Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Full licence holder driving with L plates?!!!

Options
  • 03-01-2009 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I've been told that a full licence holder cannot drive a car which displays 'L' plates unless the actual driver is holding a provisional licence or a drivers permit, is this true?? What are the penalties for driving with L plates under these circumstances?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mefain wrote: »
    I've been told that a full licence holder cannot drive a car which displays 'L' plates unless the actual driver is holding a provisional licence or a drivers permit, is this true?? What are the penalties for driving with L plates under these circumstances?:confused:
    There is nothing prohibiting a person with a Driving Licence driving a vehicle in the relevant category with L plates displayed.

(I think it may be prohibited in the UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

thats pants ..... a full licence driver can drive any car (assuming insured)

A L-Driver cant drive a car unless there is a Full-licence driver in the car with them, the gardai rarely enforce this - but tend to pick on certain laws at different times of the year (ie. general clampdown on no-tax or out of date tax in october .... drink drivers get properly attacked in dec/jan etc)

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

If it was true every driving instructor in the country wouldn't be able to drive home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    thats pants .....
    'pants'? :confused:

PCPhoto wrote:
    a full licence driver can drive any car (assuming insured)
    ......and assuming that they don't have a 'restricted' licence (if the vehicle requires a non-restricted licence).

I think the OP was referring to the legal situation with the display of L plates rather than the legality of driving the actual vehicle.

• Advertisement

jhegarty wrote: »
    If it was true every driving instructor in the country wouldn't be able to drive home.
    Even if it were true, there would have to be an exemption for official instructors. Otherwise instructors in trucks and buses would have to respray their vehicles every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mefain

There is nothing prohibiting a person with a Driving Licence driving a vehicle in the relevant category with L plates displayed.

(I think it may be prohibited in the UK).
    :)Just as I thought!! This issue was raised by a friend of mine when we were driving on a motorway and he was annoyed that a learner driver was using the motorway which of course is prohibited. I pointed out that the driver was in their 40/50's and was the sole occupant in the car which suggests in my view that they are a parent of a learner driver. It is at this point that I got a lecture on the law! I will take great pleasure in correcting him although wishbone might be right in that it may be law in Britain. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

:)Just as I thought!! This issue was raised by a friend of mine when we were driving on a motorway and he was annoyed that a learner driver was using the motorway which of course is prohibited. I pointed out that the driver was in their 40/50's and was the sole occupant in the car which suggests in my view that they are a parent of a learner driver. It is at this point that I got a lecture on the law! I will take great pleasure in correcting him although wishbone might be right in that it may be law in Britain. Thanks for the advice.

Why would he get upset if a learner driver was using the motorway? :confused:

No learner drivers are allowed to drive on a motorway either on their own or with a full licence holder. The driver in question was in the overtaking lane, my friend wanted to access this lane but because the traffic was moving too slowly he couldn't so he threw a wobbler! He failed to notice that the majority of traffic was using the passing lane and the left lane was actually moving faster!

Because it's illegal for them to drive on a motorway!!!!!

• Advertisement

Because it's illegal for them to drive on a motorway!!!!!

Hes not a guard though is he so why would you get yourself wound up especially when he may not even be a learner, not everyone follows the rules unfortunatly you can only control your own car and actions.

Hes not a guard though is he so why would you get yourself wound up
    That's part of the problem - the Gardai should get wound up more.
    especially when he may not even be a learner
    Well your initial question was about a learner driving on a motorway. Now you're moving the goalposts.
    not everyone follows the rules unfortunatly you can only control your own car and actions.
    A person with a Provisional Licence/Learner Permit has been granted that permit for the purposes of accessing public roads for the purpose of learning to drive (and being accompanied if applicable). The Learner Permit is not a Driving licence. There is no reason why a person learning to drive should need to be on a motorway.

Just because everyone doesn't follow the rules, doesn't mean we should ignore them.

Hes not a guard though is he so why would you get yourself wound up especially when he may not even be a learner, not everyone follows the rules unfortunatly you can only control your own car and actions.

Think we're losing the point here!:rolleyes:! Anyway, the rules of the road are usually to aid and protect all road users. Motorway driving is up to speeds of 120Km per hour which is outside the experience of learner drivers.

That's part of the problem - the Gardai should get wound up more.

Exactly my point, if he had a problem he should report it, instead of getting angry and possibly putting others at risk.
    Well your initial question was about a learner driving on a motorway. Now you're moving the goalposts.

Fair enough, just pointing out that you never really know who has a full licence or permit, i bet there was a few more learners without the L`s up
    A person with a Provisional Licence/Learner Permit has been granted that permit for the purposes of accessing public roads for the purpose of learning to drive (and being accompanied if applicable). The Learner Permit is not a Driving licence. There is no reason why a person learning to drive should need to be on a motorway.

As i said not everyone obeys the law unfortunatly
    Just because everyone doesn't follow the rules, doesn't mean we should ignore them.

And back to my first point, report it, its frustrating that safe drivers are put at risk by bad/inexperianced drivers either with or without a full licence, we can do something about it, report it.

Think we're losing the point here!:rolleyes:! Anyway, the rules of the road are usually to aid and protect all road users. Motorway driving is up to speeds of 120Km per hour which is outside the experience of learner drivers.

I agree 100%
    As far as i know a full licenced driver can drive his/her car with L`s up, prob not around your mate on the motorway though, he may go bananas :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Would it be right in saying that If a guard does stop you on the motor way displaying L signs, and having a full license they could "do something" for you wasting guards time ?
    i think i asked the question at one stage :)

samhail wrote: »
    Would it be right in saying that If a guard does stop you on the motor way displaying L signs, and having a full license they could "do something" for you wasting guards time ?
    No, not at all.

OK :)

The idiocy of the system is that they can legally drive that speed on one of the 120 kph dual carriageways.

samhail wrote: »

If that was the case then the guards could charge everyone who was found innocence of any crime.

• Advertisement

The idiocy of the system is that they can legally drive that speed on one of the 120 kph dual carriageways.

You're right but the other difference is they must merge with the flow of traffic when entering with no security buffer of traffic lights or juctions, for a new driver this can be scarey :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Do we have 120kph dual carriageways?

the new N2 is 120kph anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

loobylou wrote: »
    Do we have 120kph dual carriageways?

The N25, N22 & N8 around Cork city are 120kph. (and the N2 as said above)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

In fairness though, i dont think there should be any problem with learner drivers on motorways, but they should be accomanied without any excuse, as a learner driver, you are learning to drive, so how do they expect people to be able to drive on motorways once they get their licenses?!

I am a learner driver, and ill drive a motorway no problem as long as one of my parents are with me, ive done it a few times, ive gotta learn someway!!

Whats the penalty for this anyway? If any? And what law does it come under if anyone knows?

everyone who was found innocence of any crime.

(Apologies - off topic)

Regardless of the argument you are making, one cannot be 'found innocent'. One can only be 'found guilty' and is innocent until then. It's the cornerstone of our criminal justice system. ;)

Advertisement