Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Blog Awards, 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Rojo wrote: »
    I would LOVE to know how many people nominated themselves for the longlist. :)

Whoever they all are, I hope they feel a deep sense of shame :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

rymus wrote: »
    Whoever they all are, I hope they feel a deep sense of shame :D
    :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

shepthedog wrote: »
    I find some photoblogs to be lacking personality and make very little attempt to engage the reader.. A number of blogs I have come across just have a photo and very little information or background. Its just "BAM, how you like them apples!"

Ah! Just the kind I like actually as my own will testify. An awful lot of pseudo crap is talked on some sites. Gimme the snaps I say. I can fill in the gaps myself. The best photos don't need words.

"Engaging the reader" on a photoblog seems like a contradiction to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

What is the difference between the long and short list ?

I assume the short list is for winners - why have the long list then ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

at the moment the list is just whoever got nominated. In the longlist they should theoretically weed out any nominees who don't fit into the category. the shortlist is, well, a shortlist that they pick the winner from...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

I'm nominated too, I know at least my gf put my name in the hat (more or less like nominating myself :rolleyes: ). It doesn't really count for much when anyone can sign themselves up. Any word on when the shortlist is out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I would be interested to know what criteria the judges have for making their decisions. It's a bit like sitting an exam without knowing what the questions are.

I found one other person who thinks that voting, possibly linked with a judging panel's final decision might breathe some life into the whole process. Probably voting turned out to be complicated and time consuming for the organisers, however.

Would you change your blog, if you knew how they were judging it?

Anouilh wrote: »
    I found one other person who thinks that voting, possibly linked with a judging panel's final decision might breathe some life into the whole process.

Best thing you can do is start a petition. I'm serious.. If you feel like you're sitting on a winning photoblog and the only thing that's standing in your way is switching back to a public voting system I'd start that petition straight away. You might not get enough signatures for the 2009 awards, but definitely for 2010 or 2011. Go for it!

rymus wrote: »
    Best thing you can do is start a petition. I'm serious.. If you feel like you're sitting on a winning photoblog and the only thing that's standing in your way is switching back to a public voting system I'd start that petition straight away. You might not get enough signatures for the 2009 awards, but definitely for 2010 or 2011. Go for it!

Your bracing attitude has cheered me up considerably.

I'm interested in systems, how they work, what makes them tick. That's all.

Brilliant riposte, BTW.

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote: »
    What is the difference between the long and short list ?

I assume the short list is for winners - why have the long list then ???

It's a mystery.

It's a bit like qualifying races at a Track and Field, I expect.

I've been enjoying the whole process considerably.

Your bracing attitude has cheered me up considerably.

What can I say? I live to give...

elven wrote: »

No.

I once had a salad disqualified from a competition because I had decorated it with borage and nasturtium flowers. The judges considered the pot herbs to be inedible, possibly dangerous.

When I am disqualified, I like to know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I would be interested to know what criteria the judges have for making their decisions. It's a bit like sitting an exam without knowing what the questions are.

I found one other person who thinks that voting, possibly linked with a judging panel's final decision might breathe some life into the whole process. Probably voting turned out to be complicated and time consuming for the organisers, however.

Well a lot depends on why you write one. I wrote two blogs, the general one and the photo one quite a while before Irish Blog Awards were put together. The over-riding reason for writing them is to entertain myself to some extent. What other people think of them comes and goes. Dancing Shades made the short list last year and wasn't nominated this year. But I'll still write it the way I do.

No, I wouldn't/
    It's a mystery.

It's a bit like qualifying races at a Track and Field, I expect.

I've been enjoying the whole process considerably.

No one person knows all the blogs in Ireland. Open long lists means that there's a greater collective knowledge of who is blogging in Ireland.

When I am disqualified, I like to know why.

Sadly, this isn't "Salad Awards 2009". You may wish to appy for an explanation in writing if/when you don't get long and/or shortlisted but I highly doubt you'll get one. Or at least one that you find satisfactory...

If that does happen, just assume you did something fundamentally wrong and mentally torture yourself horribly until the nominations come around again for the 2010 awards. If you dont make it into the next round of judging, it's normally down to a few things. 1; the quality of the photos or 2; the layout/design of the blog. Questioning why would be like asking why the sky is blue or the grass green. It just is. Accept it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Long lists will be out from 5.30pm today. Better remember to buy that can of worms on the way home :D

DarrenG wrote: »
    Long lists will be out from 5.30pm today. Better remember to buy that can of worms on the way home :D

Psh.. I've been at 'home' getting ready for the long lists for the last hour or so. Home being a Bulgarian hotel room that is.. Is it ok that I've picked my winner already?

here yis are yis hoores...

* Darren Greene
    * Annie Rhiannon
    * Caitriona Dwyer
    * Glassey Alley
    * CasaCaseyCourtney
    * Red Mum
    * McAWilliams
    * Venividi.ie
    * Phil O’Kane
    * Donncha O’Caoimh
    * This Irish Photograph
    * Gingerpixel
    * Paudie
    * Porchfield
    * North Atlantic Skyline
    * Figmentation
    * Off Her Rocker
    * Deeorgan
    * Kevoto
    * Miss Lili
    * Lickable Wallpaper
    * Ross Costigan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Well done guys!

wtf? kjt you shoulda been up there :/

congrats to the other boardsies...!

• Advertisement

wtf? kjt you shoulda been up there :/

congrats to the other boardsies...!

Did you just drop a can of worms over my head?

Thanks though :)

Roll on "Salad Awards 2010"

Anyone feeling particularly aggrieved by the process, address to send complaints to will be posted shortly.

oh and +1 to what elven said.. I'm quite surprised

kjt wrote: »
    Did you just drop a can of worms over my head?

Thanks though :)

Psh, that can-o-worms was well open, I just made a vague reference to it.

Politics ftw!

careful now or your invitation to the captains table will be snatched back! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Kyle, none of your archive links appear to work, maybe that's why? Seems harsh, I agree.

Covey wrote: »
    Kyle, none of your archive links appear to work, maybe that's why? Seems harsh, I agree.

Thanks for that tommie. Sure I'll be updating the blog to go along with the look of my site in 2/3 weeks. Don't know how I didn't spot that months ago though :D

Me and KJT must have been the only 2 not selected from original list ! - Are you a judge Ryan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Can't believe Kyle didn't make it.

I also have a great idea for badges for the boards.ie photobloggers attending the awards night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Marcus

thebaz wrote: »
    Me and KJT must have been the only 2 not selected from original list ! - Are you a judge Ryan ?
    Barry you are on the list... See: http://awards.ie/blogawards/2009/02/03/2009-irish-blog-awards-longlists

• Advertisement

iampixie wrote: »

cheers , still i feal for KJT - i don't think the long list is a good idea - just get a short list and winner would be easier - keep it simple rather than an FA cup style knockout

Advertisement