Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beverly Cooper Flynn, cleaning up at taxpayers expense again!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

CDfm wrote: »
    RTE took the case. Dont forget they have given Lucy Kennedy her own show and that has to0 be an appaling waste of public money

surely lucys show coundnt be bad as colin and jim jims,or is it?

mikemac wrote: »
    And yet me and you are being called unpatriotic if we try to save a few hundred or even a few thousand on shopping outside the state.
    Just don't know how to please our political masters :(

The tourist industry in Ireland is in trouble, do all TDs holiday in Ireland and spend money here?
    I don't realy know but I do know some of our councillors go to New York every St. Patricks day along with their husband/wife to "attract business"
    Is that not what we pay the IDA to do? :confused:

I don't think I've ever had 40k saved at any one time, I'd imagine many others at the same. Sheer and utter arrogance going on here

never got that at all,i mean,they want us to keep and spend money in ireland,then they go out abroad,for what?,is it a novelty thing,so a president of a country can go ,oh we have an actual irish person here :S

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Sadly, a negative public attitude will not stop her being re-elected.

michael lowry springs to mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Fred83 wrote: »
    surely lucys show coundnt be bad as colin and jim jims,or is it?
    Oh yes it could.

Rumour has it that herself and Seoige are doing panto next year in Jack and the Beanstalk.

Seoige is the Beanstalk and Lucy is a Stick - she got the part cos her presence is so wooden.

Anyway the hero climbs up a Castle and runs away with a sum of money -41k I believe;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

never got that at all,i mean,they want us to keep and spend money in ireland,then they go out abroad,for what?,is it a novelty thing,so a president of a country can go ,oh we have an actual irish person here :S

Don't realy understand your post.
    I would agree with the President going wherever is neccesary and if that means more money to be spent so be it.

I don't see why councillors go to New York, Chicago or Boston as examples every St. Patricks Day at ratepayers expense.
    And if it's a business trip, why is their partner travelling also?

I remember the fury at Roddy Molloy and the 1st class flights. And yet, county councillors also get flights (ok, not 1st class) & hotels for themselves and their husband/wife and never a word said.
    Lol, it's to "attract business". Leave that to the professionals in the IDA and admit it's a junket.
    Hell if the councillors went on their own I might even respect them, but leave your partner at home at least pay for them!

My post is badly off topic, apologies OP
    michael lowry springs to mind!

Gonna get flamed but as a voter in Tipp North, Michael Lowry does a lot for the area, more then our FF junior minister or our new FG TD. It's not suprising, he is an indepandant and that's all he has to concentrate on. He easily tops the poll every time and most people I know voted for him

Imo, there is no comparison between what he did and what he does now compared to Beverly Cooper Flynn.
    I suppose I do recognize why people vote for someone who is dodgy/incompetent but good for their local area. Martin Cullen, the only minister in the south east for example?

• Advertisement

i was just agreeing with you mate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Abraham wrote: »

Yada, yada, yada....but no answers. I'm gonna act like a tribunal and ask again for you to stand over what you said earlier and expand on it:

Bravery :
    Eminence :
    Valour :

Mind you, I expect I'll have the same amount of success as any straight question to a FF taoiseach/member/supporter

I will, however, partially agree on one thing:
    ....distracted or lose interest which is normal for those with limited intellect.

That sentence explains perfectly how FF got voted in again and "forgot" all the wastage and dodgy dealings that FF supported, condoned and/or ignored.

Those with limited intellect got distracted and ignored the facts.

to add to the FF lingo

any items or projects these days arent "cancelled" ,they are "on hold"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 localnutjob

those with limited intellect = at least 50 to 60 % or more of the population

the moron and scum count in this country is only getting bigger for some reason .

i was just agreeing with you mate :)
    but why is Bev being targeted if her actions are the same as other TDs or councillors -she is much better value than others. I can only name one of my local TDs but know Bev represents Castlebar.

The more I think about what she has done -she rises in my estimation as pretty tough which is what you want in a representative.

• Advertisement

but why is Bev being targeted if her actions are the same as other TDs or councillors -she is much better value than others. I can only name one of my local TDs but know Bev represents Castlebar.

Explained earlier. She didn't pay legal fees because she "hadn't any money", and therefore RTE (i.e. via the TV licence, US) have already given her a "dig-out" out of our own pockets, with no choice in the matter.

Now we're paying her "expenses" that she may never have incurred.

What people seem to forget is that all of these bills and expenses and waste come out of OUR pockets.

