Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ragweek2009

Options
  • 03-01-2009 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

hey
    any word on ragweek this year?hopfully a good band(not saw doctors,blizzards usual thing)..eddie halliwell last year was good for the clubbers.im hearing awful rumours of jordan doing a personal appearance wtf.last year the ents guy tried with freshers and rag week and other events but got little support unless its drink 10 cans and go to mor disco/mollys no one cares.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,864 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Saw Doctors: Yes, all the way!

Blizzards: BIG NO NO! Along with The Coronas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

i agree mars bar,the blizzards are done to death and the crowd is mainly girls wanting to see the singer lol.and the corona just have to marketing in d4 land with their hip name and a song about san diego.saw doctors are round too much too suppose their good craic...they sold tickets for them last year for our freshers week your man joe the ents guy sorted me:)but he told me l.i.t had to share them with mary i as they only got a small number of tickets for them

I never have to worry about tickets to see the Saw Doctors!;)

I would love to see The Walls at a Rag Week Gig. Maybe even if they could get the Stunning to do Dolans again. Can't really think of many more bands...not really a Rag Week Gig fan, it's always a bit on the rough side.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

The Saw Doctors are fair ****e. Rag Week will be the usual, tins etc and out one or two nights. Costellos or Bakers.Kind of like a normal week but without having to go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭fionntang

What the craic with college during ragweek,are all lectures canceled or does no one go or what?

re music: i hope theres something a bit different ,the whole saw doctor,corona's thing has being clubbed to death for years

sick of promoters booking the same cheap irish act (no disrespect) and making a killing on it,be a bit different ffs!

The Japanese popstars would be unreal for a mid week gig in somewhere like dolans!

• Advertisement

they would only play trinity rooms in limerick id know that from inside information.l.i.t sucks for gigs cause the majority of the college only want mollys/mor disco.dolans is a great venue and outside of dance stuff mick dolan could get the college some amount of acts for the s.u,

they would only play trinity rooms in limerick id know that from inside information.l.i.t sucks for gigs cause the majority of the college only want mollys/mor disco.dolans is a great venue and outside of dance stuff mick dolan could get the college some amount of acts for the s.u,
    i know the popstars management will only deal directly with nightclubs and promoters most of the time,they got ****ed over in sligo last year for the i.t rag week but i know they played nuig in september ,shame really as mollys and icon and the likes will be the exact same as any other tuesday/thursday night as it will ragweek

Can we just go home for Rag Week? I'd go to the Galway one just for convenience...

mars bar wrote: »
    Can we just go home for Rag Week? I'd go to the Galway one just for convenience...
    none of that crazy talk now mary

Well if there is talk about Japanese Popstars, then I am heading home!!

• Advertisement

Well if there is talk about Japanese Popstars, then I am heading home!!
    Broaden your horizons mary! ,you cant live your life listening to the saw doctors forever now :pac:

At least I know I'm safe in my own little bubble!
    Unless they can get Bruce Springsteen, Meat Loaf or the Waterboys, the Saw Doctors are the only choice left for me!

Nah I'm good for different stuff for RagWeek, I just be won't at most of them. Have to cater for everyone! I hope they have a good comedian or something...

At least I know I'm safe in my own little bubble!
    Unless they can get Bruce Springsteen, Meat Loaf or the Waterboys, the Saw Doctors are the only choice left for me!

Nah I'm good for different stuff for RagWeek, I just be won't at most of them. Have to cater for everyone! I hope they have a good comedian or something...
    chances are theyd get conal gallen or brendan grace whove being using the same material and pulling the same gag's since 1986.

But does anyone know whats the story with lectures during rag week,ie are there any?

Haha, so true! They might get Dermot Whelan seeing as he is a Limerick native, and maybe Jarlath Regan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 nerney

fionntang wrote: »
    chances are theyd get conal gallen or brendan grace whove being using the same material and pulling the same gag's since 1986.

But does anyone know whats the story with lectures during rag week,ie are there any?
    i didnt show up for any lectures during last years rag week dont think anyone did in my course ...lecturers know well nobody is gonna show up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mymipage

Lectures are officially still on but no one goes in. The Thursday and Friday are official days off.

