Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu-eee re-branded

• 03-01-2009 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

thelogo.png

Taken from here. Not too many people happy with the name or logo on the blog. I'm updating atm so will report back with the good and/or bad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

That's awful. It makes it sound retarded or something. There's nothing to link the brand with the eee thing.

Words fail me.

that would put me off buying an eeePC if I have to see that logo each time!

(given thats the OS I would choose to run)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

It looks a bit like this
    heading2-lemon.gif

Surprised they didn't even get an original name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Kinetic^ - Did you upgrade ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Kinetic^ - Did you upgrade ?

Nay, the release was put back to today and I haven't done anything about it. I'm not sure if I will tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Just got an Eee PC and don't like the default install. Should I go with this or just install Ubuntu or a slimmed down variant like Xubuntu or Fluxbuntu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

well its still the same functionality as ubuntu-eee just a different look, there is also eeebuntu as an option which i believe is along the same lines. of the standard ubuntu installs xubuntu is the lightest i think.

the only one i've tried is the old ubuntu-eee and that was quite good and user friendly.

If you can get hold of ubuntu-eee then I'd go for that. Everything works pretty much straight away but if you have any questions then fire away.

I'll be ok installing and fixing it - I'm a Linux user anyway :).

My main problem is that I hate the children's toy interface. I'd rather have a proper desktop. I was thinking of just installing Ubuntu from a USB key - I can create it from my home install. But an optimised one would save me the hassle of turning off unneeded features to save battery power. I'll see if I can find Ubuntu-eee and give it a try.

There's always Rat Poison too - to do away with that pesky rodent requirement :D The DE only uses about 80Mb of RAM.

[edit]Found Ubuntu-eee 8.04.1 at Sourceforge - that was the latest version of it right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

Which eee are you guys using for eee-ubuntu?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Macros42 wrote: »
    There's always Rat Poison too - to do away with that pesky rodent requirement :D The DE only uses about 80Mb of RAM.

You should have a look at http://xmonad.org/.

Out of all the tiling window managers, this is the one I use daily from now on.
    It does require the Haskell compiler and lib as dependencies, but it uses very little memory which is a bonus:pac:

Ratpoisen isn't maintained anymore, so StumpWM is another unstable alternative. Xmonad has the least features, but is the most stable.

zekiel wrote: »
    Which eee are you guys using for eee-ubuntu?

I've got the 1000 which originally had xandros on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm running this from my usb key and its great except for the childish logo. Can't get it to install tho as I've only got a 2G Surf and 2GB isn't enough for the install minus /usr and swap, others having the same problem. Trying an older Ubuntu eee later, have the torrent dl'in

Have it up and running - much nicer than the default Xandros.

What partitioning did you guys use? I've just created a single ext2 partition mounted at / with no swap partition. No journalling and no swap means less writes so the disk will last longer. If performance is an issue I can create a swap file later. And there's no need for journalling on this - I won't be storing any important data on it anyway.

I've Ubuntu eee 8.04.1 running on mine now, much nicer without the stupid Easy Peasy logo. Thats 3 OS's I've tried on this eee PC today, eeeXubuntu, which was nice and fast but too similar to Xandros which I hated, Easy Peasy which was fine except for the childish logo and finally Ubuntu eee which I'm settling on.

I've added a 2GB SD and I've the original 2GB SSD in a single partion in ext3, a 1900MB ext3 partion for /usr and a 64MB swap (although I think I'll remove it to prolong the SD).

Note to anyone installing on a 2G Surf (or even those valuing space with larger eee PC's), select No Localisation during install and it won't install language packs and saves space

Holy disgusting logo batman!!! I went to install this earlier, the logo booted up and was like........eh no, byes! No way is this ever going on my laptop. Ubuntu-eee is just fine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

They should have called it Ubeeentu

The logo is just the desktop background, its easy to change it, all other logo's are Ubuntu's. Boot from Usb and see for yourself. Its actually a lovely distro, has all the nice touches of Intrepid, i'm loving it, although I've changed the network manager in favour of Wicd as new network manager fails to bring up a static ip (defaults to dhcp no matter what) which i need

BTW, I managed to strip down Easy Peasy to fit on a 2GB Surf and 2GB SD card, I just mounted the .iso and removed Open Office and Picassa packages. Can upload it if anyones interested.
    towel401 wrote: »
    They should have called it Ubeeentu

Its not just Canonical, Asus asked not to use "eee"

Installed it over the weekend for a mate.

It is a really nice little distro, very easy to use and worked well out of the box. That background pic is just awful though and there are little bits and pieces that are niggling. However, will be running it on my own netbook when I get one!

I like Ubuntueee - anything is better than the default install anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

I've a 701 4G. Check out cruncheee! Default theme's a bit dark, but it works really well.

Here's another distro that's coming out this year. From all the comments on it, it supposedly looks like an iPhone but I don't have one so I can't comment. It looks ok tbh but more interested in performance then anything.

http://www.jolicloud.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jolicloud/3218231449/

For crunchee: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic/424/cruncheee-81001-release-candidate-1/

Will check it out later.

Hi Kinetic, thanks for adding that link to the eee version of crunchbang.
    Crunchee is well past beta now - I just didn't have an URL at the time,
    was using my phone, and google returns the link as search post 1.

Make sure you get version 8.10.2 - the beta didn't install the EEE control panel cleanly.
    This gives you a set of on/off switches for wireless/SD/bluetooth/webcam to save extra battery.
    Works great on the 701 and the 900 anyway. I'll try it on a 1000 tomorrow.

To clarify, crunchbang is a spin of Ubuntu 8.10, so all ubuntu repositories are available.
    By default it uses the openbox desktop, so it leaves a lot more memory available for applications.
    It's also picked up the Huaweii 220 (3) and the E169 (3) USB 3G modems for me first time,
    and offers a config panel that contains all the setup information.

This is a nice little distro, have made it my main one. It get rids of the fisher price ui but keeps the performance of ubuntueee. Thanks for telling us about it. :)

Not in a position to torrent it to save bandwidth as the guys asked so I did the next best thing:

Boards mirror :)

Looks like a very nice distro.

Now why does Cruncheee fail to even run live from usb key, I've tried a dl from another mirror in case I had a corrupt dl which fails also. Maybe it to do with having a 2G Surf. I've even ran it in Virtualbox on my own pc to make sure the .iso boots, which it does. I've no problem with Ubuntu eee, eeebuntu, Easy Peasy, pupeee etc, why just this? It gets as far as launching Xserver afetr the crunch band loading bar fills and appears to fail, screen goes blank and it just hangs. Tried several times, formatted the usb key and tried again making bootable .iso again, tried .iso from different mirror etc, all no good

What are you using to load it onto the usb key? I used unetbootin and had zero problems when on live and installed it through that too.

Ugh! have come across a problem in getting my network shares to display in cruncheee and few others are having the same issue with it and normal crunchbang 8.10. :( Really hope someone finds a solution as it's the only issue I have with it.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    What are you using to load it onto the usb key? I used unetbootin and had zero problems when on live and installed it through that too.

Ya, thats what I'm using. It just doesn't work on my 2G Surf no matter what. I can boot any other distro but this.

• Advertisement

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Ugh! have come across a problem in getting my network shares to display in cruncheee and few others are having the same issue with it and normal crunchbang 8.10. :( Really hope someone finds a solution as it's the only issue I have with it.

Could you describe the problem you're seeing, or link to the discussion on the main site?
    I've been mad busy for the last week, but will take a look if I know where the issue lies.

I installed Cruncheee on my netbook last weekend and I love it. Much more streamlined than Ubuntueee - uses half the ram and just generally faster.

niallb wrote: »
    Could you describe the problem you're seeing, or link to the discussion on the main site?
    I've been mad busy for the last week, but will take a look if I know where the issue lies.

Here. Cheers.
    Macros42 wrote: »
    I installed Cruncheee on my netbook last weekend and I love it. Much more streamlined than Ubuntueee - uses half the ram and just generally faster.

Yeah I agree, defo faster. Conky is a great app that comes pre-installed. Here's my desktop....

72733.png

I likey - haven't used Conky before. Really need to read the man page. But you could save me the hassle and just give me your .conkyrc file ... it has everything I want on it already. :)

Heh..... You'll need to make an account over on www.weather.com and follow how to do that in the thread above as you need some sort of code or something. My config is this:
    # set to yes if you want Conky to be forked in the background
    background yes

# Use Xft?
    use_xft yes
    xftfont DejaVu Sans:size=8
    xftalpha 0.8
    text_buffer_size 2048

# Xft font when Xft is enabled
    xftfont Sans:size=7

# Text alpha when using Xft
    xftalpha 1

# Update interval in seconds
    update_interval 1.0

# This is the number of times Conky will update before quitting.
    # Set to zero to run forever.
    total_run_times 0

own_window yes
    own_window_transparent yes
    #own_window_type override
    own_window_type desktop
    #own_window_type normal #use this if you want a nice shadow to appear around conky

# If own_window is yes, these window manager hints may be used
    own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager

# Use double buffering (reduces flicker, may not work for everyone)
    double_buffer yes

# Minimum size of text area
    minimum_size 200 200

# Maximum width
    maximum_width 240

# Draw shades?
    draw_shades yes

# Draw outlines?
    draw_outline no

# Draw borders around text
    draw_borders no

# Draw borders around graphs
    draw_graph_borders no

# Stippled borders?
    # stippled_borders 8

# border margins
    # border_margin 2

# border width
    # border_width 1

# Default colors and also border colors
    default_color white
    default_shade_color black
    default_outline_color white

# Text alignment, other possible values are commented
    #alignment top_left
    alignment top_right
    #alignment bottom_left
    #alignment bottom_right
    #alignment none

# Gap between borders of screen and text
    # same thing as passing -x at command line
    gap_x 12
    gap_y 12

# Subtract file system buffers from used memory?
    no_buffers yes

# set to yes if you want all text to be in uppercase
    uppercase no

# number of cpu samples to average
    # set to 1 to disable averaging
    cpu_avg_samples 2

# Force UTF8? note that UTF8 support required XFT
    override_utf8_locale yes

##############################################
    ##############################################

