Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Essay problem.

Options
  • 03-01-2009 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was given a question to do and I'm just wondering how I go about organising it and what would be 5 main points I could develop.

The question itself is "What were the main characteristics of Nazi State Germany between 1933-1939?

Normally, I structure my essays like : 1) Intro, 2-6: Main Points, 7) Conclusion.

What would be the 5 points for this question?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

2. totalitarian state
    3 .relations with catholic church
    4and 5 Propoganda in its various forms.
    6.attitude towards jews gypises homosexuals and all them

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Oh Jesus...LC 2007....i nearly fell off my chair when i saw those esssays........history rule numero uno!Never ever predict a paper, it dosent work!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

eoins2345 wrote: »
    2. totalitarian state
    3 .relations with catholic church
    4and 5 Propoganda in its various forms.
    6.attitude towards jews gypises homosexuals and all them

Relations to the catholic church can't really be considered a main characteristic of the nazi state. Also propaganda doesn't need two paragraphs. Think economic issues, totalitarianism, propaganda, expansion of German state, and attitudes to "non-germanic/subversive" peoples.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The propaganda employed by the Nazi's was monumental in them achieving their aim of totalitarian power, in fact without the success of their 'propaganda machine' (Joseph Goebbels was over it) their rise may not have been successful as it was. A brilliant example of this was Hitler commissioning the famous Leni Riefenstahl to direct a movie 'Triumph of the Will', an amazing piece which when watched in its entirety demonstrates the extent and success of the propaganda used by the Nazis. Without a doubt the use of propaganda was a MAJOR facet of the Nazis during this time. Without their mastering of this it is questionable whether they would have achieved such control as they did.

I hope this helps, it's only one example. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

German nationalism dated back to the romantic period, thats why it was so easily taken up by so many. It wasn't a new idea by any means by the Nazis. Perhaps a look at the fallout of the Versailles treaty or the desire to revenge the end of WWI could be a backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I think it carries on into your paragraph on nationalism and other topics like expansionism though.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

lilmizzme wrote: »
    Oh Jesus...LC 2007....i nearly fell off my chair when i saw those esssays........history rule numero uno!Never ever predict a paper, it dosent work!! :D

Lol! I know what you mean, I was going through the papers for exam revision and I saw the awful year that was 2007! "Aims and achievements of Patrick Pearse?" I mean, come on!

Thanks so much guys. I'm seeing now how you structure it properly and I'm beginning to see where I'm going wrong. Hope I have it figured out in time for the Pres!

Would anyone be willing to help me with the question:

"From 1912 onwards, what factors contributed to partition of Ireland, 1920"?
    or
    "Between 1922 and 1932, what steps did the Cograve government take to establish the Irish free state on firm foundations?"

Again, I'm unsure of relevant points. :( Like, for the first one I could say Home Rule Bill was a factor but why? What key sentence could I use? (All I can think of it increased division between Unionists and Nationalists even further but is it relevant?) I'm supposed to be good at english but I fail at stuff like this.

Well for the partition one you have the Home Rule Bills, the rise of militia's-UVF and IVF, Ulster solemn league and convent. Basically a further radicalialisation of the nationalist/unionist divide was created by the HR bills. Then you have the war of independence and the treaty obviously, but I think the question is mostly about unionism. remember to try and deal with factors that you feel are important, it will be so much easier to say why such and such should be noted if you come up with it. You've already noted one of the key factors in your post above, you just have to be a little more forceful in your development of the point and it will show you whether its relevant or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Gloom wrote: »
    "Between 1922 and 1932, what steps did the Cograve government take to establish the Irish free state on firm foundations?"
    Intro - New ministers/ Brennan & McElligot etc.
    Irish Constituion
    Local Councils set up
    Courts System
    Economics Policies of Cumann Na nGaedheal
    Conclusion - Were in a near impossible position as they had no money, favoured free trade, left the poor on their own.

Can somebody please give me points for this essay: The effects of Partition on Ireland North and South? Thanks. :)

Is there a time period for that essay title K4t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Is there a time period for that essay title K4t?
    No. It's the one essay I'm struggling to write. Nobody in the class has done it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

You could divide it into;
    Immediate effects in the twenties-continued violence, effect of loss of industrial hub of Belfast on the Free State's economy, unrest at partition.

Committee (forget name) which decided on the border and a growing realisation that partition was there to stay.

Civil rights in the sixties, leading up to the troubles.

EU membership? continued violence. Economy in South starts to take off in ninties.

GFA and its implications.

Sorry the partition thing isn't my best topic.

Advertisement