Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carvans in the uk

Options
  • 03-01-2009 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi,
    ive been thinking about buying a secondhand carvan (golf/auris/astra) as my current car is getting a bit tired, i will be putting up decent mileage so need the comfort of a car but the economy of a van
    a mate said that i should look up the north with the way sterling is, that along with VRT to be paid being minimal with a commercial, it all seems to make loads of sence. the problem is i cant find any carvans either in the north or across the water. is the carvan an irish phenonimum, or am i looking at the wrong sites.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Not very popular in the Uk are Carvans. They are few and far between. There's nothing to stop you importing a car and get it converted to a van here, but it'd be price probhibitive with how cheap passenger cars are now anyways with sterling so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

economy of a van? why not just get a diesel car? something like a Corolla 1.4 D-4D or Astra 1.3/1.7 wouldn't be big on tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brosnadog

thanks for the comments,
    i take it that they can be got but hard to find
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    economy of a van? why not just get a diesel car? something like a Corolla 1.4 D-4D or Astra 1.3/1.7 wouldn't be big on tax.

When i said economy of a van i really ment the initial economy (cheaper to puchase than the car version, and also if i buy in the north cheaper VRT wise) i appreciate the day to day runing of either will be similar

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I've heard from a mate that the 4x4 diesel rep-van market is terrible (from his point of view, he's trying to sell) so maybe that niche would be worth looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Ex-utilities commercials are plentiful if you seek them, like water,power,mail co vehicles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement