Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forecasters warn of a record breaking January cold snap

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Well last night was certainly very cold in many parts with severe frost and ice in many areas. Met Eireann have stated that temps dropped as low as -8C in places overnight.

We have widespread low maximas today. Certainly felling very chilly out. We may not have the very wintry synoptics (in terms of snowfall) that were suggested by several model outputs, but we are certainly experiecning quite cold weather at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I have to say even though the models we were watching over a week ago didn't deliver they did forecast this cold spell, I was talking to a mate today who said "jesus you were right when you said it was going to get really cold from the 5th on" and I said that over a week ago, so the models were to some degree useful :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

hmm, I dont know about not delivering. The expectation of snow was always weak but this was the coldest winter I can remember since maybe the early eighties ( but i was a nipper). Admittedly I now live in england , which is colder, but where the maximim temp yesterday in my city was -2, and last night was -7.

So the models delivered in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

A very interesting weather forecast by Mr. John Eagleton this evening after the nine o' clock news.

He stated that its been the coldest week in Ireland in many years and even went on to discuss the possibility of further cold during the winter, stating that he wasn't sure if it would be cold again, but he certainly emphasised the significance of the current cold spell.

For my own location, I have seen a minimum of -8.5 during this cold spell, the coldest I have seen in many many years. I have seen the tops of entire local streams frozen over all day, something also not seen in many many years.

This has certainly been a very cold spell of weather. Whether we will see re-occurances throughout the rest of the winter is indeed another question. Either way, its good to see some proper cold weather taking place in Ireland. :)

Advertisement