Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting tired of the old Limerick jokes?

Options
  • 03-01-2009 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

At every mention of violence, crime, weapons, murder, drugs or anything negative people have a crack at Limerick.

"Its not as bad as Limerick"

"Have you been to Limerick"

"Don't go to Limerick then"

"If you think it bad here you should see Limerick"

I'm getting really tired and bored with it all, change the record like!

Limerick people have a great sense of humour and fun, put I for one am running outta patience with it all....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's all good fun, don't take offense.

Everyone up north is a bomber or gangster
    All Dubs are thieves and junkies
    All Cork people are cute hoors
    All people in the rural whest are muck savages

Every part of Ireland takes abuse, don't take it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jane Doh!

mikemac wrote: »
    It's all good fun, don't take offense.

Everyone up north is a bomber or gangster
    All Dubs are thieves and junkies
    All Cork people are cute hoors
    All people in the rural whest are muck savages

Every part of Ireland takes abuse, don't take it seriously.

Maybe I'm a bit sensitive....

All of the above are labels for people depending on where there from, the Limerick jokes are generally a smear of the city as a whole.

All Limerick people are ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I forget all Galwegians are crusties, bum or layabout students :P

Yes, you are being sensitive. What goes on in Limerick is confined (generally) to a few well known suburbs. If you watch a RTE news report on some serious incident, it's usually one out of three or four places.

I know this, I can only hope most people know this. As I said, just a small percentage of few areas.
    Doesn't excuse it though at all

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If you can't laugh at the odd harmless joke, then perhaps this forum might be what you're looking for. Over-sensitivity, TBH.

An Fhile wrote: »
    If you can't laugh at the odd harmless joke, then perhaps this forum might be what you're looking for. Over-sensitivity, TBH.

Thanks, but I think we already established that I was being a bit sensitive. Don't need another forum.

Glad to hear that you only get the odd harmless Limerick joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

It stops being funny when people aren't joking.
    I'm fairly sure the OP was talking about people who really believe the crap being spouted.

For me, it stopped being funny when I was 16 and friends of mine from Dublin were not allowed to visit me, cause their parents were too afraid to let them.
    Or the times that people have genuinely appologised when they hear I'm from Limerick.
    Or the time I was visiting a friend in Dublin, and when her friends met me, they actually took a physical step back when they heard where I was from.

I've no problem with the jokes.
    I call my friends from Dublin Junkies and "English" the whole time, and they ask me why I'm not off in a drive-by or whatever.
    But there are way too many who don't say it as a joke.
    People who've never been to Limerick, but feel free to judge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its only the people that havent been to Limerick that judge it in fairness. A few people i know that are from Dublin/Dundalk/Galway etc love coming to Limerick

Its only the people that havent been to Limerick that judge it in fairness. A few people i know that are from Dublin/Dundalk/Galway etc love coming to Limerick

I know that.
    But think of all those who never come, and so never get the chance to love Limerick, cause of all the stereotyping.

My sister used to live in Dublin.
    She told me once of a time that she was talking to somebody she knew up there.
    When she was asked what she was doing for the weekend, the response of "I'm going to Limerick", didn't get the best reaction.

It was more of a "what in Gods name would you want to do that for?!!"

My sister had to explain that even though she wasn't actually mugging someone and carrying a gun, she still was from Limerick.

There are people who literally believe everything they hear about Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Maybe we should laugh it off.....I mean, it's some entertainment for those poor unfortunates who have to live in really dodgy places where people can actually bring Samuri swords into a pub....

Crime in Dublin, apparently, is getting out of hand....... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Maybe we should laugh it off.....I mean, it's some entertainment for those poor unfortunates who have to live in really dodgy places where people can actually bring Samuri swords into a pub....

Ha! Dont palm off these old jokes man :)

• Advertisement

Why laugh off things that are harming our city?
    And us if you follow it through.

Limericks "image" is the main reason we haven't gotten a boundry extension in some 50 years.
    Which is the main reason shop rates are so high in the city.
    Which is the main reason more and more shops are closing.

Limericks image is the main reason we don't have a proper tourist industry.
    How often will you hear about the average Dublin or Sligo couple going for a break in Limerick?

It indirectly, or directly effects everone in Limerick.
    Saying "ah ignore it" is the same as saying ignore the anti-social behavior itself.

Was making a joke, Karma......and it's the best defence against assholes who run down our city......

The above event was gas when it happened, actually, because I had heard a few people crack unfunny jokes about Limerick, but I said the above, and added....

"Ironic that they had to draft in help from the Gardai in Swords".

Basically, ignorant assholes will prefer to see someone wound up than laugh it off, and if you can come back with a joke that's actually funny it shows up their intelligence level too.

Mind you, the MOST ironic I ever heard was on holidays abroad.......waiting for a tour bus a guy heard the Irish accents and asked where we were from; when I said Limerick, the guy said "Oh, Stab City".

The guy was from SOUTH ARMAGH!!!! VERY LARGE KETTLE, pot, mate!

Was gonna get into a discussion about how he'd probably hate me to saying HIS area was full of gun-toting thugs, criminals and psychos, but one thing struck me - if Limerick and its people were anywhere near as bad as these idiots made out, they'd probably be afraid of saying it.....

Was still tempted to put him in his place though, but decided that my night's more valuable than wasting it on an ignorant obnoxious ass-f**k....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ilovecars

i was in a taxi in dublin when the driver said 'oh stab city' and a 12 year old relative of mine whispered to me, jesus they'd shoot him if they heard him saying that.. i thought it was very funny.. is irony the word i'm lookin for..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

but one thing struck me - if Limerick and its people were anywhere near as bad as these idiots made out, they'd probably be afraid of saying it.....

That's my usual response. As soon as it starts I say, "if you really believed that crap you are taking one hell of a risk by trying to antagonise me, aren't you?"

Was making a joke, Karma......and it's the best defence against assholes who run down our city......

The above event was gas when it happened, actually, because I had heard a few people crack unfunny jokes about Limerick, but I said the above, and added....

"Ironic that they had to draft in help from the Gardai in Swords".

Basically, ignorant assholes will prefer to see someone wound up than laugh it off, and if you can come back with a joke that's actually funny it shows up their intelligence level too.

Mind you, the MOST ironic I ever heard was on holidays abroad.......waiting for a tour bus a guy heard the Irish accents and asked where we were from; when I said Limerick, the guy said "Oh, Stab City".

The guy was from SOUTH ARMAGH!!!! VERY LARGE KETTLE, pot, mate!

Was gonna get into a discussion about how he'd probably hate me to saying HIS area was full of gun-toting thugs, criminals and psychos, but one thing struck me - if Limerick and its people were anywhere near as bad as these idiots made out, they'd probably be afraid of saying it.....

Was still tempted to put him in his place though, but decided that my night's more valuable than wasting it on an ignorant obnoxious ass-f**k....

I don't get wound up at all mate.
    I think that there's no point in arguing with the averge person on the stret.
    Te media however, is a very different kettle of fish.

I am proud of where I come from but the reality is that the "Where are you from?" question often gets a negative comment or even sympathy on answering "Limerick".

I immediatly feel the need to defend Limerick, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

I suppose I have become sensitive to the comments because at this stage they have severly damaged the cities reputation.

Will we ever get rid of the "stab city" nick name?

I was in Dublin with a client and mentioned that I usually walked home along O'Connell St after a night out (I was living up in Fitzhaven at the time).

His response ?

"Jaysus, you wouldn't do that in Dublin".

End of any potential slagging given his view of his own city.

I think you summed up my own view of the matter pretty perfectly there JD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I live in Limerick but not from here and like the place.

My friends would always ask me about Limerick

Id say "all that ****e is confined to a few scummy estates, the city centre is fine and theres some good pubs and sure where i am is grand"

All that was fine until Limericks latest murder no one will visit me now

yayamark wrote: »
    All that was fine until Limericks latest murder no one will visit me now

Why ? Because it was an innocent bystander ?

While that was tragic and despicable, weren't there at least a few innocent bystanders injured or killed in Dublin ? The young plumber or whatever last year springs to mind.

This was a first for Limerick, remember!

Tell them cop themselves on.

• Advertisement

Jane Doh! wrote: »
    IWill we ever get rid of the "stab city" nick name?

This weeks events have answered my question.....:(

Will we ever get rid of the "stab city" nick name?

This weeks events have answered my question.....:-(

This weeks events have answered my question.....:(

What events ? Dell closing down ? :confused:

What events ? Dell closing down ? :confused:

Stabbing by a Moroccan national. Still counts as a Limerick stabbing.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1228/limerick.html

Two stabbings in 24 hours.

As reported on the local radio, the first was "minor disbute, between two 17 year olds" at Pennywell. Not sure about the second incident.

Advertisement