Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

11th Doctor Announced TOMORROW

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ahem.
    May I be the first to say ...

EEEP!
    :D *terribly excited*

I say it'll be Patterson Joesph

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Awesome Mc Winnerton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Crap, I'm gonna have to avoid news for a year now! I actually want to be surprised...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

Its Martin Shaw.

321654 wrote: »
    Its Martin Shaw.

You got a source for that or is it just more sun rumour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Wouldn't Patterson Joseph be tied up with Survivors? Although Greg did get shot at the end of the first series and they won't necessarily keep to the original plot with this character...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I would be very surprised if that was true & Martin Shaw was the man, mostly because Shaw's 63 & the new Who crew (try saying that while eating maltesers) had said before the Doc has to be young enough to cope with the physicality of the role.

Oh and I'm pretty sure Survivors is over now, and besides, whoever it is wouldn't be filming for the role until late 2009 / early 2010 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Its Martin Shaw.

Lewis Collins

Its on the US website. Martin Shaw is to be announced as the next Doctor tomorrow. Photos of him with DT there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

pixelburp wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if that was true & Martin Shaw was the man, mostly because Shaw's 63 & the new Who crew (try saying that while eating maltesers) had said before the Doc has to be young enough to cope with the physicality of the role.

Paul Hession? ;)

I think an older Doctor is on the cards. Moffat has said that he wants to move away from the sexy Doctors and back to an older (40+) Doctor. Also, with RTD gone, he won't have to do quite so much running :p

• Advertisement

Its on the US website. Martin Shaw is to be announced as the next Doctor tomorrow. Photos of him with DT there too.

Link? A search on google only shows a link being the same team works on apparitions.

"The US website"? What US website?

The only thing I can find connecting them is a thread on digital spy which is pure speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Bill Nighy would be my choice but I highly doubt it. My gut feeling is that it will be Robert Carlysle though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well I just finished "Apparitions" and I think Martin Shaw would work well - he has a more world-weary air to him, that Moffat might be keen on using if he's trying to create a more distinct less-kiddy version of the show. Having said that I would like a second season of "Apparitions" too...
    woooo232 wrote: »
    My gut feeling is that it will be Robert Carlysle though.
    I'll give you odds of 1000-1 on that, given he's just signed on for the lead role in "Stargate: Universe" :)

I dunno, an older Who just doesn't fit with the "wonder of travelling the universe" vibe that Tennant (and Eccles too to be fair to him) engendered. World weariness is all very well and is greating for establishing a "look", but not when it's a character like Who.

Besides, who would get into a policebox with a 60 year old man on the promise of wonder? ;)

I dunno, an older Who just doesn't fit with the "wonder of travelling the universe" vibe that Tennant (and Eccles too to be fair to him) engendered. World weariness is all very well and is greating for establishing a "look", but not when it's a character like Who.
    Well the first three incarnations were all pretty old and Pertwee had a real avuncular aspect (although he was far from my favourite incarnation).

The world-weary aspect is possibly just something I'm getting from "Apparitions" as I've never seen Shaw in anything else. He was quite crumpled in that show.

Patterson I couldn't take seriously, at least initially, as I'm only familiar with him from "Peep Show" and could just see him doing a suave take and asking his assistant (called Mark) to whip up a presentation that will ingenuously sway the members of the Tyrell/Cybus corporation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

"The US website"? What US website?

Just checked AMERICA.COM

No mention there...

ixoy wrote: »
    Well the first three incarnations were all pretty old and Pertwee had a real avuncular aspect (although he was far from my favourite incarnation).

The world-weary aspect is possibly just something I'm getting from "Apparitions" as I've never seen Shaw in anything else. He was quite crumpled in that show.

Patterson I couldn't take seriously, at least initially, as I'm only familiar with him from "Peep Show" and could just see him doing a suave take and asking his assistant (called Mark) to whip up a presentation that will ingenuously sway the members of the Tyrell/Cybus corporation.

Ah it wasn't so much the specific Shaw idea I was rattling about, but generally there seems to be a consensus that Moffat might try and steer the show away from the generally goofy, affable traveller into a more "crumpled" version. But hey, we'll get a good idea soon enough by the choice of actor.

I think Docs 1-4 were more about hitting a certain ideal of the time; the knowing grandfather, the dandy, the bohemian eccentric, the celery wearing cricketers etc. The new show seems to run with the idea of the old man in the young man's body, which works. I don't know if an old man in an older man's body would work so well given the character he is now.

You definitely need a good head for comic delivery, which is why I'm a big Patterson man. He has a nice mix of comedy & drama experience. Ditto Bill Nighy. Now wouldn't that be awesome, Nighy just awesomes up any production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

woooo232 wrote: »
    Bill Nighy would be my choice but I highly doubt it. My gut feeling is that it will be Robert Carlysle though.

Carlysle could be a good compromise between an older one and less Tennant witticisms. Maybe too serious for the younger generation but he could adapt.

McAvoy, I like the idea, probably too much Tennant though.

Morrissey hasn't been ruled out. The voice and his style could be more old Dr. Who style.

Nighy could be old DR. Who and Tennant in his sleep! Good idea!

Damn, can't wait. It's probably somebody completely different.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Ditto Bill Nighy. Now wouldn't that be awesome, Nighy just awesomes up any production.
    Nighy would be awesome. He'd be great at delivering the drama and the quips; I could see him delivering the perfect sneer of contempt at a Dalek.

Now they are saying its going to be an American doc. Scratch that idea about Shaw.
    Please dont let it be Morrissey. Please.

Now they are saying its going to be an American doc. Scratch that idea about Shaw.
    Please dont let it be Morrissey. Please.

As I was trying to point out above, it's all rumour mongering. I wouldn't be too worried about what "they" say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I would be over the moon if it was Nighy!
    bill-nighy.jpg
    The guy is Dr.Who

But I have a feeling it'll be someone no ones even thought of yet.

And can we at least all agree that at least half of us won't be happy with whoever is chosen:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In accordance with the PC bbc it'll be a black lesbian with a lisp in a wheelchair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Well I just finished "Apparitions" and I think Martin Shaw would work well - he has a more world-weary air to him, that Moffat might be keen on using if he's trying to create a more distinct less-kiddy version of the show. Having said that I would like a second season of "Apparitions" too...

I'll give you odds of 1000-1 on that, given he's just signed on for the lead role in "Stargate: Universe" :)

Jesus how many spin offs of that godforsaken show can they make???

I for one hope it's not Shaw he's as wooden as Pat Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

For anyone interested in making a day of it Watch are just starting a Doctor Who day with back to back episodes starting with New Earth...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sleepy wrote: »
    For anyone interested in making a day of it Watch are just starting a Doctor Who day with back to back episodes starting with New Earth...

YEP, me and the wee fella are locked in today watching it!

Plus you can get the last episode at 6.00 on Watch + 1 so you don't miss the New Doctor!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,047 ✭✭✭✭Basq

First time I've posted here but another rumoured actor to play the doc is the excellent Chiwetel Ejiofor, who most Sci-Fi fans would know as the "baddie" from Serenity.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jan/02/doctor-who-bbc

And having just finished Survivors, Paterson Joseph would be an absolutely perfect choice also.

Not a Who fan but very interested in who they pick... if they were to go with Joseph or Ejiofor, this would be the first Black actor to play the Doctor.. right?

• Advertisement

I think you could be on to something there Basquille sounds like a good option if they're looking to re-energise the show - can't see them using someone older the kids wouldn't appreciate it.

basquille wrote: »
    First time I've posted here but another rumoured actor to play the doc is the excellent Chiwetel Ejiofor, who most Sci-Fi fans would know as the "baddie" from Serenity.
    That'd be an interesting choice. He could draw on some of his old roles and play a cross-dressing version of the Doctor - the fact he now wears a dress would immediately give him his own "costume".
    And having just finished Survivors, Paterson Joseph would be an absolutely perfect choice also.
    Is 'Survivors' worth watching? I heard mixed things about it - that it doesn't really get the sense of an apocalypse across and is a bit of a soap opera. Are they valid criticisms?

