Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Less grief from broken/lost keys

Options
  • 03-01-2009 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

I had HELL on New Years Eve with a broken key in my boot lock.

Friends rescued me (the alternative was a "service" that would have charged e180 just to retrieve the broken key part - BEFORE any charge for cutting a new key was mentioned). But I still had to get a new key cut from the parts.

A chipped Toyota key at that, which, as it was the grey "service key" and the remote was long lost, a main dealer in Naas disgraced themselves by informing me could not be done at all, and that hundreds of euros would have to be spent...on a 10 year old car. Thankfully other main dealers were more honest.

I accidentally discovered http://www.autolockandhouse.com/, usually I wouldn't promote anyone, but this guy has loads of expertise and the patience of Job, as well as a realistic attitude to life that cost me A THIRD of any other price I was quoted, as long as I brought the key to him. It cost me 60 euros to get a new, working key. Obviously he charges more for outcalls, but I think keeping this guy's number in your mobile could save you a world of grief if you are ever stranded with a broken key.

Also, a little hint that might get you out of trouble some day.

IF you have a broken key with a chip, as long as you have another key without a chip, there is a good chance that the UNCHIPPED key will start your car as long as you tape the head with the chip in to it...or even hold it nearby (which works on mine).

Advertisement