Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Happy Christmas" or "Merry Christmas"?

Options
  • 03-01-2009 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

I personally would say to someone "Happy Christmas". I would also wish someone a "Happy New Year", but only after Christmas had passed.

I would never wish someone both a Happy Christmas and Happy New Year in the one go; I would only wish someone a Happy New Year after Christmas had already passed and New Year was about to happen/had just passed.

TBH, anything is better than the generic "Happy Holidays" b/s that many people on this side of the pond use.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

juvenal wrote: »

TBH, anything is better than the generic "Happy Holidays" b/s that many people on this side of the pond use.:(

Yes, but it avoids offending people which is why its used ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

mikemac wrote: »
    Yes, but it avoids offending people which is why its used ;)

Offending whom exactly? (apart from Outraged in Dublin 4 ;))

I understand why some people think they should use it, I've been listening to it for the better part of eight years now. If someone wishes me Happy Hanukkah or a Happy Chinese New Year, I'd be very pleased and not in the least bit offended. Why on earth people get offended over wishing someone a "Happy Christmas" I'll never know, regardless of their particular faith or lack thereof.

In wishing someone a Happy anything, one is communicating sentiments of goodwill to another, which can only be a good thing. Anyone offended by such a comment must have nothing better to do with their time. It's either Christmas, or else it's a random Thursday (this year) to some people - nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

I would say ‘Happy Christmas’ up to and including Christmas Day. After that I would say ‘Happy New Year’ until a short while after New Year’s Day. On Christmas cards I would usually write ‘Merry Christmas and a Happy New year’.

I don’t like the use of ‘Xmas’ unless in a text message, or small tag. As for the ‘Happy Holidays’ rubbish, I have no time for that sort of nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Happy Christmas :)

Friends of mine who arent catholic wish me Happy holidays i know its their way so doesnt matter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

could say Happy Xmas and New Years ! - though that sounds wrong too, doesnt it ?

Advertisement