Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipe Challenge - Restricted Diet

• 03-01-2009 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm on a restricted diet for a few months, below is a list of the permitted foods. Any recipe ideas using only the ingredients below?? I'd be especially interesed in snacks, lunch, breakfast ideas - dinner's not a problem.

Thanks in advance!! :cool:

• Meat - all sorts: lamb, pork, beef, venison, rabbit, etc.
    • Fish - all sorts, including shellfish; but must be fresh, not in batter!
    • Poultry - all sorts: chicken, turkey, pheasant, duck, quail, etc.
    • Vegetables - all sorts, except sweetcorn and peas.
    • All greens, and garlic
    • Potato and rice. Rice cakes also allowed.
    • Fruit - limited to 2 servings/day.
    • Beans and pulses (kidney bean, lentils, sunflower seeds, etc).
    • Eggs.
    • Butter.
    • Goat’s cheese.
    • Edam and Gouda cheese.
    • Live yoghurt.

I'm finding the lack of bread and milk restricting when it comes to snacks and breakfast! :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Well, you don't mention sugar so I assume that's out. For a sweet snack you could try this but sub splenda for the sugar if u can have it:

http://www.passionforpulses.com/recipes/shortbread.html

As for brekkie, you could have half a serving of fruit(berries, grapefruit, pineapple tinned or fresh) with some yoghurt and throw some toasted seeds over it, sunflower seeds taste yum when toasted. I notice you don't mention oats, but if you can have them throw some of them on too, toasted, maybe with some coconut?

I really recommend this website: www.101cookbooks.com.
    The author Heidi takes an oblique view of common recipes and substitutes healthier ingredients!
    Also, soy milk can be used instead of regular milk if you need it.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Breakfast - kedgeree, kippers, smoked haddock and a poached egg, herrings in oatmeal if you are allowed the oatmeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

omelettes are good for brekkie. Either plain or with mushrooms or asparagus or some other veg. Can also serve with smoked salmon and maybe some goats cheese.....

Oh, also carrot and celery sticks are a (slightly boring) but ok snack. Can dip them in hummous if you can have chickpeas.

Advertisement