If you personally think BCF is worth an extra tenner in your TV licence and an extra 40K, fire away and pay her out of your own pocket, CDfm - that's your prerogative.

But I'm sick of FF pickpocketing me to bail out their dodgy party colleagues, pay for elongated tribunals because their members won't co-operate, pay to have Ray Burke kept in jail, pay coz FF decide to bail out their banking and construction buddies who've made millions over the last 6 or 7 years, etc, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

kbannon wrote: »
    Nonsense. I would wager that Brain Coward has offered her something in exchange for backing down!

mmmm possibly????

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Seems to be open season on Beverley right now. No doubt she can hear the howling curs at the gate but the drawbridge is up and will remain so until they are distracted or lose interest which is normal for those with limited intellect. They have no staying power, they are not stoics as our founder Eamonn de Valera would have intoned.

What harm but Bev was all set after the last hiccup to blaze a trail as a crusader and to set new standards for our people especially our women folk wherever she went. Sadly the great opportunities are now being wasted by the cant and hypocrisy of a small coterie of belittlers. Nobody better than that lady to know that she was surrounded by mediocrity and she was all set to ring the changes. But the enormous promise of such a gifted politician is now a loss to the nation and we will have to carry on regardless and manage as best we can.

In the Black Art of Irish politics, unthinking conformity was not Bev's forte.
    But our Bev, so regal in countenance will stride on to fulfil her destiny when the present wind gust abates. Then we will see 'True Grit' because the lady is not for turning.

Holy Sh*t! Your either being cleverly sarcastic or you are Beverly Cooper Flynn's henpecked husband. How can anyone stick up for a member of that crooked family?

Bring on the revolution. I'd like to teach these arrogant TD's a lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

In orchestrating these attacks on the noble Bev, many of the scripters seem to take umbrage at the fact that the dear lady is not more openly contrite.
    Perhaps a little explanation will assist with this comprehension deficit and in saying that, I am conscious of the fact that in virtually every class of people there will be some slow learners but we must be patient and persevere with them in order that they can overcome their shortcomings.

Stated simply, this is the position. Bev doesn't do 'humble'....... end of.
    It just does not suit her style. Grovelling and deferring comes easily to some but not to Beverley.....no...never. In so presenting, she aligns herself meritoriously with some of the greats of history. Margaret Thatcher didn't do humble.......Charles H didn't do humble........Countess Markievicz didn't do humble..........neither did de Valera.....neither did that other great inspirational icon from Ireland's Atlantic coast mists namely Grace O'Malley....Granuaile.......it would never have suited their respective styles and they would not have commanded the respect accorded them by history had they done so.

They did not steer by the star of fashion, they were not drawn to the sound of applause, rather were they guided by the ultimate criterion, that is to say nobility of purpose.

Who could lay claim to that mantle in the modern era in Irish politics better than Beverley Cooper-Flynn ?

Liam Byrne......really......if you still don't know what's going on here then no words of mine can help you.....you are beyond redemption and cannot be saved. My most sympathetic thoughts are with you. Perhaps if you were to read through the entire thread again, clarity might be attained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scruttocks

Alright, correct me if I'm wrong here, but these payments are due to independent TDs on the grounds that they don't have party support, and people are not contesting that.

Ms Flynn became an independent TD when her allegiance to Fianna Fáil broke, and she lost the party's support. However, as she was elected as a party member, she was not entitled to the 41k a year, yet she continued without either variety of support.

She missed out on the entitlement due to a quirk of the system, and now she's receiving it when she shouldn't be getting it. It doesn't seem fair that she should only face the negative flaws in the system and not benefit from the corresponding gain on the other side.

Everyone seems so angry, I must be missing something. Tell me what it is before I have this argument with someone in real life and embarrass myself

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Explained earlier. She didn't pay legal fees because she "hadn't any money", and therefore RTE (i.e. via the TV licence, US) have already given her a "dig-out" out of our own pockets, with no choice in the matter.

Now we're paying her "expenses" that she may never have incurred.

What people seem to forget is that all of these bills and expenses and waste come out of OUR pockets.

If you personally think BCF is worth an extra tenner in your TV licence and an extra 40K, fire away and pay her out of your own pocket, CDfm - that's your prerogative.

But I'm sick of FF pickpocketing me to bail out their dodgy party colleagues, pay for elongated tribunals because their members won't co-operate, pay to have Ray Burke kept in jail, pay coz FF decide to bail out their banking and construction buddies who've made millions over the last 6 or 7 years, etc, etc.
    I think there are 2 seperate issues here.

