Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mike Adamle - Interesting facts if anyone cares!

• 02-01-2009 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

I was looking through info on wikipedia about Gladiators (as in the tv show) and realised that Mike Adamle hosted American Gladiators for years (1989-1996)! I was aware that Adamle was a sportscaster before his run in WWE and that he was on a rather large salary courtesy of Titan Towers but i didn't realise that he had quite as high a profile as he did!

This led me to doing some more research about the guy. Next thing that i noticed is that the guy is 59 years old, which i was surprised by. I figured he was in his mid to late 40s. The most worrying thing about this fact is that WWE gambled a lot of money on the hope that a near 60 year old man would suddenly be able to understand and analyse the intricacies of pro wrestling.

The 3rd and possibly most surprising fact on Adamle is that he played Football in the NFL for 7 years (1971-77) as a running back for the Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets, and Chicago Bears. I sh*t you not!

As I said in the title, most people probably couldn't care less and justifiably so given his performance in WWE - I just found it interesting and kind of amusing that this square looking, geeky guy who didn't know the 1st thing about pro wrestling as a commentator has played in the NFL and hosted American Gladiators.

One final comment on this is that WWE wanted Mike Goldberg to replace JR on Raw a few years ago and were offering crazy money for his services. Like Adamle, he was a high profile sportscaster with little or no background in pro wrestling (although his calling of the action in UFC may overlap in ways with that of pro wrestling). Just goes to show that Goldberg probably made the right decision!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I was looking through info on wikipedia about Gladiators (as in the tv show) and realised that Mike Adamle hosted American Gladiators for years (1989-1996)! I was aware that Adamle was a sportscaster before his run in WWE and that he was on a rather large salary courtesy of Titan Towers but i didn't realise that he had quite as high a profile as he did!

There was a documentary around the time Galdiators was coming back on Sky, about 6 months ago something like "Gladiators A to Z" and he popped up on it a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Anyone any ideas what hes doing now?

is he still under contract with WWE?

Advertisement