Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Blog Awards, 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

A reminder that tomorrow is the deadline for nominations.

Photographedublin.blogspot was short-listed in 2007, which was very encouraging.

Are there many winners from past Awards here?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Culann

My blog is in the nominations list for the first time, so....good luck me, but I won't be holding my breath.

Culann wrote: »
    My blog is in the nominations list for the first time, so....good luck me, but I won't be holding my breath.

Many congratulations!

And how do you know this?
    Is there a preview of nominations out already?

I made a thread at Techfocus that has some links from topical blogs and some memories of Award Ceremonies past.

http://lounge.techfocus.net/showthread.php?p=360558#post360558

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

you are allowed to nominate yourself although I personally never do.

Quite a few regular posters here were nominated last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Calina wrote: »
    you are allowed to nominate yourself although I personally never do.

Didn't know you could do that and like you I wouldn't nominate myself either.

I'm heading to the awards whether I'm nominated or not. Hotel and flights booked. Should be a great weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

If I was Irish i'd be pimping for votes - but I don't think I'm allowed! Well, that and... I have a rather niche audience :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Yes you are. One of last year's nominees was Polish, based in Nenagh County Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I hope to see some of you guys up there :)

Best of luck to everybody!!

elven wrote: »
    If I was Irish i'd be pimping for votes - but I don't think I'm allowed! Well, that and... I have a rather niche audience :rolleyes:

It is for "Irish" related blogs and not a nationality test.
    I have nominated people who were not born here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Anouilh wrote: »
    ... I have nominated people who were not born here.

Culchies? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Culann wrote: »

Interesting. How do you know this a day before nominations close?

I nominated myself. If I was waiting for someone else I'd be waiting so what the heck...:p I also mentioned one or two others ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

whats this blogs thing?
    and
    who are you calling a culchie???

:p:):rolleyes:;):D:pac:

he he laughs!! etc....

hey Danny hows the going???

:)

ThOnda wrote: »
    Culchies? ;)

By that reckoning I am beyond the Pale and should not be in the running for nomination.

A Galwegian by birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭latchiko

I was lucky enough to be shortlisted last year which was very unexpected. While there's nothing stopping you from nominating yourself (I think), part of the magic for me last year was seeing my url on the nominations list and knowing that somebody out there not only enjoyed by blog but took the time to nominate it.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the list once it's announced. There are always a few new blogs in there worth checking out and I still have some of my discoveries from last year in my feed reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Marcus

Photo Bloggers might like to be nominated for the
    Irish Blog Awards.

http://awards.ie/blogawards/nominations/

We have until 14 January, 2009 to decide who will be
    Ireland's Top Bloggers.
    Good man! I was just about to post that nominations are closing today!

Pixie is sponsoring the Best Photo Blog category again this year ;)

Marcus

iampixie wrote: »
    Good man! I was just about to post that nominations are closing today!

Marcus

Glad to be of service...

But...

I'm a Lady6034073

But...
    I'm a Lady
    Oooops - Good woman! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

iampixie wrote: »

Great stuff.. Was going to ask Damien who the sponsor was.. Now I don't need to :)

Now that the nominations are closed it would be interesting to know if there are any rumours about who has been nominated.

Exciting times...

• Advertisement

The Blog Awards people are looking for judges.
    This would be a great opportunity to learn about blogging from the inside, as well as for photographers to have their input.

http://awards.ie/blogawards/2009/01/14/want-to-be-a-blog-awards-09-judge/

The interesting thing about the Internet is that for the first time, we have a medium of communication that has the power to be truly democratic.

Now that the nominations are closed it would be interesting to know if there are any rumours about who has been nominated.

I could nearly give you a list off the top of my head if the last few years are anything to go by.

rymus wrote: »
    I could nearly give you a list off the top of my head if the last few years are anything to go by.

You may be right, in part.

However, I think there are quite a few new faces on the block.

I nominated a very good web designer who has only made a photo blog recently.

It's all very inspiring, as more people lose their fear of making work in public and having it reviewed by a wide audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

You will find that most nominees know of or each other. The nominations are based as much on how actively people participate in the community as on the quality of the snaps. That's just the way most online stuff works.

There are the odd exceptions like DDOI & A Walk Through Durham Township. But these are international. No Irish photoblog that I know of has broken through on any scale like these either at home of abroad.

Both of these blogs have a big advantage over us though. They get real weather!

Brave photographers may be out in Ireland at the moment recording the lashing winds and rain. We may as well photograph what is there.

There are some very good photographers in the "Photo Blog" category for last year's awards:

http://awards.ie/blogawards/2008/02/11/irish-blog-awards-2008-shortlists/

Your view that participation in a community leads to success is true. I was nominated in the first round two years ago by a really friendly poster on Blather.net.
    We had some nice chats afterwards, but he seems to have disappeared.

Has anybody seen Podge recently?

Could be a photographic quest...

Nominations will be announced tomorrow. Excited to see who has been nominated.

Some familiar blogs there and some new ones.

loads of new ones.. will have to do a little bit of browsing after lunch to check out the competition :D

• Advertisement

Congrats to all those that made the list! Best of luck for the shortlist :)

Advertisement