Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Blog Awards, 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

A dang lot of blogs up! Congrats to everybody :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Tis that time of year again...

/me starts filling brown envelopes with small, unmarked, non-sequential bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Good to see a few boardsies up there as well as the usual blogging crowd. Show them how it's done, people! :)

elven wrote: »
    Good to see a few boardsies up there as well as the usual blogging crowd.

No it's not! The smaller the list the better ffs. It's going to take a portion of my cunning to get shortlisted on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Well I wasn't nominated this year so that's one of last year's shortlistees out of contention anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

How are they shortlisted? online voting or a panel from awards.ie?

panel.. Public voting proved not to be a good system because well.. the public are stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

good stuff , makes the effort of updating a blog worthwhile , like football I'm always close to hanging up the boots - though want to comlete the year !!

http://www.photoblog.com/thebaz

hopefully someone here wins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

rymus wrote: »
    /me starts filling brown envelopes with small, unmarked, non-sequential bills.

Can we make sure that its not Monopoly money this year please?? ;):D

same as always Mike. real bills on top.. monopoly money underneath

(and good running shoes on)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Congratulations to all the nominees.

The hidden work a blog takes is often hidden from all but the most discerning viewer.

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭PonderStibbons

My oh my, somebody nominated me :o It's incredibly awesome to think that at least one person enjoys my blog enough to bother to do that (I just hope it wasn't my mum...) Great to have some encouragement now and again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Culann

Culann wrote: »
    My blog is in the nominations list for the first time, so....good luck me, but I won't be holding my breath.

I was getting carried away with myself a bit there, but I'm now on the longlist. I'll be happy to be shortlisted, especially going up against the likes of http://inphotos.org/

I feel I should stand up and take a bow as well.

http://photographedublin.blogspot.com/

is on the list.

thebaz wrote: »
    good stuff , makes the effort of updating a blog worthwhile , like football I'm always close to hanging up the boots - though want to comlete the year !!

http://www.photoblog.com/thebaz

hopefully someone here wins

Certainly the more advanced photographers here have a good chance of winning.

What do Boards.ies think of the general standard of the nominated blogs?

Bumping this because it is topical.

Also, there are many blogs that do not fit into the "Photography" category, but which have some very technically skilled photos.

Ice Cream Ireland is a personal favourite...
    and there are recipes there as well.

Anouilh wrote: »
    What do Boards.ies think of the general standard of the nominated blogs?

The ones in the list of nominated photoblogs that are actually photoblogs are decent enough for the most part. There are exceptions, but I won't open that can of worms right now. Maybe in the last week of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

It's going to be very interesting to see the long list then short list. Then I will help open that can of worms.

Indeed it is. It's not going to be as easy this year to guess who'll be on the shortlist. Last year I had the winner picked by the time the nominations list came out :D

I do think I know who'll be on the shortlist, but it's both tempting fate and giving people leeway to bitch and moan if I start mentioning names. Anyway, anyone that's been in & around the photoblogging community for a few years will know the potential shortlist at this stage.

The ones in the list of nominated photoblogs that are actually photoblogs are decent enough for the most part. .

This seems to say that there is a blueprint for what a Photoblog is. It would be interesting to know what you think is not a photoblog, so that bloggers could think about it and improve.

I'm interested in how Boards.ie readers perceive the Irish Photblogs they have come across. Perhaps comparing with other blogs in the wider internation community would help see whether this country is well represented?

I miss the public voting system. Somehow the panel of judges seems a less engaging system.

• Advertisement

This seems to say that there is a blueprint for what a Photoblog is. It would be interesting to know what you think is not a photoblog, so that bloggers could think about it and improve.

No blueprint, no specifics. Just look at all the other successful photoblogs on the planet and there is one common element. They all contain photos. Not one photo post among 5 or 10 other posts with youtube videos, text posts and whatever else. On the whole, nobody gives a damn about what I think a photoblog is or isn't and I'm perfectly happy to keep it that way.
    I miss the public voting system. Somehow the panel of judges seems a less engaging system.

I'd say you're on your own there. The public voting system was a popularity contest. Those with the largest visitor numbers or those who shouted the loudest got the most votes and won. That's no way to run what, by it's very design, should be a contest where the best wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Would agree with rymus here.. Public voting on the internet is wide open to manipulation.

At least with a group of experts it should in theory at least, ensure quality shines through.
    I find some photoblogs to be lacking personality and make very little attempt to engage the reader.. A number of blogs I have come across just have a photo and very little information or background. Its just "BAM, how you like them apples!"
    If I wanted to just browse images I would look at flickr or pix.ie.

Best of luck again to all involved. I expect to see names from here on the shortlist!

shepthedog wrote: »
    I expect to see names from here on the shortlist!

You will. At least two I imagine.

Thanks to some very helpful feedback in the SEO Forum, I thought Photobloggers here might be interested in the tips shared, especially the information on avoiding hotlinking.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58716840

It might be of use to make a list of members here who have been nominated already for the Awards?

It might be of use to make a list of members here who have been nominated already for the Awards?

Can't see how that would be of any use... Unless some people just like getting as many mentions as possible?

It is so that I can read their blogs with more interest.
    Knowing the Flickr or Pix.ie links also helps and there is even a thread here that keeps people in contact:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/boards_ie/discuss/72057594128884821/

There is also a Irish Blog Awards Flickr group, where members post photos taken at and around the time of the ceremony week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

You will. At least two I imagine.

I can think of three and they have all posted to this thread (no it does not include me)

There is also a Irish Blog Awards Flickr group, where members post photos taken at and around the time of the ceremony week.

Yes, and if you look at photos in that group, you'll be able to reverse engineer who alot of the photobloggers are. There's an afternoon activity for you.

DarrenG wrote: »
    I can think of three and they have all posted to this thread (no it does not include me)

four then. it'll be interesting to see the list alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

I'd agree with Gary and Rymus bout the public voiting - it's much more fair! It's not going to be like Eurovision for blogs now... :P I'm looking forward to seeing the shortlists for everything - it shall be pretty interesting.

I would LOVE to know how many people nominated themselves for the longlist. :)

Advertisement