Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP Hamster on the run!!!!

Options
  • 03-01-2009 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭

Help, we have an escapee on the run, our dwarf hamster has gotten out of its cage and we cant trap it, we have tried the usual food trail , but it has eaten all and still on the run,!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

try under the fridge.
    It's warm under there with lots of crap to eat like dropped cornflakes, etc. the hamster will feel safe there. We only realised ours was missing when the fridge stopped working as he had chewed through the wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Don't leave food anywhere except on a piece of paperwith slits over his open cage. Put a ramp up so he can get to it but falls in when he goes across it.

They are pesky beggers when they break out because they don't want to come back and will starve in preference to going back in the cage. I've lost a few and never seen them again - but I had to dismantle the dishwasher to get a hedgehog out of it so you could be worse...

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I used to have this problem a lot! Either buy a human trip trap or use a bin with a nice bed to shaving to stop the hamster hurting himself & use books to create an easy set of steps. Place tiny bits of food every couple of books.

Always worked for me! trip traps work well on dwarf hamsters & the bin trick for Syrian's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

His cage is one with the door at the front, its 3 levels high, we have it lovely and he keeps breaking out, thank you both for all your help, my daughters room is very small, someone mentioned about humane traps but i dont know where to get them, i will try both your suggestions, thanks a million!

Rory123 wrote: »
    try under the fridge.
    It's warm under there with lots of crap to eat like dropped cornflakes, etc. the hamster will feel safe there. We only realised ours was missing when the fridge stopped working as he had chewed through the wire.
    Hi rory, twinkle is in my daughters bedroom, living the life of riley, he is still alive and running around.And he loves cornflakes!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You should be able to get a humane trap in most hardware shops, although the humane mouse traps can be small so if he's a Syrian hamster you might need to get a humae rat one.
    He will be getting thirsty so if you get one that's wire cage-like then you can put his bottle on to it so that he pops in the trap to have a drink. Some grape or strawberry or ham might tempt him. If you know what room he's in then it should be easy enough unless the room has lots of holes and gaps.
    Best time to try is in the evenings.

Fingers crossed, don't give up but for now be careful when opening doors or windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Something like this happened to me when I got my first hamster when I was about eight. It escaped and the traps didn't work, we didn't get him back, until we got this horrible smell and my parents pulled out the dishwasher.....

You should be able to get a humane trap in most hardware shops, although the humane mouse traps can be small so if he's a Syrian hamster you might need to get a humae rat one.
    He will be getting thirsty so if you get one that's wire cage-like then you can put his bottle on to it so that he pops in the trap to have a drink. Some grape or strawberry or ham might tempt him. If you know what room he's in then it should be easy enough unless the room has lots of holes and gaps.
    Best time to try is in the evenings.

Fingers crossed, don't give up but for now be careful when opening doors or windows.
    Thank you, i have been putting drops of water on the floor, the problem with my kids room is its stuffed with toys!!! So lots of warm places to go. The first time he got out he made it downstairs and lived happily in the dinning room for 4 days before operation hamster was put into practice. But it wasnt fair on the cat , she was banned from roaming around.So im hoping that it will get fed up either that or get put the cat on a lead and flush it out!

Thank you to everyone who made suggestions, twinkle,s days of freedom have come to an end. The box worked. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yay! Nice one, any piccies of the little Houdini?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I always found the bin/bucket to be FAIL-SAFE!

My little bugger always went behind the washing machine, into the wall, and ran up the wall into the ceiling!

Advertisement