Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone used - Eco Wool insulation - Recycled plastic Insulation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Thanks for that. I was wondering about the fire resistance of it. The stuff you used is that whats the fire rating on that that. Looks a bit messy tbh.

The plastic Eco-wool has no stated fire resistance (!!), but the Warmcel is listed as being 'fire resistant'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

10-10-20 wrote: »
    The plastic Eco-wool has no fire resistance (!!), but the Warmcel is listed as being 'fire resistant'.

Bit pointless so. Big fire risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,176 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I have laid a couple of layers of the Eco-Wool (from B&Q) over my existing fibreglass insulation in the attic.

In the interests of science I grabbed a lump of each and tried to set fire to them both.

The fibreglass just went gray with no flame at all.
    The Eco-Wool mainly just melted, occasionally, with effort on my part it would catch but burn itself out pretty quickly.

If think if you had enough flames in your attic to get it to catch then your house was in trouble anyway.

Just my 2c and Im probably biased since I have already laid it :)

• Advertisement

So it may be self-extinguishing, but it's not stated! :)

I correct myself, it has been addded - http://www.eco-wool.co.uk/downloads/Eco-Wool.pdf
    Fire Test BS 5803-4 = PASSED.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,176 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I wouldnt go so far as to say "self-extinguishing" it did catch and gave off some tasty black smoke.
    Its just hard to light, as it melts/shrinks away from the flame before it can catch.

Advertisement