Is 'Survivors' worth watching? I heard mixed things about it - that it doesn't really get the sense of an apocalypse across and is a bit of a soap opera. Are they valid criticisms?

It had a lot of potential. But just didn't really work in the end. Everyone is too f*cking middleclass in it and they all take the apocalypse in it's stride and everyone retires to little country houses.

I think I only made it 4 episodes in.... Paterson Joseph was good in it though, when he was given anything to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Let's not forget Colin Salmon as well. He's been in the running since DT announced his departure. Plus, he was on Soccer AM this morning. I didn't see it yet, and he probably didn't say anything, but the fact that he was acually on it is interesting, giving that the new Dr would be announced later the same day. OMG, less than hour to go!!!

Chiwetel Ejiofor eh? An interseting choice. He's a stellar actor & I really enjoy his work. It was a lot of what he did that made the Serenity "baddie" work, so I'd be all for that idea. He seems to have spent a lot of the last few years in America though, so not sure if BBC work would be his thing?

Oh and just to continue the Nighy love, I love his small work in Hot Fuzz:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8npX7qL1IQ
    "Yessssssss I can, I'm the Chief Inspector"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

29 minutes until showtime....BBC One....

would anyone laugh if we found out that it was Philip Glenister, and then John Simm could be the Time Lord, and they could have this absurd Life On Mars in the Future relationship....I think that would be rather amusing, even if it would never happen.

Honestly, I hope its someone as good as Tennant, and thats saying a lot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Let's not forget Colin Salmon as well. He's been in the running since DT announced his departure. Plus, he was on Soccer AM this morning. I didn't see it yet, and he probably didn't say anything, but the fact that he was acually on it is interesting, giving that the new Dr would be announced later the same day. OMG, less than hour to go!!!

Also, CS was in Silence In The Library/Forest Of The Dead, which was written by... Steven Moffat.
    Oh and just to continue the Nighy love, I love his small work in Hot Fuzz:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8npX7qL1IQ
    "Yessssssss I can, I'm the Chief Inspector"

I'd love to see CS as Dr11, but my second pick is definately Bill Nighy. Living legend.

Has anyone copped that it might be Simon Pegg? He's presenting the show according to the Sky EPG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1741002/yr

They have said its going to be the youngest Doctor yet and hes 26

They have said its going to be the youngest Doctor yet
    And that he'd be called an unknown, so definitely not Simon Pegg.

And that he'd be called an unknown, so definitely not Simon Pegg.

Well they said not totally unknown and has had several leading parts already

• Advertisement

eamon234 wrote: »
    Well they said not totally unknown and has had several leading parts already
    Simon Pegg is very well known by British star standards - he's been the lead in Hollywood movies! No way it's him.

However, could easily be any of the other names been bandied about here - including this Salmon chap or Al Johnson from "Peep Show". They've not been ruled out.

Edit: Hmmm, they've said that he's younger than Peter Davison when he took on the role (29), so that would appear to rule out Patterson and Colin Salmon (going by IMDB).

True plus he's got to be younger than Tennant Moffat said he's 26

Jesus, this show is a bore, they're really dragging out the suspence

And it's ... Matt Smith?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Matt Smith is the new Doctor.....................who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1741002/yr

They have said its going to be the youngest Doctor yet and hes 26

Bingo

Face palm?

Bye Bye Dr Who.

Might as well call it Dr 90210 now.

What the f*ck?

The new Doctor is some dozy looking emo kid I have never heard of. Well I'm disapointed, mixed with annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Is anyone actually surprised to see Moffat start his tenure with an absolute curveball?

• Advertisement
Advertisement