RAG Week will be announced in about two weeks... should be a good one this year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭RINO87

lining up for rag week number 4!! its whatever you make of it, fcuk mollies and the icon, get out of your bin drunk, go to the stuff in college (union day, need i say more!:)) and have massive house parties, dont sleep or eat, you can survive on rennies and actimel!!
    cheer me up while im trying to see the till through a haze of drunkeness in gearldines offy!
    go to the union organized events, they usually wind up being a mad laugh and kick the crap out of queing all nite for mollies or icon, only to realise its packed, you cant get a drink, and is full of ****!!
    have a bonfire in stoneymeadows!
    partake in general "wrecking of the place"!

japanese popstars would be class, have heard rumors of 2unlimeted!! break out the smiley face t-shirts and glow sticks, its time to get madoutofit 90's style!!
    have fun!!! be nice to your neighbours!!!

RINO87 wrote: »
    lining up for rag week number 4!! its whatever you make of it, fcuk mollies and the icon, get out of your bin drunk, go to the stuff in college (union day, need i say more!:)) and have massive house parties, dont sleep or eat, you can survive on rennies and actimel!!
    cheer me up while im trying to see the till through a haze of drunkeness in gearldines offy!
    go to the union organized events, they usually wind up being a mad laugh and kick the crap out of queing all nite for mollies or icon, only to realise its packed, you cant get a drink, and is full of ****!!
    have a bonfire in stoneymeadows!
    partake in general "wrecking of the place"!

japanese popstars would be class, have heard rumors of 2unlimeted!! break out the smiley face t-shirts and glow sticks, its time to get madoutofit 90's style!!
    have fun!!! be nice to your neighbours!!!
    sound advice there dude, 2unlimited would make for an unbelievably cheesy/hilariously good night though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Bring back Halliwell!!:)

well the owner of trinity would book the acts for the colleges .so its 2unlimited and some hard dance dj sander van dorn for us and sash for mary i.pity no live gigs yet dance gigs sell well in lit with all the yup yup heads.as for the union day hope it goes ahead again altho its hard to get tickets youd have to be in with the s.u people they keep off sale

• Advertisement

OK, Here's a little update on RAG Week for all interested... (It will be all more or less be announced by next Monday anyway)

MONDAY - 90s Rave with 2 Unlimited @ Trinity Rooms 10pm ... We're really going for this night with 2 massive Foam Cannons being brought in, UV Lights and Decor all over the club, FREE Glowsticks for everyone in the club, and there will be drinks promotions from the 90s, not to mention one of the biggest Europop act of that decade, 2 Unlimited. If you're not into hard dance this is the night to go to (and of course, all profit goes to charity)!!

WEDNESDAY (DAY) - Laser Dome on Campus - We've got our very own laserdome being brought in!! The bungee jump will also take place on this day along with inflatable games. There will be eating competitions too (eg - spicy pizza eating, hot curry, and ice cream, and the Yard of Coke comp.)

WEDNESDAY (NIGHT) - Sander Van Doorn @ Trinity Rooms €10 - He's currently rated the 13th best DJ in the world beating the likes of Judge Jules (#32), Daft Punk (#38), Justice (#73), and even Eddie Halliwell (#19). For those not into House or Trance, the full club will be open with other events that night. All pre-sell tickets to Eddie Halliwell sold out within two days last year... expect something similar!

THURSDAY - Irish Keg Party (or 'Union Day') @ LITSU - You don't need to worry about being 'in' with the Union to get a ticket, beacause we are doubling the size of the Union Day, putting in a Live Act, and also making room for a DJ or two. If you haven't been to an LIT RAG Week - basically you buy a ticket and the beer is free! I'm really looking forward to this gig myself, it should be great fun!! Don't miss it!

We're going 'around the world' with our theme this year so you can also expect themed events from Ireland, Mexico, Holland, Europe, the US, and much more... Any questions please post a reply or send on an e-mail to publications@student.lit.ie.

2unlimited will be great for a bit of nostalgic 90's crazy dancing,not a tech trance fan but svd should be a bit of craic all the same,happy out with the line up's so far

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Bug!!!

whats with all the dance **** wheres the proper music

whats on the tuesday night?and day time events?is it a good live act

thats total b.s profits for charity.rag weeks have lost all their meaning,they should get students voluteering for the day time around the community.what would 10 euro a head into into trinity make?must be at least 10,000

thats total b.s profits for charity.rag weeks have lost all their meaning,they should get students voluteering for the day time around the community.what would 10 euro a head into into trinity make?must be at least 10,000
    sander van doorn would be 5k sterling to book which is decent as the likes of letrik would charge 25 a head for dance nights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭RINO87

Sash for mary I rag week?!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha !!! jaysus i have to go!!!!!

