her constituents and she was deeply hurt by some media outlets portraying her as dishonest."

SHE is deeply hurt???

WE are deeply hurt to have to have someone dishonest in a position of influence! Everyone outside of Castlebar, that is...
    Nah, ask any student with an interest in Current Affairs in a Castlebar secondary school and they'll tell you what they think of her in no uncertain terms. Hopefully 'family politics' is beginning to disappear in Ireland.
    dodgyme wrote: »
    locally known as 'beverly hills'
    The Beverly Hillbillies had had a better sense of moral justice than that tramp.
    Not quite hot air, but it's a little more complicated than many people seem to get.
    Allot of people think that she was getting €41,000 extra, but the difference is that the money is going straight to her, without being monitored by the party.
    Basically, it means that Dail Ministers are an over-paid bunch of nit wits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I really wonder what Biffo promised Beaker in order to get her to give up the allowance, becuase if it came down to a ball kicking contest during that meeting, she has bigger ones made out of wrought iron.

I would not be a bit surprised if one day we learned that she was to be the next Tanaiste.:rolleyes: Any deals were worked out IMO with Pee and Bertie so little old Bev believes that she has a free hand to do as she will. Poor FF, can it get any worse, the Party in the form of the Government making cuts everywhere and Bev with her hand in the till, what a paradox.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

CDfm wrote: »
    I dunno if the case was that stupid.The reporting was not all that accurate and certainly not of a standard that you would expect from a public broadcaster.IMO the case had more to do with her fathers reputation than hers.

It showed everyone the costs and futility of fighting the media.

RTE took the case. Dont forget they have given Lucy Kennedy her own show and that has to0 be an appaling waste of public money

I dont like BCF but RTE were not saints here and pursued a case that exposed their sloppy journalism.
    In almost every post you've made you say "I'm not a fan..." or "I don't like her but..." and then go on to defend her behaviour. Seems strange. You sure you don't like her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Abraham wrote: »
    B-E-V stands for Bravery - Eminence - Valour and all these things can only be aspired to by others less fortunate.

Still hoping this is a troll or a Flynn (is there a difference ?) but just in case.....

Give us ONE example of those virtues that applies to Ms Flynn before claiming they apply....go on.....I'll even make it a fill-in-the-blanks for you so that you've no excuse not to.

Bravery :
    Eminence :
    Valour :

If you actually believe your own tripe, you've surely got at least ONE example / reason for each ?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Still hoping this is a troll or a Flynn (is there a difference ?) but just in case.....

Give us ONE example of those virtues that applies to Ms Flynn before claiming they apply....go on.....I'll even make it a fill-in-the-blanks for you so that you've no excuse not to.

Bravery :
    Eminence :
    Valour :

If you actually believe your own tripe, you've surely got at least ONE example / reason for each ?

How about BEV=

B******T
    Errant
    Vindictive and VAIN oh so vain. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

HydeRoad wrote: »
    Ah, hold on folks, I was watching her on the six one news, have you any idea how much an M class Mercedes must cost to run? She needs every assistance she can get.

Imagine trying to run three cars - it's not Easy I tell ya, you try it....

In fairness to Mayomen and Mayowimmen, 80% of the TD's elected in Mayo weren't Flynns, and she wasn't even in FF when she was elected and 60% of the TD's are in Fine Gael.

just heard the cabinet are changing the law to prevent this in future. Doesn't go far enough, all civil service/pubic service expenses should be receipted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Pedrospuds

We should take a chapter out of the iranian book and cut a ****ing hand off her for her selfish behaviour !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Pedrospuds wrote: »
    We should take a chapter out of the iranian book and cut a ****ing hand off her for her selfish behaviour !!!

No, just cut off the money. And the political support that got her in as a TD.

Well Bev appears to have been appropriately chastized by Biffo for her errant behaviour. No doubt for many in Castlebar her status has increased greatly since this latest slight on their very own Bev.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Wasn't she elected on the 6th count on the last occasion??? Not exactly a poll topper! If any of the rest of us owed RTE or any other party for that matter, over a million Euro, we'd have the house sold from under us for the debt, or for whatever could be got for the asset, even if it didn't fully cover the debt.

How come this theiving tax avoiding disgrace wasn't dealt with in the same manner???

This is what annoys the fu*k out of me about this country. Loose comments are always made about people like Flynn and Cowen, about their perceived level of intelligence or ability...

