Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wisdom of a WHV in a few months' time?

Options
  • 03-01-2009 2:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Just looking to get some thoughts here!

It appears that Oz is following the rest of the world into recession, and so unemployment shall be on the rise.

I was planning to go for the year (or 2) after I finish in college (May), as soon as I can afford it.

I was hoping to not have to save for TOO long before I go over, but I'm worried that I will find it difficult (like most people, including Aussies) to get work once I get over, and so will be in bad nick!

I'd be looking for low-skill work really, retail, warehouse, just enough to get through the week and pay for my travels around the country.

Will I struggle do ye think? What's the job market like at the moment?

Also, is there specific seasons/times that fruit-picking and the likes is done? From what I understand it's not hard to get work doing that, so if worst came to worst would I be still able to get work doing that (and earn a very low wage for it presumably) if all else falls through?

I'm still planning on heading over, but I'm a worrier y'see :(

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No thoughts? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No matter what happens here work wise I can't see it ever being worse than at home.

I can open the paper on a Wednesday and see countless jobs. It's just that people aren't willing to do it for fear of 'lowering themselves'.

Personally I think a lot of this recession talk is completely overblown, especially when comparisons are drawn with the 80s. Back then 'struggling' meant it was tough to put food on the table whereas now it just means you can only go on one shopping spree a month as opposed to four, or have to drink at home before going out instead of blowing a couple of hundred in a pub. Things were too cushy for too long and now folk are being brought back to reality, and it will do most of the Celtic Tiger brigade (and the Aussie equivalent) the world of good.

Yes there are jobs going over here and companies are downsizing but I honestly believe that if you are willing to work you will not have any trouble getting a solid job. Australia is too much of a developing country to not continue progressing.

Just my 2 dollar cents worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

You can fruit pick in Australia all through the year as different crops and fruits come into season. There is always work there and if you work for 6 months or so doing farm/fruit picking, you are entitled to another year on your visa.

All depends on what your job/skills are.

Definitely go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Id apply for the visa now anyway, before they cut them off, which they quite posibly will do (or at least limit them rather than throwing them out on request like now). IIRC once you have it you have a year to actually go to Oz (may be incorrect, someone clarify)

Some of the fruit picking is surprisingly well paid, I heard one person claim he got 30 dollars an hour (about 15 euro). Personally Im not planning on doing a single day more than the 3 months required for a yr 2 visa, only doing it up north to escape the Sydney winter and get the 2nd year visa. Dont fancy living up the country at all, and Im not really the travel around type, Sydney and good weather is all I need.

In short, my mate left in January, and while there are good points about me not having joined him (mainly they had an awful summer and autumn, he wasnt even sure he wanted to stay until about last August) I was there for a month in November-December and I cant get back fast enough (it is like there is some type of conspiracy to stop me going :p My WHV took about a week to process, which brought me into the Christmas/NY period when the travel agents werent open. Planned on sorting it out on Friday and the weekend but I have had litreally the worst bout of flu in 12 years. Let me out of this kip FFS :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Hey shane, where you doing ur fruit picking?

I'm heading to perth on monday and hoping to get the extra year on my visa. Any idea of the work over in perth?

• Advertisement

Cheers lads

Yeah I'm considering applying pretty soon. You do have a year to enter the country, and as we are planning on going next January at the latest, I reckon I'll apply at the end of this month.

The finances aspect is such a pain :( At the moment I'm in a part-time job that I hate, but I'm only doing a few hours a week as I need to concentrate on college since it's my final year. Any amount that I save now would be neglible really, so I'll have to save all my money between finishing college and actually leaving. So I have to hope that I actually manage to get a job over here!

How do ya get the fruit picking jobs by the way? Do they just advertise in the paper too or wha? :) Can't wait to get over there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Hey shane, where you doing ur fruit picking?

Im not in Oz- Im sitting in my room in Dublin trying to shake off the worst flu I have had in 12 years (and that one ****ing hospitalised me)- the only fruit picking Ive been doing is eating two baskets of oranges per day to try and get rid of it :p The wage depends on the area (i.e. higher wages to be found in the arsehole of nowhere with no social life) or the type of fruit picking involved (IIRC mangoes emit some irritant liquid when picked, so they have to pay people well to put up with picking them in the blazing sun whilst wearing a tonne of protective gear)

Im thinking Cairns or Darwin for maybe June, July and to the end of August. tbh I dont want to go up the country at all but what can you do?

Anyone know how close Sydney is to the begining of the agricultural areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Saintly

shane86 wrote: »
    Im not in Oz- Im sitting in my room in Dublin trying to shake off the worst flu I have had in 12 years (and that one ****ing hospitalised me)- the only fruit picking Ive been doing is eating two baskets of oranges per day to try and get rid of it :p The wage depends on the area (i.e. higher wages to be found in the arsehole of nowhere with no social life) or the type of fruit picking involved (IIRC mangoes emit some irritant liquid when picked, so they have to pay people well to put up with picking them in the blazing sun whilst wearing a tonne of protective gear)

Im thinking Cairns or Darwin for maybe June, July and to the end of August. tbh I dont want to go up the country at all but what can you do?

Anyone know how close Sydney is to the begining of the agricultural areas?

You might surprise yourself - Darwin is a fantastic spot, great social life, brilliant people and lots to see and do and you'll have crazier times in the smaller outback towns than you'll ever find in Sydney. Plus you might lose the inevitable Sydney stone in the gorgeous sweaty Darwin :)

Hey just gonna bump this cos I'm planning on going in February !

Question: should I book a return flight or no? I've been told that most people don't end up using it because it's limited to 11 months if you book an open-ended one. I could end up doing the second year, so it could go to waste. But I like the idea of having the insurance of having the flight already booked just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

*subs*

Planning on headin sometime around March maybe on me lonesome so all info welcome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement