Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do ye consider a reasonable price for a pint of Stout/Lager?

Options
  • 03-01-2009 3:57am

Seen so much complaining about it.Just wondering what ye would consider a fair price.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Any even number! Charge me €5.15 again and I'll batter you!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

BOGOF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

BOGOF.

QFT

4 quid in nightclubs. 5 in pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

In Dublin, anything above a fiver really pisses me off, if it is, as said above, something retarded, like 5.05 etc.. Although, having said that, I find myself surprised to be charged less than a fiver in the city centre.

I think the pub owners were trying to con people with the whole 'we wont raise our drink prices for an entire year' game, when they know there's a good chance of deflation and the price of a pint, in line with petrol etc., should be coming down.

I just hope to god we see an end to people paying a fiver for a pint before 11, and six quid for a pint after eleven, and not batting an eyelid. Dont get me started on charging me a tenner on the way in for the privilege.

EDIT: and to answer the OPs question, I think about 4-4.50 is good enough value these days in the city centre, about 4 quid outside the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

4 or 4.50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

€3.50 Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i don't think its unreasonable to expect 3 pints for a tenner. i think we're too used to ridiculously expensive nights out. obviously more upmarket places will always charge extra but the amount of bog standard places charging premium prices is beyond ridic

Drinking in , is the new going out.
    And who can blame people for doing it?

Off licences will be the one's to put the pubs out of buisness , not the smoking ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

4 euro... dublins a rip off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

€1.50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

€3.50 for a pint of stout.

Pub owners, the rip-off days are over.

Drop your prices or bye bye. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

A certain bar I frequent does €2.90 pints up until 9pm whenn they're kicked up to €4.80 or so. They'd hardly make a loss for 6 or 7 hours so I figure €3 would be a pretty fair price. At minimum wage that's about 1 hour getting you 2.5 pints. That seems a damn sight better than what it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

€50.

noblestee wrote: »
    In Dublin, anything above a fiver really pisses me off, if it is, as said above, something retarded, like 5.05 etc.. Although, having said that, I find myself surprised to be charged less than a fiver in the city centre.

I think the pub owners were trying to con people with the whole 'we wont raise our drink prices for an entire year' game, when they know there's a good chance of deflation and the price of a pint, in line with petrol etc., should be coming down.

I just hope to god we see an end to people paying a fiver for a pint before 11, and six quid for a pint after eleven, and not batting an eyelid. Dont get me started on charging me a tenner on the way in for the privilege.

EDIT: and to answer the OPs question, I think about 4-4.50 is good enough value these days in the city centre, about 4 quid outside the city.

Publicans won't lower their prices unless Guinness and Heineken decide to lower them.
    In my pub we only raised prices when Diageo etc. raised them.

A the moment:Pint of Stout:3.80
    Pint of Lager:4.30.

Personally I feel these prices are not exorbant.People complain that we are expensive but we did Bavaria for 3 euro for a couples of years and nobod would buy it.

Frada , we are talking about the price of a pint in a pub,
    not the places you frequent.

€50.

You must frequent some pretty upmarket spots in Galway :rolleyes:

Kold wrote: »
    A certain bar I frequent does €2.90 pints up until 9pm whenn they're kicked up to €4.80 or so. They'd hardly make a loss for 6 or 7 hours so I figure €3 would be a pretty fair price. At minimum wage that's about 1 hour getting you 2.5 pints. That seems a damn sight better than what it is now.

Depends how many kegs they will go through.Get more free kegs, the more you sell.In fairness.At most 25% of a bars business is done before 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

i have no problem paying €4/5 in country/city for a nice pint.
    give me some flat skany **** in a warm wet glass nd il freak the **** out!

€50.

That classy joint beside the Roisin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

€50.

Handed over many 50's tonight?

€4.50 in Dublin and €4.20 outside would be reasonable for lager / cider.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

€4 - €5 a pint??

Sure a litre of petrol is only 92c now and guaranteed to get you far more wasted.

but we did Bavaria for 3 euro for a couples of years and nobod would buy it.

People have their own brand of drink , and wouldn't touch Bavaria if it was being , given away.

ie : A Guinness drinker is not going to order Bavaria just because it is being sold cheaper than Guinness.
    Same goes for anyone that sticks to a particular brand.

So I am not surprised it failed.

What I find most astonishing is that people accept the prices in city centre pubs and then complain about them.
    Why not support your local pub and their cheaper prices rather than feed into the exorbant prices in the "classy" pubs?
    If a publican sold all pints for 3:50, then the pub would go bust as they wouldn't cover the expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I used to buy pitchers of Bavaria for €8 and they'd top up the third pint. Was a decent deal. When every draught is the same I'll get a Heineken or a stout but Bavaria cans can't be beaten for price, it's far nicer than other budget beers.

Taken to ordering Beamish these days. €3.20 in a lot of places and it's lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

You must frequent some pretty upmarket spots in Galway :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, gilded cowboy boots are a requirement.
    That classy joint beside the Roisin?

It's a secret.
    abitlonely wrote: »
    Handed over many 50's tonight?

Not to a barman, I stayed in tonight with a cold so I threw them in the fire instead.

People have their own brand of drink , and wouldn't touch Bavaria if it was being , given away.

ie : A Guinness drinker is not going to order Bavaria just because it is being sold cheaper than Guinness.
    Same goes for anyone that sticks to a particular brand.

So I am not surprised it failed.
    Back in the nineties, we sold Beamish at 50 pence lower than Guinness and people would still not drink it.Which lead to Market domination by Diageo which menat they were free to charge what ever they want for a keg.

Back in the nineties, we sold Beamish at 50 pence lower than Guinness and people would still not drink it.Which lead to Market domination by Diageo which menat they were free to charge what ever they want for a keg.

I guess it is hard to change people's minds on what they like /prefer to drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Did your pub not learn the first time? Beamish and guiness is not the same... simple as.

I guess it is hard to change people's minds on what they like /prefer to drink.

I am actually surprised how much people blame Diageo etc for the rise of drink.I guarantee if Diageo,Heineken did not raise the raise the price of a keg,then pints would be a hell of a lot cheaper than they are.

• Advertisement

Not to a barman, I stayed in tonight with a cold so I threw them in the fire instead.

I personally prefer to light my cigars with excess banknotes, but hey whatever youre into.

Advertisement