Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance question

Options
  • 03-01-2009 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

my insurance is up for renewal next month, ive been using some of the price comparision websites but most dont have my car listed its a 01 seat leon sdi they only have tdi models listed ive used the lowest listed bhp tdi and am getting good quotes but i no i cant buy the insurance because its a false declaration, i even called into the axa office other day and they dont have my car listed on their computer she did same used a tdi said there all in same group and said it wouldnt matter, but personally i feel down the line god forbid anything was to happen the insurance company would dis-own me for having car listed as a tdi, is there any way around this, also on the subject of insurance allianz is offering me bonus protection ill have 2 years ncd when i renew its quite a bit extra for this protection is it worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Well first off I would ring several different companies (maybe the ones who had the best TDI quotes) and explain your situation over the phone to them. Even if their system does not have your engine, i'd be surprised if they would refuse to insure you. The only thing you need to do in this situation then,and most importantly, would be to get it in writing from them that regardless of your model not being on their system, that they will cover you regardless.

I'm assuming so that your current policy has a somewhat 'false' declaration for model type?

Maybe ring one or two brokers as well!? They could possibly give you better peace of mind if you were to go through one of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

deaglan169 wrote: »
    allianz is offering me bonus protection ill have 2 years ncd when i renew its quite a bit extra for this protection is it worth it?

Look at the policy wording to see what the effect of a claim is on NCD without protection. A lot of companies (including Allianz AFAIK) don't necessarily reduce your no claims to zero after a claim but step back a certain number of years. However with only 2 years no claims I'd say you'd be looking at going back to zero (step back is usually 2-4 years off you no claims years)

On one hand bonus protection is pricey enought (an extra 8-12%) in cases I've seen. On the other hand difference between zero no claims and 2 years is massive. Where as if some one had 8 or 9 years no claims and were stepped back 3 or 4 years it would have as big an effect on their premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

thanks all for your advice the only two companies that have my car listed are quinn (my current insurer) and allianz if i go with no bonus protection allianz is a full €500 cheaper than quinn so think my decision is made, thanks again

Advertisement