Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hugh Laurie's real accent!

• 03-01-2009 1:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭

Has anyone heard him speaking in an interview? His accent is really posh and British :eek:! His acting skills are unreal! Apparantly he keeps the American accent for the whole day during shoots, even during his lunch break

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I would have thought 99% of people over here knew he was British. He's been acting/doing comedy since the early 80's in Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Watch him in Jeeves and Wooster. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

I would have thought 99% of people over here knew he was British. He's been acting/doing comedy since the early 80's in Britain.

Ya, I knew he was british alright but didn't think it was THAT posh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

I've never really watched House - but his talents were obvious from a long time ago ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Rich1691 wrote: »
    Ya, I knew he was british alright but didn't think it was THAT posh!

It's just Oxbridge English -RP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ElCrapula

Blackadder.
    wow,people only knowing him from house makes me feel old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

culabula wrote: »
    It's just Oxbridge English -RP.

Cambridge actually!

well both. Born in Oxford, studied in cambridge...

Him and Stephen Fry were part of the footlights drama group.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Cambridge actually!

In fairness,they were mighty commoners compared to us mighty Irish.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anyone who hasn't watched Blackadder is a cretin imo.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Cambridge actually!

I say, my dear chap, one does refer to those who read at both universities and to the accent generally associated with the class of wallah who typifies same as "Oxbridge", don't you know.

Spiffing.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Anyone who hasn't watched Blackadder is a cretin imo.

The sort of cretin who, if he himself were to wake of a morning and realise that he had not watched Blackadder, would then be even more of a cretin than those cretinous beings who may have happened upon the 27-minute televisusual feast during their cretinous lifetime and indeed the lifetimes of other cretins who may or may not be pals of theirs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

*wibble*

This is truely a faceplam thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Indeed, he would be as cretinous as a cretin who has just won Cretin of the Year award at the World Cretin Association's annual Cretin Ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

From Blackadder to Jeeves & Wooster + everything else in between > Hugh has a very 'English' accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Has anyone heard him speaking in an interview? His accent is really posh and British :eek:! His acting skills are unreal! Apparantly he keeps the American accent for the whole day during shoots, even during his lunch break

He is English and was schooled at Eton, England top private school - hence the accent. When he auditioned for the part of House the producers refused to believe him when he said he was English after being given the role.

I say, my dear chap, one does refer to those who read at both universities and to the accent generally associated with the class of wallah who typifies same as "Oxbridge", don't you know.

Spiffing.

DOH!

Sorry about that.

Was sleepy and only read the OX part of the word, and being a former cambridge resident I was up in arms and outraged demanding corrections before my brain deduced I was in the wrong

The sort of cretin who, if he himself were to wake of a morning and realise that he had not watched Blackadder, would then be even more of a cretin than those cretinous beings who may have happened upon the 27-minute televisusual feast during their cretinous lifetime and indeed the lifetimes of other cretins who may or may not be pals of theirs?

I'd like to say fail to that, if I may.

Meh, I thought that Hugh's actual accent was common knowledge, but then I too grew up on Blackadder, Wooster to his cameo in Friends.

I suppose it shows the generation gap that some now only know him from House!!! :D

Well it seems like ,by making this thread, I have made people feel old!:D
    A well!! House is all I've seen him in as a main character as for those other shows, I honestly had never heard of them before this thread after all I am under 20!,

• Advertisement

I honestly had never heard of them before this thread after all I am under 20!,

That it, rub it in...!!!

Well it seems like ,by making this thread, I have made people feel old!:D
    A well!! House is all I've seen him in as a main character as for those other shows, I honestly had never heard of them before this thread after all I am under 20!,

What has dismayed us all is that you reached 20 without ever thinking to watch Blackadder! :D

mike65 wrote: »
    What has dismayed us all is that you reached 20 without ever thinking to watch Blackadder! :D

Ok honestly I had never heard of it but thats probably just me, I'm not trying to generalize or anything, maybe I might look it up! Is it worth watching?
    O btw I'm still a couple of years off 20!

Yes! Avoid Series one which is quite different in terms of style and characters while not being too funny. Series 2 is good, series 3 is great, series 4 is nearly a masterpiece.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackadder

OK thanks I might take a look tonight if I have the time!

You can get a box set of the complete series (I've got it myself!).

Series 4 has, to my mind, the greatest conclusion to any TV series.

Ok honestly I had never heard of it but thats probably just me, I'm not trying to generalize or anything, maybe I might look it up! Is it worth watching?
    O btw I'm still a couple of years off 20!

I'm only 22 to be fair! I'd echo what's said by the lads - season 1 is dodgy.

2, 3 and 4 are superb though. I actually think 3 is my favorite but most people think 4 is the business.

It's up there probably as my favorite show ever - it moulded my sarcasm and deadpan wit to levels of unforeseen malevolence!

