Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick Yaris speedometer question

Options
  • 03-01-2009 2:26am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just another question coming from my quest for a used car.. do the Toyota Yaris' have digital speedometers? Are they in kilometres? I'm thinking of having a look at 2001-2002 years and don't know if they might have the old non-digital clock ones in miles. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Caderyn wrote: »
    Just another question coming from my quest for a used car.. do the Toyota Yaris' have digital speedometers? Are they in kilometres? I'm thinking of having a look at 2001-2002 years and don't know if they might have the old non-digital clock ones in miles. :o
    All except the 1.5 T-Sport had digital speedos.

The digital speedos in the 99-05 Yaris can toggle between MPH and KM/H

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

100_1000.jpg

As you can see from the above photo you can change it from mph to kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Japanese import ones will have Kilometres only, some digital, some analogue. either way, they're all clocked in km apart from the T SPort (which you don't want anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That's the only feature that I like about Yaris's. Why aren't more cars fitted with these, they look sweet.

I think if they were fitted to more mainstream cars, it would put a lot of potential buyers off. they only tend to be fitted to more daring cars (yaris was pretty advanced in 1999), like the Prius/Citroen C4 etc. don't know how suited they would be to a Passat/5 series etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Without meaning to hijack this thread how does it work on a driving test since the tester can't see the speedometor from the passenger seat?
    It's angled towards the driver by design

I did my test in one in 1999, just after the Yaris came out. Instructor advised me to go a couple of mph over the limit, which I did. Tester tried to fail me for not making sufficent progress, eventually passed.

Toyota do a speedo kit in the UK for the old model that fits into the cupholder, they revised the design in 2005 when the new model came out, so that the passenger can now also see the speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I did my test in my 01 Yaris in May, and I queried the speedo position with my driving instructor. He said the tester will "have a good idea" of what speed you're doing. Anyway, I stuck to the limit during the test and passed.

I love the Yaris speedo, and the dashboard display in general. I'm definately getting another Yaris when I can afford to buy a new model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

mikemac wrote: »
    Without meaning to hijack this thread how does it work on a driving test since the tester can't see the speedometor from the passenger seat?
    It's angled towards the driver by design

A tester should know by the speed the cars moving at if your doing 50 or 60km/h, otherwise they shouldn't be in that line of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

I'd say if the tester is driving the same routes all day every day they'll have a good idea of whether you're exceeding the limit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement