Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Apple Laptops if you buy from UK sites

• 03-01-2009 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭

PCWorld.co.uk
    Old but new Macbook Air 1.6Ghz £999.97/Euro 1,048 & free delivery UK

UK vs irish APPLE STORE ( you have to get it delivered to a UK ADDRESS)
    New Macbook 2Ghz £928.78/Euro 937 & free delivery UK -263 Euro
    Old Macbook 2.1Ghz £703.68/Euro 736 collection only -213 Euro (same price on UK applestore)

dabs.co.uk , yes they got cheap irish delivery
    Apple MacBook Core 2 Duo 1GB 120GB Combo Mac OS 695 pounds, just over 700 euro

the new one is just over 900 euro on there

It wont cost what you save to dhl it down from the north for you

or what i do is look at the list of resellers in the UK or the north and ring them and ask will they ship to ireland. some will but charge you extra. most of the big shots have agreements not to sell out of a certain place. small stores just want to make money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Apple and cheap don't go together ;)

But good thread, unless you're getting a bargain from the Irish refurbished store, it definitly makes sense to buy from a UK store.
    I don't know about resellers but there an Apple Store in Belfast too if you want to make a day out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yea I bought a macbook recently from the Apple UK store, €618 delivered to my door......;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

rom wrote: »
    PCWorld.co.uk
    Old but new Macbook Air 1.6Ghz £999.97/Euro 1,048 & free delivery UK

UK vs irish APPLE STORE ( you have to get it delivered to a UK ADDRESS)
    New Macbook 2Ghz £928.78/Euro 937 should be at least 969& free delivery UK -263 Euro
    Old Macbook 2.1Ghz £703.68/Euro 736 collection only -213 Euro (same price on UK applestore)

dabs.co.uk , yes they got cheap irish delivery
    Apple MacBook Core 2 Duo 1GB 120GB Combo Mac OS 695 pounds, just over 700 should be at least 725 euro

the new one is just over 900 euro on there

It wont cost what you save to dhl it down from the north for you

or what i do is look at the list of resellers in the UK or the north and ring them and ask will they ship to ireland. some will but charge you extra. most of the big shots have agreements not to sell out of a certain place. small stores just want to make money.
    Would love to know where your doing your conversions from.

Current spot is 0.9539 which you won't get retail, more like .94.

Even with the current spot you are enough out to point it out. If your going to start the thread you may as well give the correct info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Yea I bought a macbook recently from the Apple UK store, €618 delivered to my door......;)

Was that a 'furb drunkmonkey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Hi all,

I'm thinking of travelling up to Belfast to buy a Mac at the Retail Store.
    Only issue is if I get Applecare will I be covered, even though I am in a different jurisdiction (800 years and all that...grrr).

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Applecare cover is worldwide

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DUBISAK

do you know if it is possible to buy on uk apple online store and get shipped to Ireland?
    If not I dont see there could be any reason buying on apple uK online getting shipped to a relative in UK and then getting them to send over to Ireland.

I have seen huge difference of nearly Eur100 on Ipod touch 32gb on the uk and irish apple online stores.

I just have a feeling using an Irish IP address that when you go to buy on apple.co.uk it will redirect you to apple.ie before confirming and paying the higher price. Does any one know for sure?

Do you think there would be much interest in the Dublin/Meath/Wicklow/Kildare area for some one to run a service every week from UK to deliver someone door In above areas with product bought online but sent to a UK address? This would also be good for the likes of items bought on ebay. Some times the rates quoted from Uk to ireland are massive, way above odds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

DUBISAK wrote: »
    do you know if it is possible to buy on uk apple online store and get shipped to Ireland?
    No, the UK store will only deliver to the UK. You could get some of the benefit of low sterling by ordering from Dabs.ie, although you'd be better going up North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

why must u get your mac from apple.com
    the ones that dabs and pcworld sell are identical.

as from the exchange rate. its trolls like you that make boards great ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

bluetonic is right, your not calculating exchange rate correctly, also your linking on dabs to an older model which is no longer sold by apple. It's people like you that make bargain alerts useless.

If you want a cheaper apple product due to the current exchange rates, go to belfast.

• Advertisement

How should the exchange rate be calculated so ?

Is there an online calculator that can do what xe.com does but correctly or do you have a formula ?

say a person was going to use their credit card how would you work out the rate ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Rom,
    Never mind all the abuse .

using the spot rate quoted by Blue tonic .9539 I checked out youe equations.

the second one £704 = 737 seems ok
    the first one £929 = 937 seems you have the figures written down wrong . it should be 973.

Spot rates are not available to anyone. When the rate is .9539, you would need to change thousands to get even .9339.

Buying the amount you want from a Bank you may get .9229.
    Buying a draft from a bank will get you a slightly better rate.

Buying from a Bureau can be better than a Bank. There is no transaction costs. Some Bureaux are far better than others.

Buying with your credit card often gives a very good rate.

Stores (rules out on line shopping) often give a good rate for for Euro cash.

There are a lot of variables.

regards, Rugbyman

i'll make sure to totally ignor your posts in future thanks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No, the UK store will only deliver to the UK

He who dares Rodney, He who Dares:)

Make up a UK Post Code (put in the Full Irish Address as well) call UPS when it gets into their hands, hey presto they'll reroute it to Ireland....;)

@op it was a furb, still for peanuts though...

Here' how the bottom of the address looked on my order..

Dublin
    Ireland
    IR11 2AA
    GREAT BRITAIN : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 ImFeelingLucky

He who dares Rodney, He who Dares:)

Make up a UK Post Code (put in the Full Irish Address as well) call UPS when it gets into their hands, hey presto they'll reroute it to Ireland....;)

@op it was a furb, still for peanuts though...

Here' how the bottom of the address looked on my order..

Dublin
    Ireland
    IR11 2AA
    GREAT BRITAIN : )

I was thinking of doing this but I am still unsure!! Did you use the education site on apple uk to get an extra discount? My other option is to get a second billing address added to my mastercard in the uk, as I have relations over there.

Advertisement