Let's just look for a second at two urban myths doing the rounds in recent times...

(1) Brian Cowen is an extremely intelligent, academic, and capable person who is suited well to the position that he currently holds.

He doesn't appear to be intelligent to me, he certainly cannot communicate effectively, which makes me question his intelligence, he is definitely not capable, in fact every brief that he has been associated with in this country while he was a minister has been an epic disaster, in particular his time as Minister for Health, which he basically walked out of, his time in Finance, when the seeds of the current calamity were being sown, and now he is running the country and the place has never been in a mess like the one we aer in at the moment.

(2) Beverly Cooper Flynn is an extremely capable parlimentarian who has great things to offer this country.

She was caught out defrauding the country of tax on a substantial scale a number of years ago, she argued that she was not guilty, the High Court disagreed with her. She appealed the decision to the Supreme Court. They disagreed with her also, and then she realised that she didn't have the money or anywhere near the money to take the actual legal challenge in the first place.

Not learning her lesson, she realised that she could be ineligible to put herself forward for election to the Dail on the basis of her being bankrupt, so she then decides to take ANOTHER legal challenge to the contitiutional requirement that stipulates that she must be solvent to run for the Dail. She still hasn't paid for the previous two cases that she lost yet, but she runs back to the court for another remedy that she can ill afford, which she subsequently drops.

Who on earth can say that this woman has anything to offer this country except more legal challenges and unpaid debts???

Point 2:
    Flynn was doing what a large majority of people who were financial advisors working in banks were doing at the time. Advising their clients to put their money into these offshore accounts. She, like the remainder of them never got charged in a legal manner nor paid any fines for any of these "offences" if that is what they were.
    The mistake she made was to go after the media outlets which reported on this and then say that she broke no laws when it was obvious that she did make mistakes but only the same mistakes that others made at the time.

The reason the woman is so loved in Mayo is as a result of what her father did for the county town of Castlebar. This will number her days of getting elected in castlebar I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Pedrospuds wrote: »
    She didn't steal anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Look, forget about the ins and outs of the whole thing.

A blind and drunk ball less hobo,soaked in sour whiskey, would have had the savvy to realise that in these difficult times she couldn't brazen her way out of it.

Yet she thought she could. Some 'judgement ' for a potential Minister.

God spare us.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Well Bev appears to have been appropriately chastized by Biffo for her errant behaviour. No doubt for many in Castlebar her status has increased greatly since this latest slight on their very own Bev.:D
    Nonsense. I would wager that Brain Coward has offered her something in exchange for backing down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

Seems to be open season on Beverley right now. No doubt she can hear the howling curs at the gate but the drawbridge is up and will remain so until they are distracted or lose interest which is normal for those with limited intellect. They have no staying power, they are not stoics as our founder Eamonn de Valera would have intoned.

What harm but Bev was all set after the last hiccup to blaze a trail as a crusader and to set new standards for our people especially our women folk wherever she went. Sadly the great opportunities are now being wasted by the cant and hypocrisy of a small coterie of belittlers. Nobody better than that lady to know that she was surrounded by mediocrity and she was all set to ring the changes. But the enormous promise of such a gifted politician is now a loss to the nation and we will have to carry on regardless and manage as best we can.

In the Black Art of Irish politics, unthinking conformity was not Bev's forte.
    But our Bev, so regal in countenance will stride on to fulfil her destiny when the present wind gust abates. Then we will see 'True Grit' because the lady is not for turning.

Abraham wrote: »
    What harm but Bev was all set after the last hiccup to blaze a trail as a crusader and to set new standards for our people especially our women folk wherever she went.
    A night out with Bev or Enda - Bev would be more fun and you would want her with you in a fight. She stood up for her Da in the Dail. Shes got balls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

And yet me and you are being called unpatriotic if we try to save a few hundred or even a few thousand on shopping outside the state.
    Just don't know how to please our political masters :(

The tourist industry in Ireland is in trouble, do all TDs holiday in Ireland and spend money here?
    I don't realy know but I do know some of our councillors go to New York every St. Patricks day along with their husband/wife to "attract business"
    Is that not what we pay the IDA to do? :confused:

I don't think I've ever had 40k saved at any one time, I'd imagine many others at the same. Sheer and utter arrogance going on here

Advertisement