Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beverly Cooper Flynn, cleaning up at taxpayers expense again!

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

the golden rule lads is,if you are corrupt but still bring some good business to your own home county,you are more than welcome,look at mr lowry,received nice donation from big ben at the time,but in the recent local elections he was relected again and again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

In fairness, Castlebar is one hell of a dump..IMO..so is it really any surprise the likes of her came out of the place..
    How do you justify this statement?

p.s. I think you have it confused with Ballina ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Ah FFS!!! :rolleyes: It's wrong if it's Bertie, or Liam Lawlor, or Ray Burke or "Bev" or Mary Harney or whoever else.....but this thread is about Bev!!!! Yes, there's the mitigating factor that we're ALREADY out of pocket because of her cosy deal with RTE, but the double-standards explained above are enough to make anyone other than an FF supporter go "WTF?".

But your posts are constantly attacking FF. You have a bias. So Bev is picked on. Jeez Garret Fitzgerald got a huge loan written off, Lowry was hardly affected -so there is a huge double standard.

Any other media then RTE would have to take the hit and not have the public purse to fall back on. RTEs win was a pyrric victory. The standards of news coverage and RTEs journalistic standards took a bigger hit. It took a huge risk with the court case and it lost huge crediblity there

I dont watch RTEs news and current affairs any more and dont think its credible. I am not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

CDfm wrote: »
    But your posts are constantly attacking FF. You have a bias. So Bev is picked on. Jeez Garret Fitzgerald got a huge loan written off, Lowry was hardly affected -so there is a huge double standard.

Any other media then RTE would have to take the hit and not have the public purse to fall back on. RTEs win was a pyrric victory. The standards of news coverage and RTEs journalistic standards took a bigger hit. It took a huge risk with the court case and it lost huge crediblity there

I dont watch RTEs news and current affairs any more and dont think its credible. I am not alone.
    You're clearly a Flynn fan so why bother saying you aren't.

Ireland is facing an abyss. Beverly's attitude at this particular time shows her contempt for the public who are losing jobs en-masse and if fortunate enough to keep their jobs can expect no pay rises for a long time. She has no appreciation of the public mood because she's aloof and not interested in ordinary people. She's a geebag. It's ok that you like her however, it's a free country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mark6766

I wonder if there's a parallel here...

If I lost my job I'd be entitled to some state benefit. But if I subsequently got another job and deliberately continued claiming the state benefit - isn't that called 'benefit fraud'? ... I rather suspect the powers that be would take a dim view.

So isn't the 40K Indo subsidy a 'state benefit' too? (Its paid by the state and sounds like a benefit to me!)

Though, thinking on, I guess 'Shifty' blew 1/4 million decorating his office (allegedly), Mary C has flushed 47,000 of our money down her ensuite, so what do we expect. There's s recession and it seems that the government is worried that we won't all generate enough taxes to keep them in the manner to which they've become accustomed!

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    You're clearly a Flynn fan so why bother saying you aren't.

Ireland is facing an abyss. Beverly's attitude at this particular time shows her contempt for the public who are losing jobs en-masse and if fortunate enough to keep their jobs can expect no pay rises for a long time. She has no appreciation of the public mood because she's aloof and not interested in ordinary people. She's a geebag. It's ok that you like her however, it's a free country.
    I am not a Flynn fan and have very little time for politicians - including FG and Labour.

But since when has Flynn been the countrys moral standard.

Why say she should resign without any credible alternative who would do politics on principles and policies then personalities.

IF the Government and oposition parties could thru concensus agree accross the board cost cutting measures accross public sector budgets targetting 5 or 10 billion at least.If Enda cant swing his Party around something inventive and creative he is not worth talking to. He should be on the ball out there impressing us.

Think of the job creation alone if Sean Dunnes Ballsbridge site was developed. Relocate RTE to Ballymount and sell of the Donnybrook site with planning permission and it should give a great boost to the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scruttocks

K4t wrote: »
    How do you justify this statement?

By following it with IMO, I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Pedrospuds

True

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Do the people who think Bev shouldn't take the money also think that the 3 TD who are now independents should get and extra 40k per year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

But your posts are constantly attacking FF. You have a bias. So Bev is picked on.

Y'see, I have a problem with that opinion. The scandals came BEFORE I formed my "bias", and that "bias" is as a direct result of FF condoning, excusing and ignoring the scandals. If it had been the other way around, you'd be right, but it wasn't.

The nest "eggs" definitely came before FF leaders "chickened" out of explaining them.

And if there's a thread here that says "What about Garrett Fitzgerald's loan being written off", I'll gladly post my opinion in that. Mind you, writing off a loan is different to getting a "loan" that you don't pay back until it's found out; it's also not out of my pocket, so it's less of an issue.
    RTEs win was a pyrric victory. The standards of news coverage and RTEs journalistic standards took a bigger hit. It took a huge risk with the court case and it lost huge crediblity there.

The courts disagreed.

I've seen some of RTE's coverage, including their treatment of my home town, and I'd agree with you to a point. It's still far better than most of the other stations (Sky, Fox, TV3, ITV, etc). And I'll repeat, the courts disagreed with you.

• Advertisement

mark6766 wrote: »
    I wonder if there's a parallel here...

If I lost my job I'd be entitled to some state benefit. But if I subsequently got another job and deliberately continued claiming the state benefit - isn't that called 'benefit fraud'? ... I rather suspect the powers that be would take a dim view.

To be fair, no. Doing that would be illegal. The "loophole" that BCF exploited is legal but unfair, but that aspect isn't her fault.

Mind you, receiving pensions while you're still in a job, or getting a pension if you're fired by the electorate after 5 years are also very, very wrong, and that rule should be changed too.

Hell, the very concept of "unreceipted expenses" should be made illegal. But it ain't gonna happen because in doing so the TDs would be voting for something that stops them pickpocketing you and me and lining their own pockets.

So there's nothing illegal in this. The only issue - as I said earlier - is that the Government are looking for us to stop doing perfectly legal things in order to act "patriotically" in the interests of the country, losing money in the process, but they're not prepared to do the same.

Y'see, I have a problem with that opinion. The scandals came BEFORE I formed my "bias", and that "bias" is as a direct result of FF condoning, excusing and ignoring the scandals. If it had been the other way around, you'd be right, but it wasn't.

I've seen some of RTE's coverage, including their treatment of my home town, and I'd agree with you to a point. It's still far better than most of the other stations (Sky, Fox, TV3, ITV, etc). And I'll repeat, the courts disagreed with you.

But you are biased and it comes accross. I think we should donate our Oireachtas to Zimbabwe and maybe they could take the civil service off us aswell.

I know the court judgement but I dont the system on libel and defamation is fair and no one could have matched RTEs budget.

The hoors picket on your town -well thats not nice.Its that Charlie Bird fella - he doesnt like Castlebar either.

But you are biased and it comes accross.

I didn't actually argue that point with you. I clearly said that if I'm intolerant (or biased, if you prefer, although if anyone else got up to what FF get up to I'd be just as "biased" against them) it's because of what FF have been up to.

And what they've been up to is not my fault.

Just as if I went around conning people or treating them like **** it wouldn't be their fault if they got sick of it and became "biased" against me.

Actions have circumstances. And most of FF (and, indeed the PD) actions have turned me against them.

That's their fault.
    I think we should donate our Oireachtas to Zimbabwe

I think they'd probably say "no, thanks".

I didn't actually argue that point with you. I clearly said that if I'm intolerant (or biased, if you prefer, although if anyone else got up to what FF get up to I'd be just as "biased" against them) it's because of what FF have been up to.

And what they've been up to is not my fault.

Just as if I went around conning people or treating them like **** it wouldn't be their fault if they got sick of it and became "biased" against me.

Actions have circumstances. And most of FF (and, indeed the PD) actions have turned me against them.

That's their fault.

I think they'd probably say "no, thanks".
    the operation of our government leads to corruption. it certainly does not lead to joined up thinking.

i much prefer the US or French Presidential system where the sdministration is independent of parliment.

Advertisement