The first being whether or not Bev was entitled to the 41k and it seems she was as an independent -but became "unentitled" having rejoined the parlimentary party. So its a procedural issue on whether she claims the money via the party or directly.

My criticism of RTE and the Court Case is that there was enough doubt that she had promoted the bogus products personally-though they were promoted by her employer. I thought RTEs approach was tabloid journalism and sensationalist. Now if thats the type of news that you want from our Public Service Broadcaster fine.

I am not a Bev fan or FF member-but it seems to me that you cant see the wood for the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Seems to be open season on Beverley right now. No doubt she can hear the howling curs at the gate but the drawbridge is up and will remain so until they are distracted or lose interest which is normal for those with limited intellect. They have no staying power, they are not stoics as our founder Eamonn de Valera would have intoned.

What harm but Bev was all set after the last hiccup to blaze a trail as a crusader and to set new standards for our people especially our women folk wherever she went. Sadly the great opportunities are now being wasted by the cant and hypocrisy of a small coterie of belittlers. Nobody better than that lady to know that she was surrounded by mediocrity and she was all set to ring the changes. But the enormous promise of such a gifted politician is now a loss to the nation and we will have to carry on regardless and manage as best we can.

But our Bev, so regal in countenance will stride on to fulfil her destiny when the present wind gust abates. Then we will see 'True Grit' because the lady is not for turning.

Either you are a master of sarcasm (and trolling) or you are a dyed in the wool grass root soldier of destiny and a Flynnite ?

I have my doubts about the latter, since most of them could not string such eloquent langauge together and you definetly illustrate far more literate intellect than most flynn supporters or indeed members of the flynn family. They just concentrated on the numerate subjects, after all additions and multiplying of revenues is what they do best.
    If you are a flynnite/FFer I do really despair that it is another wasted intellect. :confused:
    A night out with Bev or Enda - Bev would be more fun and you would want her with you in a fight. She stood up for her Da in the Dail. Shes got balls.

For someone that ends most of their posts with the statement that you do not support "beaker", you sure do go out of your way to have a go at people than indeed do see her as a ****ing waste of space that has cost the taxpayers of this country millions (be it taxes evaded, license fees spend on costly court actions or her latest independent TDs expense top ups) :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I always had a feeling in my gut that the Flynn's have some serious sh*t on current power holders like Cowen and his lackies in office and this is the only reason why she is walking around with that smug look on her face.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I always had a feeling in my gut that the Flynn's have some serious sh*t on current power holders like Cowen and his lackies in office and this is the only reason why she is walking around with that smug look on her face.
    Cowan was one of the main people behind the drive to kick her out of FF to begin with.
    It was Bertie who brought her back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Ya see this is exactly what I was talking about in a previous post! Can you give us here ANY EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that this person is a "gifted politician" as you have suggested above. She has made a pathethic figure of herself, acting as if FF need her more than she needs FF. What the country needs is a lot less people like her in politics, then we might start getting somewhere...

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »

For someone that ends most of their posts with the statement that you do not support "beaker", you sure do go out of your way to have a go at people than indeed do see her as a ****ing waste of space that has cost the taxpayers of this country millions (be it taxes evaded, license fees spend on costly court actions or her latest independent TDs expense top ups) :rolleyes:

I didnt know she was called "beaker" its apt. But-hey-its a small price to pay to have one politician in a world of their own and being ineffective. The less TDs do the better for us all. Now if the other 310 or whatever members of the Oireachtas are similarily immobilised it would be a great and good thing. Remember -that when a politician is doing nothing they cant fcek anything up.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I didnt know she was called "beaker" its apt. But-hey-its a small price to pay to have one politician in a world of their own and being ineffective. The less TDs do the better for us all. Now if the other 310 or whatever members of the Oireachtas are similarily immobilised it would be a great and good thing. Remember -that when a politician is doing nothing they cant fcek anything up.
    :pac:

Nah "beaker" is my unofficial nickname, that long brass neck always reminds me of the famous muppet.
    I know it is unfair to compare her to the muppet ...

he never f***ed anyone over AFAIK ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

I think there are 2 seperate issues here.

The first being whether or not Bev was entitled to the 41k and it seems she was as an independent -but became "unentitled" having rejoined the parlimentary party. So its a procedural issue on whether she claims the money via the party or directly.

Legally (probably because nobody thought through the scenario) she is "entitled" to it.

Her main "moral" problem has arisen because "legally" we're entitled to go to the north to buy stuff but FF are saying not to, because we should all chip in to get the country back on its feet.