I seem to be getting some very good feedback on this show so I'm thinking of having a look anyway, by the sounds of it I should stay away from season 1 is that true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Season 1 is different to the other three insofar as the lead character is a bit of a goon, yet he has the highest social status of all the series. As the show continues, the Blackadder's social standing is reduced, while his intelligence goes from being a nitwit to being a brilliant, witty mind, and cunning deviant.:D

At the same time, these qualities in his aide, Baldrick, diminsh greatly, from the intelligent sidekick, to the bumbling idiot.

Personally I would also watch Season 1, while it may not be as good as the other three, it's still worth watching IMO.

Here's the opening of Season 1

and compare the Blackadder character to this one in Season 3 (after a minute or so)

• Advertisement

Ok well it looks alright but I think I might stick with House m.d for now. Thanks Juvenal!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

won the people choice award in la, best male actor

juvenal wrote: »
    Season 1 is different to the other three insofar as the lead character is a bit of a goon, yet he has the highest social status of all the series. As the show continues, the Blackadder's social standing is reduced, while his intelligence goes from being a nitwit to being a brilliant, witty mind, and cunning deviant.:D

At the same time, these qualities in his aide, Baldrick, diminsh greatly, from the intelligent sidekick, to the bumbling idiot.

Personally I would also watch Season 1, while it may not be as good as the other three, it's still worth watching IMO.

Ah, sixteen minutes of the Blackadder! Genius!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Early Hugh Lauire America accent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Great piano playing. Is there anything Hugh can't do?
    (Love Fry and Laurie btw)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ok well it looks alright but I think I might stick with House m.d for now. Thanks Juvenal!;)
    Seriously, buy the boxed set of Blackadder and watch series 2,3 and then 4. You won't regret it. It's a classic. :D
    I've actually never met anyone who has seen Blackadder and not liked it.. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

Shame on anyone who only knows him from House, and shame on those who only mention Jeeves & Wooster and Blackadder. How on Earth can you forget about A Bit of Fry & Laurie? That's the most brilliant comedy show of all time. I'm being serious. Google "youtube ABOFAL".

Oh and shame on you all for being pwned by a Frenchman (me) on such cultural matters ;). Three years ago I couldn't even understand a whole episode of Blackadder without any subtitles... :)

A_SN wrote: »
    Shame on anyone who only knows him from House, and shame on those who only mention Jeeves & Wooster and Blackadder. How on Earth can you forget about A Bit of Fry & Laurie? That's the most brilliant comedy show of all time. I'm being serious. Google "youtube ABOFAL".

Oh and shame on you all for being pwned by a Frenchman (me) on such cultural matters ;). Three years ago I couldn't even understand a whole episode of Blackadder without any subtitles... :)

Ca alors! Sans blague!

"Mais putain, qu'est-ce que je buvais cette nuit, nom de dieu? On dirait qu'il y a un francais qui reside dans ma tete"!

Ca alors! Sans blague!

"Mais putain, qu'est-ce que je buvais cette nuit, nom de dieu? On dirait qu'il y a un francais qui reside dans ma tete"!
    Ouais sans dec lol. Et ça vient d'où le reste?

Ouais sans dec lol. Et ça vient d'où le reste?

"What on earth was I drinking last night? My head feels like there is a Frenchman living in it".

Et -par pitie, en francais on ecrit "MDR" -pas LOL! :-) T'es vachetement trop longtemps dans ze north side.

Par contre, Blackadder, it's ze foute!

"What on earth was I drinking last night? My head feels like there is a Frenchman living in it".

Et -par pitie, en francais on ecrit "MDR" -pas LOL! :-) T'es vachetement trop longtemps dans ze north side.

Par contre, Blackadder, it's ze foute!
    Oui merci je comprends le français pas besoin de traduc lol juste d'une expliquation m'enfin c'est pas grave... Et nan j'ai remarqué y'a plus de monde maintenant qui dit lol que mdr, enfin si je me souviens bien lol.

• Advertisement

Oui merci je comprends le français pas besoin de traduc lol juste d'une expliquation m'enfin c'est pas grave... Et nan j'ai remarqué y'a plus de monde maintenant qui dit lol que mdr, enfin si je me souviens bien lol.

You asked where it came from.....that's the original quote. I thought it was most appropriate :-) MDR!

You asked where it came from.....that's the original quote. I thought it was most appropriate :-) MDR!
    lol oooh, yeah, I didn't remember that particular quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

If you've only seen Daniel Day Lewis in films check this out. Similar feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

more unusual hugh laurie from his past:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Hugh Laurie speak with an English accent on American TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXNd99IhdmA

Belfast wrote: »
    Hugh Laurie speak with an English accent on American TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXNd99IhdmA

Here it is:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Just came across him on 101 Dalmations now:pac:

Advertisement