Ok, posters are going up on Monday so I think it's about time we announced a little more about the RAG Week '09 online... Since we're all in the great recession at the moment and less people are taking foreign holidays we’ve decided to take you ‘Around the World’ as part of our RAG Week theme.

Monday - The week officially begins with our ‘Around the World’ Pub Quiz / Launch in the Country Club at 3pm on Monday 16th. There are some great prizes for this so head on down. After the quiz (4pm) there will be a DJ and we’ll be giving a spot prize of €100 out during the party too! Simple way to start but it’s gonna be a great little party!

Monday evening then (8pm) we’re heading into Clem Smiths for our MEXICAN NIGHT. We’ve got free Chilli Con Carne (so no need to worry about dinner ;)), all Mexican drinks are €3 or less, and there will also be a spot of Karaoke!

The big event of Monday follows with our 90s Europop Party in Trinity Rooms. We’ve got 2 massive FOAM cannons, UV lights and décor, Free glowsticks and one of the best acts of the 90s coming in from Holland – 2 Unlimited!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzyFmilkd80

Tuesday then we’re starting on campus with TAG Rugby all day for sports fans, and the return of the Student / Staff Soccer match on LIT Astroturf. Over in the Millennium Theatre at 2pm we have one of Irelands funniest live comedians, but we won’t announce that just yet!

Tuesday night sees us start at Mollys for the traditions Hawaiian Beach Party with a free BBQ, Beach Balls, Leis, and the best beach tunes around! Icon will be hosting an Irish Night which I have no doubt will be packed!

On Wednesday we step it up a notch with the Bungee Jump coming on campus at 10pm (ish) and the Laser Dome starting at 12pm. The laser dome is a 40ft x 40ft chamber where two teams of 5 battle through 9 tunnels equipped with laser guns!! Should be fun. We also have some great inflatable games with a massive inflatable obstacle course, a strength test machine, pillow bash, and lots more. As an added bonus we’ve also added eating competitions this year. Some include Hot Curry, Spicy Pizza, Sink-a-Sub, Ice Cream, and the Yard of Coke!!

Wednesday evening (8pm) brings us into The Old Quarter for our USA Frat Party. It’s free entry and we have ‘Beer Pong’ and ‘Flip Cup’ Tournaments with great prizes. There will be drinks promos on all USA beers and we’ll be giving out FREE Frat t-shirts. Design your own FRAT t-shirt and you could win some great prizes!

And to finish on Wednesday night we have our big trance DJ, Sander Van Doorn in Trinity Rooms. Sander is one of the top DJs in the world currently ranked at 13th (higher than Judge Jules, Justice, and Eddie Halliwell). He’s from Holland and flying in from Canada to play. Tickets are already selling well so if you do want to go to this make sure you get your tickets quick!

Thursday then brings us to our famous ‘Union Day’ which has a new name this year! – The Irish Keg Party. We’ve had so many enquiries about this event but here’s what’s going on for it! We’re doubling the size, opening upstairs and outside! In the main room we are constructing a stage for a live band, Saving J. This band have supported The Blizzards, The Coronas, and The Stunning in the last three months alone and are quickly making a name for themselves! Check them out at http://www.myspace.com/savingjmusic. There will also be 2 top DJs playing the event, marquees, food, and of course, a free bar!

Thursday Night (10pm) is 99% confirmed and will be announced on the posters on Monday in college, in an all student e-mail, and through text to the class reps and society members!! This will be our big RAG Week goodnight and we hope to see everyone there!!

Agus sin é! All profit from RAG Week will be going to two charities. The first is the Aisling Centre, a drug and alcohol rehabilitation centre for young people in Ireland. The second is a local charity. RAG Week stands for ‘Raise & Give’ and I hate the fact that this meaning often gets lost. Believe me when I say that the profit made WILL go to charity and I will be constantly promoting that throughout the week! But we do need everyone’s support!

I hope that you like the line-up. We tried to give as much variety as possible (ie – 90s Cheese, comedy, trance, live music, themed events, sports, and non-alcoholic events). We also looked at past events in LIT to see what was popular with the masses.

Anyway, give it socks for the week and enjoy yourself! Tickets on sale Monday from SU!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

It's just the chick from 2unlimited right?

Advertisement