Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"No Irish Need Apply"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

shqipshume wrote: »
    Ok here,Irish teen in school has argument with African teen.African Teen calls Irish teen white thrash,Irish teen calls back ******( sorry for the word) Irish teen gets expelled.True story
    I know it has nothing to do with this thread
    Indeed it does not.
    jmcc wrote: »
    The danger is that they turn on those least able to defend themselves instead of the architects of the problem.
    People are often the architects of their own problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Yesterday those signs have been apparently seen on Polish companies in Poland. Today Onet.pl says that there have been apparently seen in Ireland, but on Polish-owned companies. Someone must be really sick giving such bollocks to public. Even sicker is the one who believes in that. It's pathetic.

Anyway, going the above way, it was recently brought to my attention, that the Irish weren't really neutral and apparently they have secretly started and planned World War II. Therefore they are responsible for mass murders in apparently Irish concentration camps - obviously using Germans for their plan to succeed.

I am going to write an article about it in some Polish and Jewish newspapers, mostly. I wonder how many morons would take it seriously ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

sink wrote: »
    AH thread was closed. Frankly reading through some of the comments made me angry. We are just as prone to primitive tribalism as we ever were. I doubt this story is even real and was just written to sell newspapers, typical indo tabloid gutter journalism.

+1:) fully agree..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

AH thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055452002

Some of the stupidity is astounding even for After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭AMIIAM

" No Irish need apply" on Polish building sites. The Irish Times reported this news item yesterday 2nd Jan. Indo seems to be behind as per usual. If the news item is factually correct, I am not in the least surprised, as Polish workers were shamefully exploited during the CELTIC TIGER years; ( WHAT CELTIC TIGER?) by Irish employers and Sub Contractors . Payback time always comes around.Ask your local BANK Manager where it all went so terribly wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

AMIIAM wrote: »
    " No Irish need apply" on Polish building sites. The Irish Times reported this news item yesterday 2nd Jan. Indo seems to be behind as per usual. If the news item is factually correct, I am not in the least surprised, as Polish workers were shamefully exploited during the CELTIC TIGER years; ( WHAT CELTIC TIGER?) by Irish employers and Sub Contractors . Payback time always comes around.Ask your local BANK Manager where it all went so terribly wrong?

Exploited How!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Bren1609 wrote: »
    Exploited How!?!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/no-irish-need-apply--polish-builders-get-their-own-back-1589265.html

Mr Kilcoyne said: "The reality is that our international reputation as employers has been sullied. Many foreign people who have worked here, especially during our boom years, have had bad experiences.
    "The evidence of this is in the number of cases taken before the Labour Relations Commission over the last year or two in respect of unpaid wages or holiday money that was not paid.
    "Ireland's name as a good place to work has been badly damaged by such contractors who held onto the money of their workers."

Anyway, I am still certain that all this story with the "No Irish" signs was made up and i total bulls....t.

Bren, If i really have to explain it to you, you are obviously ignorant of the facts!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Bren, If i really have to explain it to you, you are obviously ignorant of the facts!?

I'm just not sure why I should be asking my bank manager about some unscrupulous Irish employers in the construction sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Dudess wrote: »
    AH thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055452002

Some of the stupidity is astounding even for After Hours.

:D Wasted 20 minutes on that! But Yep, was genuinely surprised by the attitudes of a couple of posters on it, who I did respect, though vehemently disagree with!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Victor wrote: »
    johnnyskeleton, while i have my doubts about the piece, you forget the subcontracting and ganging nature of Irish construction, which create a blur between employer and employee.

I don't think so. My point is that Polish people who came here to work are not necessarily going back home and starting up construction firms of their own. Equally, the Polish people who run the sites in Poland have not necessarily spent any time working in Ireland. While I'm speculating to some extent, I would say that the Polish site bosses don't really care about how Polish workers were treated in Ireland because it didn't happen to them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

djpbarry wrote: »
    Bit of a contradiction there, no? It's not racism, it's just a set of generalisations about a particular nationality?

For the record, I wouldn't say there's a great deal of truth behind the story.

Well, it's not racist on the part of all Polish people, it's generalisations made by Polish employers from experience. I'd say it's prejudice rather than racism.

Sink, Could you just re-read my post? It is self explanatory to most.

Sink, Could you just re-read my post? It is self explanatory to most.

I'm sorry I don't know what you are trying to get at. Are you saying the bank managers were responsible for the immigrants exploitation, if so what is your justification? Or are you getting the banking crisis, the recession and labour disputes all muddled up in that head of yours.

Sink, Are you admitting on this forum that you do not realise that the BANKS made money freely available to ANY fly by night developer/ Builder to get rich quick overnight:?? NO HOLDS BARRED?? Again I refer to the mythological "CELTIC TIGER"!!

Sink, Are you admitting on this forum that you do not realise that the BANKS made money freely available to ANY fly by night developer/ Builder to get rich quick overnight:?? NO HOLDS BARRED?? Again I refer to the mythological "CELTIC TIGER"!!

Yes I am perfectly aware that banks had very liberal lending policies contributing to the housing bubble but I was not aware that banks had any role/responsibility or indeed any recourse to investigate the labour practices of the developers they lent money to. You are confusing the two issues.

The celtic tiger was not mythological it was a very real boom in the manufacturing and r&d sectors leading to increased employment and increased exports. It ended circa 2001 when our overpriced labour force, lack of investment in infrastructure and increased bureaucracy led to a decrease in competitiveness. The celtic tiger is only connected to the housing bubble which began circa 1999 in that it substantially increased the disposable income of the average Irish citizen allowing them to play with the property market.

