Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I bring broken item back to point of purchase?

Options
  • 03-01-2009 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hello all..

Bought Rock Band in Argos back at the end of August - last week, the pedal for the bass drum snapped in half - the playing was NOT particularly vigourous at that time or any other to the best of my knowledge. Would I be within my rights to look for a replacement? If so, do I pack it up and bring it back to the point of purchase with the receipt? Any advice would be appreciated. Oh, and it was bought in Northern Ireland, if that makes a difference, I assume the consumer laws are much of a muchness both sides of the border, though..

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

depends on the shop but generally it has to be brought to the country you bought it in unless you paid for an international warantee

it might be just an hour up the road but it is actually a different country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

ntlbell wrote: »
    depends on the shop but generally it has to be brought to the country you bought it in unless you paid for an international warantee

it might be just an hour up the road but it is actually a different country

Oh, I have no issues bringing it back to the same shop I bought it in, the only reason I mention that it was in the North was in case of different consumer laws. My issue is wondering if warranty covers a snapped bit of plastic and if I should just bring it back to the shop without following other channels first.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

i guess if you get a narky one maybe trying to prove it was from normal use

most of the time argos are pretty good with exchanges

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

bring back to the argos you bought it in and get a replacement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

You can return Argos goods to any Argos store (UK or Ireland) as long as you have the receipt and as long as it isnt "Home Delivery Only" stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

What does happen if it doesn't fall under the category of "Home Delivery Only?" Does it not fall under the same consumer laws? Earlier in December I thought about ordering a sofa set for my parents? Didn't go ahead with it in the end as they were happy with what they had. Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Thanks folks, they replaced it without hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

DenMan wrote: »
    What does happen if it doesn't fall under the category of "Home Delivery Only?" Does it not fall under the same consumer laws? Earlier in December I thought about ordering a sofa set for my parents? Didn't go ahead with it in the end as they were happy with what they had. Just curious.

Well, I'd imagine if it was "home delivery", say, a sofa, it'd make more sense for everyone concerned to just phone, and arrange for collection and delivery of a new one. The laws are the same, but they don't stock sofas in the normal shops, don't have anywhere to store them, don't have anyone to lift them etc., which is why I'd imagine they don't accept them at the shops.

Advertisement