TEXT

SYSTEM ${hr}
    ${voffset 2}${font StyleBats:size=16}i${font}   Kernel:  ${alignr}${kernel}
    ${font StyleBats:size=16}A${font}   CPU: ${cpu cpu1}% ${alignr}${cpubar cpu1 8,60}
    ${font StyleBats:size=16}g${font}   RAM: $memperc% ${alignr}${membar 8,60}
    ${font Webdings:size=16}~${font}  Battery: ${battery_percent BAT0}% ${alignr}${battery_bar 8,60 BAT0}
    ${font StyleBats:size=16}q${font}   Uptime: ${alignr}${uptime}

DATE ${hr}
    ${alignc 35}${font Trebuchet MS:size=26}${time %H:%M}${font}
    ${alignc}${time %a %d %b %Y}

NETWORK ${hr}
    ${if_existing /proc/net/route ra0}
    ${voffset -6}${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}O${font}   Up: ${upspeed ra0} kb/s ${alignr}${upspeedgraph ra0 8,60}
    ${voffset 4}${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}U${font}   Down: ${downspeed ra0} kb/s ${alignr}${downspeedgraph ra0 8,60}
    ${voffset 4}${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}N${font}   Upload: ${alignr}${totalup ra0}
    ${voffset 4}${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}T${font}   Download: ${alignr}${totaldown ra0}
    ${voffset 4}${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}Z${font}   Signal: ${wireless_link_qual ra0}% ${alignr}${wireless_link_bar 8,60 ra0}
    ${else}${if_existing /proc/net/route eth0}
    ${voffset -6}${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}O${font}   Up: ${upspeed eth0} kb/s ${alignr}${upspeedgraph eth0 8,60 789E2D A7CC5C}
    ${voffset 4}${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}U${font}   Down: ${downspeed eth0} kb/s ${alignr}${downspeedgraph eth0 8,60 789E2D A7CC5C}
    ${voffset 4}${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}N${font}   Upload: ${alignr}${totalup eth0}
    ${voffset 4}${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}T${font}   Download: ${alignr}${totaldown eth0}
    ${voffset 4}${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}a${font}   Local Ip: ${alignr}${addr eth0}
    ${endif}${else}${if_existing /proc/net/route eth1}
    ${voffset -6}${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}O${font}   Up: ${upspeed eth1} kb/s ${alignr}${upspeedgraph eth1 8,60 789E2D A7CC5C}
    ${voffset 4}${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}U${font}   Down: ${downspeed eth1} kb/s ${alignr}${downspeedgraph eth1 8,60 789E2D A7CC5C}
    ${voffset 4}${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}N${font}   Upload: ${alignr}${totalup eth1}
    ${voffset 4}${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}T${font}   Download: ${alignr}${totaldown eth1}
    ${voffset 4}${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}a${font}   Local Ip: ${alignr}${addr eth1}
    ${endif}${else}
    ${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}4${font}   Network Unavailable
    ${endif}
    WEATHER ${hr}
    ${if_existing /proc/net/route ra0}
    ${voffset -8}${alignr 80}${font ConkyWeather:style=Bold:size=40}${execi 600 conkyForecast --location=EIXX0014 --datatype=WF}${font}
    ${voffset -52}${font Weather:size=35}y${font}   ${voffset -38}${font Trebuchet MS:size=26}${execi 600 conkyForecast --location=EIXX0014 --datatype=HT}${font}

${voffset 0}Humidity: ${alignr}${execi 600 conkyForecast --location=EIXX0014 --datatype=HM}
    ${voffset 0}Daylight: ${alignr}${execi 600 conkyForecast --location=EIXX0014 --datatype=SR} - ${execi 600 conkyForecast --location=EIXX0014 --datatype=SS}
    ${voffset 0}${font}Wind Speed: ${alignr}${execi 600 conkyForecast --location=EIXX0014 --datatype=WS}

I have it set up to start after 10-12 seconds. It allows wifi to kick in so it picks up the weather info. If you don't you'll just have to restart conky which would be a pain every time you login. I'm not sure if it would that or long on LAN so just see what happens. If you need the alternative fonts just let me know and I'll put them up here. The location "EIXX0014" is Dublin (ftw btw) ;)) but you can find alterntive cities on www.weather.com.

Edit: also, my res is 1024*600 so people with desktops will be able to fit a lot more functions into their conky.

Thanks - I'll remove the weather bit myself. I mostly use it offline anyway. But I like the rest of it. When I have time to do some reading I'll play with it myself but for now yours is great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

I use that Conky with the weather display but I tweaked it a little - changed the time display and replaced it with process info and a few other minor changes.

I've put the .conkyrc here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6724067&postcount=5676

Image here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=103072&d=1234471778

Very nice. I'll have to see if I could fit some of the extra weather stuff in, my eee screen is small though. :(

Advertisement