Sink, Can I just finish off with your remark the "CELTIC TIGER" was real, I presume that you believe "SANTA CLAUS" is also a fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Sink, Can I just finish off with your remark the "CELTIC TIGER" was real, I presume that you believe "SANTA CLAUS" is also a fact?

The CELTIC TIGER was real. It only cost 0% down and repayments over 35 years. What a bargin! Now alls we have to do is pay for it.

Ah Dob, What is going to be the REAL cost to the Irish taxpayer for the fabled "CELTIC TIGER"??

You don't know what you are talking about. The is Celtic tiger is a recognised period of economic history by virtually all economists. Here are a few books written on the subject.

* The Celtic Tiger: Ireland's Continuing Economic Miracle by Paul Sweeney ISBN 1-86076-148-8
    * After the Celtic Tiger: Challenges Ahead by Peter Clinch, Frank Convery and Brendan Walsh ISBN 0-86278-767-X
    * The Celtic Tiger? : The Myth of Social Partnership by Kieran Allen ISBN 0-7190-5848-1
    * The Making of the Celtic Tiger: The Inside Story of Ireland's Boom Economy by Ray Mac Sharry, Joseph O'Malley and Kieran Kennedy ISBN 1-85635-336-2
    * The End of Irish History? : Critical Approaches to the Celtic Tiger by Colin Coulter, Steve Coleman ISBN 0-7190-6231-4
    * The Celtic Tiger In Distress: Growth with Inequality in Ireland by Peadar Kirby, Peadar Kir ISBN 0-333-96435-7
    * Can the Celtic Tiger Cross the Irish Border? (Cross Currents) by John Bradley, Esmond Birnie ISBN 1-85918-312-3
    * Inside the Celtic Tiger: The Irish Economy and the Asian Model (Contemporary Irish Studies) by Denis O'Hearn ISBN 0-7453-1283-7
    * OECD, (2002). OECD Information Technology Outlook. O.E.C.D., Paris.
    * OECD (2004). OECD Information Technology Outlook. O.E.C.D., Paris.

• Advertisement

But sink, The "CELTIC TIGER" is DEAD. Who foots the BILL?

The Celtic Tiger substantially reduced our national debt! The housing bubble and credit binge are the cause of our current debts and are separate to the Celtic tiger.

Probably the people who had their hands tied behind their backs by the Bank Manager and Bertie to pay €1,000,000 on 4 bedroom houses in D4 etc.

Probably the same people who HAD to buy the new 4*4 because the Bank Manager told them too.

Anyway, what has the Bank Manager got to do with these mythical "No Irish allowed" signs in Poland?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If this is made up the Polish embassy should persue the Indo, Times and Mr Kilcoyne for a retraction and apology.

If its true then I suspect an awful lot of building projects in Poland are being aided by EU funding and the ones where this is found to be happening on should have their funding withdrawn and then be pursued under EU law which I believe this practice is illegal under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I don't know exactly what his intention was but it is interesting the way Mr Kilcoyne manages to stir up anti-Polish sentiment while at the same time appearing concerned about Polish exploitation thus extricating himself from accusations of xenophobia.

The annoying thing is that two newspapers ran the "story" without asking him for proof of the No Irish signs, that they were posted by Polish site bosses, or any link with exploitation of Polish workers in Ireland.

gandalf wrote: »
    If this is made up the Polish embassy should persue the Indo, Times and Mr Kilcoyne for a retraction and apology.

If its true then I suspect an awful lot of building projects in Poland are being aided by EU funding and the ones where this is found to be happening on should have their funding withdrawn and then be pursued under EU law which I believe this practice is illegal under.

You're forgetting the 16th protocol to the European Convention on Human Rights - "The Paddy exemption from protection against discrimination".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

The reason I am ignorant of the facts is because there are none and if so point them out to me. I keep hearing this "poor immigrant" story that is simply not true and if you're referring to the Gamma story bear in mnd that Gamma is not an Irish company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Ah Dob, What is going to be the REAL cost to the Irish taxpayer for the fabled "CELTIC TIGER"??

Its going to be great. The taxpayer will first half to bail out BANKS, currently in progress. We now are going to have to pay ourselves less if we are going to stay competitive. That will take along time to get right. We are facing along recession, the last 5 years of economic growth have been based on massive private borrowing. It looks like the next 5 years there will have to be massive public borrowing :(. Basicly we are screwed in the short term

Dob74 wrote: »
    Its going to be great. The taxpayer will first half to bail out BANKS, currently in progress. We now are going to have to pay ourselves less if we are going to stay competitive. That will take along time to get right. We are facing along recession, the last 5 years of economic growth have been based on massive private borrowing. It looks like the next 5 years there will have to be massive public borrowing :(. Basicly we are screwed in the short term

Still wondering what that has to do with Immigration and the ALLEGED Posters in Poland!

The only thing related from that post is that part of the reason for the economic growth we had in the last 5 years was Immigration, seeing as we'd reached Full Employment then.

The taxpayers bailing out the banks, paying less to stay competitive etc. is somehow tied to this thread?

Personally, I'd ignore Immigration which is not a current problem and focus on emigration, a current one. If something like this happens abroad, take a picture with a mobile phone and make it public?

Also concentrate on the Public Service and make sure we do not pay for them for us to remain competitive. A big part of the boom of the last 5 years was based on its increased numbers and the easy availability of credit based on it. Make sure it's cut back!

Still, back to the thread, any evidence yet?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Unless someone can come up with actual evidence of these signs existing - in which case they can PM me with it - this thread is going nowhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement