Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High mileage Lexus is200

Options
  • 03-01-2009 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Hi all, and happy new year!
    The oh is looking at a cheap, nice, motor to run into the ground. We've found a 2000 is200 with about 150k+ on the clock and it is going for a pretty decent price. I was wondering what the lifespan of the engine is though?
    If any other Lexii owners are on, could you please comment good or bad on your experience's with one. After researching as much as I could, it seems that they only get lively when you keep the shoe down and the revs up. Also, 30mpg seems to be the average fuel consumption - how accurate is this. She'll be doing a 50 mile round trip to work each day, so majority of driving will be in top gear.
    Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Car is a uk import - is there any particular areas prone to rust?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If it still has not yet got an NCT I wouldn't touch it as it could be a potential minefield with emissions, shocks and other problems that could show up and cost the same as the car to put right. To be honest on a petrol engine I would try to stay around the 120k miles mark at max when purchasing one, especially when not buying from a friend you really don't know what you are purchasing. I'd say looked after the engine could be good for 200k miles but most of the other components like shocks, gearbox, clutch and timing belt will be needing replacements, probably on their 2nd or 3rd lot already.

Out of interest what price they asking for it? With that mileage I would be thinking 4k would be plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

It's still in the uk - £2000 ono is the price on it. It'd work out at under 4k, vrt'd on the driveway. It's just after being mot'd, had a new clutch fitted and comes with a full main dealer service history.
    The mileage doesn't bother her - the fuel consumption does though! She's currently pottering around in a '90 civic with about 130k on the clock and that's still running like a dream. God bless the japs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

It's still in the uk - £2000 ono is the price on it. It'd work out at under 4k, vrt'd on the driveway. It's just after being mot'd, had a new clutch fitted and comes with a full main dealer service history.
    The mileage doesn't bother her - the fuel consumption does though! She's currently pottering around in a '90 civic with about 130k on the clock and that's still running like a dream. God bless the japs!

If the fuel comsumption does bother here, buy a used high miler focus in the uk and land it here for 7k ish. That is200 will rob her on fuel and will be a money pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Pistonheads is always good if considering importing. Some IS200's here. :)

If the fuel comsumption does bother here, buy a used high miler focus in the uk and land it here for 7k ish. That is200 will rob her on fuel and will be a money pit.

She wants to stick with a jap - either toyota or honda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

My 2 flat mates in college had 2001 Is200s(one worked hard to get it, the other was just spoiled) while they were in college. The unspoiled one could actually barely afford to run it. They are possibly the least efficient engine for the power/litre that ive ever seen. They are only something like 158bhp but my god are they thirsty. Neither of them were light footed but the cars never went over 28mpg for them and they did most of their driving between Cork-Limerick so its not as if it was all urban driving. The engine is beautifully smooth since its a 6 cylinder but for that kind of low mpg id be expecting a lot more performance.

That said, not a tick went wrong with either of them. If you want a frugal car look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

check over suspension very carefully, suspension parts can be hugely expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

My old man had an IS200 Sport, probably one of the first in the country back in 1999, he got it new and had it for 3 years and about 40k miles. The ONLY thing that ever went was a brake light. I think that his average mpg was somewhere around 26.

I was in the market for a car in that segment a couple of months ago myself and didnt go for an IS as they are a bit slow mid range, I think that the engine develops 144 lb/ft which is nothing. And the lack of mpg. But at €4k landed here providing nothing major goes wrong you can only loose €4k! At that price I'd go for it!

If anything goes wrong, it's only parts that'll cost her anything.

I wonder if a remap could do anything for driveability/consumption.

@ samsemtex - It's not that she can't afford more, it's just that after losing a lot of money on depreciation over the last few cars, it's a little off-putting on spending massive amounts of money on one, especially with the current situation.

@ Colm - oe or spurious?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

@ Colm - oe or spurious?

I think it's the control arms that are pricey as you can't get the bushes separately. don't think they're available spurious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i dont know why people so affraid of high mile engines, mine first car was mazda 626 coupe, 89'. it had 320k km on clock. Was driving perfectly.

You can buy a 06 car with 60k on it, and at this stage, you buy a car, who needs major service, brakes, shocks and ather things.

I newer pay alot of attention on miles, alot of cars have huge miles, but those are looked after cars. And there is loads low mile cars, which allready driven to hell and back.

on is200 topic, i whanted buy one, and thx got i did not. Very bad mpg, and very bad power output for such bad mpg beast. And this is an old, executive car. You can get car cheap, but parts for it and service will cost you double price of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

She wants to stick with a jap - either toyota or honda.

50 miles a day plus similar at the weekend is nearly 20k a year, the lexus is a fabulous car but im not sure that kind of milage makes sense for a thirsty lexus.

Best value from the uk comes from a low emmision diesel.Something like a 1.6D Mazda 3 or 1.7D Civic are the things to go for if you want a deal.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=MAZDA&min_pr=2000&source=0&model=MAZDA3&max_pr=5000&miles=1500&agerange=2&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=2&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=37&ukcarsearch_full.y=7&start=2&distance=9&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200901326307452

Or you could get a nice little Almera here and not have to jump through hoops with nct/vrt crap.Would be a big step up over a 90 Civic.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1280227

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Should be no reason why the car wouldnt do a million miles FFS! its a toyota. Once its got a Lexus FSH everything should have been done.. Suspension issues are easy enough to spot once you do your research, squeaky, rough ride, test drive a low mileage example to gauge against.. etc buyer beware etc... however these cars were made to last, anyone who says these engines should be good for 200k is talking thru the own arse.

The sound off the engine is well worth it, petrol is getting cheap.

Get an AA inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My cousin had an IS200, great car but if it did like fuel so if your OH is concerned about petrol consumption then she will not like the IS200.

Maybe a Honda Accord might be worth looking at?

What are the accords like on fuel? She wasn't impressed when I told her the mpg!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What are the accords like on fuel? She wasn't impressed when I told her the mpg!

The Accord has two less cylinders to feed than the IS200 so it will definately be easier on petrol. I reckon early 30s mpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

A w202 C-class mercedes would be a much better choice imo. Every bit if not more reliable than the Lexus. We had one for years and not a single thing ever went wrong with it. Did like blowing break lights alright but thats hardly a worry. It was probably the last ultra reliable mercedes. We actually bought it ahead of the IS200 mainly based on how pathetic the IS mpg is.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/MERCEDES-BENZ+C+CLASS/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-14-42-207-240-4294967218-4294967262/advert.action?R=200801326187402&distance=118&postcode=sw193rq&channel=CARS&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&model=C+CLASS&min_pr=&max_pr=3000&max_mileage=80000&vehicleYearOfManufacture=1998&vehicleRegLetter=S

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/MERCEDES-BENZ+C+CLASS/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-14-42-207-240-4294967218-4294967262/advert.action?R=200839319579723&distance=207&postcode=sw193rq&channel=CARS&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&model=C+CLASS&min_pr=&max_pr=3000&max_mileage=80000&vehicleYearOfManufacture=1998&vehicleRegLetter=S

You can get automatics in them pretty handy as well which your wife WILL like. I have yet to meet a woman who has said she doesnt like an automatic once they have driven it. You should also get well over 30mpg for them with them and they are a great little car to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

If she gets a 1.8 manual she'll be looking at 35mpg, with lower tax, with more or less the same power.

Heres a good one..

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Accord/1.8i-vte/200850191185459/advert

Advertisement