Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11th Doctor Announced TOMORROW

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well if Moffat is intent on throwing convention out the window, then I guess it does increase the chance of an older companioon. Not that that would be hard considering the Doctor is 26. And yes, they said his hair was a factor in the decision.

Lord, I need a drink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

To be fair, he came across as alright in the clips they showed. When I first saw him I was like "da ****, this emo kid!?". I guess it's lucky he has a spare heart...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

I rember him form the Ruby and the smoke. He was quite good in it. He has odd hair and a very funny mug alright. But I have faith in Moffat. King can really forget about having much of a carrer afterwards though. he forever be Dr. Who

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I sometimes think the producers of the new series make these decisions with the intention of p*ssing off the fans with the misguided belief that if they're annoyed it must be a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

pixelburp wrote: »
    The only way I can see this working is if they team him up with an older companion. Another Rose and yes, it's Hollyoaks

Agreed. Though I'm not sure how an older companion will work with him either, because while the doctor may look young, he isn't. And it could be too similar to the Sarah-Jane Adventures.

But if they cast him next to an ex-S Club Junior or similar it will be a disaster.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well even though I don't have an immediately favourable opinion, Catherine Tate worked out excellent in the end (IMO). Let's have trust in the Moffat that he knows what he's doing - he hasn't let us down so far.

_45343451_newdoctor282.jpg

:(

Agreed Catherine Tate worked, but she wasn't 26 and worked as a cynical foil to the Doctor. They have immediately set their stall out and made the Doctor a young'un. An emo kid at that

Am not sure about Moffat though, I always thought "Coupling" was a bit rubbish, so he is fallable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭sassa

i thought it was apt they played an emo song since they've decided to go with the emo kid. can picture the tardis blasting out my chemical romance while the dr cuts himself while crying that everyone leaves him and no one understands:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

pixelburp wrote: »
    And yes, they said his hair was a factor in the decision.

Lord, I need a drink!

I'm surprised they didn't also say 'And he actually is called Mr. Smith' as another reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I think (hope) that given that they've chosen a 'different' doctor, they have a plan to change the whole style of the show. I'd imagine that with a new doctor, new companion(s) and new writers they'll go with a completely new vision. No harm I think, the system they had with Tennant was gone stale.

Interesting times though!

I have faith in Moffat but I can't help being a little disappointed as I truly beleived that Chiwetel Ejiofor was going to be the new Doctor. Just imagine how amazing that would have been.

Thinking ahead: 12th Doctor anyone?

D90DB4C5-9EF3-469B-185B7CB3752B1DF9.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

drwho.jpg

Pretty guy isn't he?

deRanged wrote: »
    I think (hope) that given that they've chosen a 'different' doctor, they have a plan to change the whole style of the show. I'd imagine that with a new doctor, new companion(s) and new writers they'll go with a completely new vision. No harm I think, the system they had with Tennant was gone stale.

Interesting times though!

We're getting a new TARDIS as well apparently. Interior of course.

All black?

Stark wrote: »
    Thinking ahead: 12th Doctor anyone?

D90DB4C5-9EF3-469B-185B7CB3752B1DF9.jpg

13th Doctor:

sperm_egg_4is.jpg

It's like Benjamin Button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Did they really say one of the reasons they picked him was because of his hair? WTF? Anyone can grow hair...

Except me:(

• Advertisement

Well look on the brightside, at least we get 4 more Tennant episodes and then ... well. We'll see, but I'm disinclined to watch some mop haired kid lord it about the universe. We all know that was Nighy's job *sniff*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

I truly beleived that Chiwetel Ejiofor was going to be the new Doctor. Just imagine how amazing that would have been.

Grow up will you. Smith is a much better actor the Tennat. At least give him a chance. Steve Moffat is still the one writting all the dialouge.

There was never any chance of Ejiofor doing it. Hes getting some larger roles in mainstream Hollywood films now. Why is he going to turn down those bumper pay packets to hmself tied in to Dr. Who for a few years.

I've decided to stop being mean and give the guy a go. The fact that he's younger than me doesn't make him a kid. When I was his age I was buying a house, getting married and had been managing a team of 40 people for 3 years. David Boreanaz was only 27 when he started playing Angel in Buffy and I thought he managed to carry off tortured 200+ year old quite well. So there is no reason why a 26 year old can't pull off tortured but buoyant 900+ year old.

Nah! I'm trying but I'm still not convinced.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Very few seem to have actually seen the guy acting!

Party Animals was good, under rated. He played a geeky, sensitive type in it. Not bad in it, though it hardly was a demanding role.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Seanies32 wrote: »
    Very few seem to have actually seen the guy acting!

Party Animals was good, under rated. He played a geeky, sensitive type in it. Not bad in it, though it hardly was a demanding role.

I saw him in The Ruby in the Smoke and found him to be unremarkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

_45343466_newdocotr226.jpg

The emo dr :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

iguana wrote: »

Right, he was unremarkable in Party Animals. Then again he was supposed to be! :eek:

The actor who played his brother in it was "the bad boy" and he was the conscience. Did it quite well!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

iguana wrote: »

Yeah, I had to look at it again to remember his character. Then again, it was a minor character.

The new Tardis is interesting - I wonder how they'll justify that. They have 4 specials to set up any changes they want though, so there's no knowing
    what groundwork they'll lay for the new series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

just as he was announced my best friend rang and we both said who is he??? we both found it hard to identify with a doctor who is younger than us, and over a decade younger in my case.

she asked her daughter is she liked him and nope. my kids arent really convinced and as for me.....

well, to give the man a chance i havent seen him act, and Peter Davison was 29 when he got the role and by 2010 Smith will be 29 too ...(alright, like iguana I'm not convinced)

ok, is this the rationale??? - the only way to get over the time war was for him to be younger and younger, and therefore more fit and vital? Perhaps the more regenerations you get the younger you start out from in order to compensate you for the fact you're running out of them?

Damn you monkeyfudge with your sperm..... i was going to post an embryo....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I think people are getting too hung up on how he looks in an interview - it doesn't say anything about how his part will be written or even how he's going to look in the show (comment about the hair could easily be a jest).

Moffat's episodes never tended towards emo either, so I don't really see why people would believe that's the direction he'd take based pretty much solely on the style of an actor's hair...

Advertisement