Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on bike jackets...

• 03-01-2009 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭

I'm riding an Innova 125 step-through scoot/bike (not sure what it is yet!) but don't actually wear an armoured jacket or boots.

I know I should really begin to look out for a jacket for myself but I don't want to look ridiculous with a big fancy armoured jacket on me while on what is a pretty small motorbike.

Any suggestions of what to invest in?

Armour would be good, I just don't want a big flashy jacket on the bike as it's pretty small!

I actually tried on a jacket today with shoulder, elbow and back armour for €65 but felt pretty tight on me with it being slightly short at the front with my jumper showing under the waistline of the jacket. Is that the way they should be or shoudl I be looking for somehting bigger?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You don't know anybody who's been in a bad bike crash do you? My friend was on his 125 with jacket and no leggings, 6 years later he still has no feeling in most of his left leg and he can't walk for far because the skin grafts on his leg break open and he can't feel it. Tbh, he can't feel anything on most of his leg.

He wasn't going fast when he was hit, the person driving the truck was though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I don't pop down to the shops without pants and jacket on. You may be on a small bike - but it'll go quick enough, and as Cuddlesworth said other motorists can go plenty fast. Do yourself a big favour and get decent gear, quickly. You can get non-discreet jackets with built in armor, and I know there's a company that makes armored jeans that are decent for around town riding. Something like this linky actually.

Check out Cotter's. They've got a decent rage, shop is up in Dublin but it's worth the visit.

In all honesty, I know the inova is a small bike but you won't be keeping it forever. You may as well get the gear now and stay safe. Suck it up for a few months till you upgrade your wheels. You never know some cage might clip you at a junction some day and send ya skidding down the road on your back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Cotters, Crossans in Newry or eBay.

Everyone will start whining when I say it, but I bought the LIDL jacket and pants when I started out and they are great - waterproof, CE marked armour and zips that have lasted several wet winters.

Don't skimp on gear - its not the daamge your bike will do, its the immobile object you hit that does the damage.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Cotters, Crossans in Newry or eBay.

Everyone will start whining when I say it, but I bought the LIDL jacket and pants when I started out and they are great - waterproof, CE marked armour and zips that have lasted several wet winters.

Don't skimp on gear - its not the daamge your bike will do, its the immobile object you hit that does the damage.

'cptr

My pants are LIDL - they'll be upgraded within the next month or so but they've done great in all the bad weather I've ridden through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

I see yer point guys, it's worth getting kitted out. And it's true, whether you're on a 50cc scooter or a 1000cc tourer, you are falling on the same tarmac.

Anyway I bought a Duchinni jacket today with CE Armour on the shoulders and elbows plus a slot for back armour which I will be getting soon. Here's the link : http://secure.duchinni.bifax.co.uk/view_category.php?category_id=450061

A new helmet is needed next, then pants and boots.

Dead right that I may as well get kitted out so I'll be ready for whenever I can upgrade the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I'd recommend getting a Richa textile jacket from Simon in Cotter's. I got myself the Strike jacket in black and I love it! Looks stylish, discrete and you won't have that "proper jacket with a small bike" look with it IMO.

And you can't go wrong with Richa either. I think hey have the perfect balance between style, protection and quality with a very small price tag! AND they are European! ;)

Either way, get proper gear. As was said above, doesn't matter how slow your bike is. It's car/van/truck driving too fast that will do the damage regardless of your speed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Fabio wrote: »
    I see yer point guys, it's worth getting kitted out. And it's true, whether you're on a 50cc scooter or a 1000cc tourer, you are falling on the same tarmac.

Anyway I bought a Duchinni jacket today with CE Armour on the shoulders and elbows plus a slot for back armour which I will be getting soon. Here's the link : http://secure.duchinni.bifax.co.uk/view_category.php?category_id=450061

A new helmet is needed next, then pants and boots.

Dead right that I may as well get kitted out so I'll be ready for whenever I can upgrade the bike.
    Well done! Get those boots ASAP (I'd recommend TCX - formally known as Oxtar) or Sidi (same company - two different brands AND European! ;)) and make sure you get a good quality, comfortable helmet too!

Safety gear is expensive (especially in Ireland) but it could mean the difference between walking away from an accident and ending up on the operation table...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maiden30403

Aye get well kitted out, know someone who bought a bike for €4.5k and paid €6k on kit. I'd like to say that's going too far but really it's not. You might see those "cool guys" on their Ducati's wearing t-shirts during the summer, but a shower's better than a skin graft at the end of the day. I'm on a similar bike (C90) but I still wear the big leather jacket. And it's saved me getting scrapes on my arms a few times while learning.

That's very true guys.

You fall on the same tarmac after all no matter what cc you have under you.

Is there any type of pants that simply zip up over a pair of jeans so you can take them off easily when going to work or college or whatever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maiden30403

I just wear a pair of water/windproof scanger pants over jeans, wont provide much protection from a fall though. AFAIK you wont get good safety protection from overs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

That's very true guys.

Is there any type of pants that simply zip up over a pair of jeans so you can take them off easily when going to work or college or whatever?

yeh there is, we commonly call em the stripper pants, they are more expensive though and the armour isn't as secure and tbh the trousers aren't as good for protection either.

My Moto is "dress to crash NOT to ride"

+ 1 on Richa gear, some of the gear isn't all racer image, have a look round u will find something, you could always get some Dragger jeans, they have built in Kevlar for protection and look like normal jeans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

That's very true guys.

I have a pair of normal Richa textile ones, that once Ive taken out the winter lining in em fit quite well over a pair of jeans etc

Sounds good guys. Love the motto.

Advertisement