So if they expect us not to do stuff that we're legally entitled to, in order to help the economy, surely we can expect likewise of them ? Especially considering they're on about 3 times the average wage and can afford to.
    My criticism of RTE and the Court Case is that there was enough doubt that she had promoted the bogus products personally-though they were promoted by her employer. I thought RTEs approach was tabloid journalism and sensationalist. Now if thats the type of news that you want from our Public Service Broadcaster fine.

The court has judged on this, and she should be expected to abide by it. Again, it's double-standards from FF and their supporters because they've been screaming "wait until the tribunals reach their conclusions before accusing Bertie of anything, but when a court DOES decide, they don't want to accept that either.

Whether you or I thought RTE was wrong is irrelevant; the courts decided, BCF filed for bankruptcy or whatever to avoid paying, and then suddenly she is back on the scene with €41K in her pocket ? If a company did that to avoid paying its debts there would be war (yes, it happens, but it's usually not accepted).

Now, if Bev had accepted the "expenses" and used them to pay off the outstanding amount to RTE, that would be different.

Legally (probably because nobody thought through the scenario) she is "entitled" to it.

So if they expect us not to do stuff that we're legally entitled to, in order to help the economy, surely we can expect likewise of them ? Especially considering they're on about 3 times the average wage and can afford to.

Cmon- she had a bust up with FF and why is it such a big deal -nobody is suggesting wrong doing. Is it that its only wrong if its Bev.

She didnt file for bankrupsy -she negotiated a settlement. Her occupations as politician or financial adviser would have both been closed to her if she bankrupted. She negeotiated legal costs with a creditor.

I am no fan-but play fair.

jmayo wrote: »
    Nah "beaker" is my unofficial nickname, that long brass neck always reminds me of the famous muppet.
    I know it is unfair to compare her to the muppet ...

he never f***ed anyone over AFAIK ;)
    But you accept that they are both in Muppet Shows?

Cmon- she had a bust up with FF and why is it such a big deal -nobody is suggesting wrong doing.

What have those got to do with anything ? I made a perfectly clear answer to you and you've gone of on completely irrelevant stuff.

AS I EXPLAINED BUT YOU IGNORED.....no-one going North to shop is doing anything "wrong" either, but FF are telling us we "shouldn't". Do you not get the fact that that's complete double-standards ?
    Is it that its only wrong if its Bev.

Ah FFS!!! :rolleyes: It's wrong if it's Bertie, or Liam Lawlor, or Ray Burke or "Bev" or Mary Harney or whoever else.....but this thread is about Bev!!!! Yes, there's the mitigating factor that we're ALREADY out of pocket because of her cosy deal with RTE, but the double-standards explained above are enough to make anyone other than an FF supporter go "WTF?".
    She didnt file for bankrupsy -she negotiated a settlement. She negeotiated legal costs with a creditor.

OK, I mis-phrased. The argument was that she WOULD have been bankrupted if she'd has to pay the whole lot, and RTE didn't want to be seen to do that.

So they accepted less than they were legally due because they thought it was the right thing to do......[hmmm.....cue Alanis Morrissette song]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

The argument was that she WOULD have been bankrupted if she'd has to pay the whole lot, and RTE didn't want to be seen to do that.

So they accepted less than they were legally due because they thought it was the right thing to do......[hmmm.....cue Alanis Morrissette song]

Does anyone think RTE were given any choice in the matter?

An offer they couldn't refuse, perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

kippy wrote: »

The reason the woman is so loved in Mayo is as a result of what her father did for the county town of Castlebar. .

Did the people of Castlebar not see Pee's infamous performance on the Late Late Show ? Are they not aware of £50,000 resting in the Flynn's safe ? Does Castlebar exist in a parrallel universe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Did the people of Castlebar not see Pee's infamous performance on the Late Late Show ? Are they not aware of £50,000 resting in the Flynn's safe ? Does Castlebar exist in a parrallel universe ?

no - only Flynn supporters that happen in the main to live around castlebar and possibly benefit from her being in power. In what ways they benefit I am sure you can guess:rolleyes:
    to make Bev supporteres out to be stupid etc is really missing the point. FF should expell her permanently and let people know there is no way she will ever be a minister etc. Some in mayo think because of her gender and father she will be if she keeps beating the sh*t. If FF said 'no way' and make it look that she was non existant to them then maybe FF in castlebar would regroup and isolate Bev too. Maybe then FF might do better in the polls in Mayo rather then hanging in there with Bev as the single option and seat holder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

In fairness, Castlebar is one hell of a dump..IMO..so is it really any surprise the likes of her came out of the place..

Advertisement