Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Turtle Wax - Tar and Bug "Remover"

Options
  • 03-01-2009 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

As above, has anyone used this?

I finally said i'd get up and de-bug the car, Berty will know it's been a long time coming. So, i bought this Turtle Wax stuff. After giving the car a good wash, and dry i set about removing the tar.

Read the bottle, usual stuff "Spray on, leave for a minute, rub with sponge/cloth, buff out".

So i sprayed the stuff on the car, not being too mean with it. Waited a minute or so and started to rub it with the sponge. Useless. Not a bit of it moved.

Right, i said, maybe i've done it wrong. Sprayed on a bit more, waited a bit longer this time, and went again about wiping it off. Useless.

I went to pick a bit with my nail to see if my sponge was at fault, but it was still glued onto the car. The stuff we use in work is a bit more industrial, more of a wipe on, wipe off straight away kinda thng, but i thought this Turtle Wax would be off some use.

Maybe i've done it wrong, but according to the bottle i haven't. What a waste of money and energy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I've used it a few times with mixed results, it usually takes off tar but afterwards it leaves an oily residue and the car usually requires a rewash. From experience I know if you need to shake the bottle before using and will require a cloth to get more abrasion than the sponge.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I've used it a few times with mixed results, it usually takes off tar but afterwards it leaves an oily residue and the car usually requires a rewash. From experience I know if you need to shake the bottle before using and will require a cloth to get more abrasion than the sponge.

I gave the bottle a good shake before i used it. Also had to wash the car again after using it. Here's the "results"
    IMG_0774.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Did you forget to use elbow grease?:pac:

I find a dab of petrol followed by a good wash does a much better job than any of the alternatives in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Oh Limerick-man how silly you are. Buy a bug and tar sponge in Autozone Limerick in Eastway. It was a few € and does a great job.

Big bits of tar require around six passes to remove but lean on the bodywork on the little bits and pieces and they will just rub away.

If you are calling to your sisters place and my car is there knock on the door and I will give you a driveway demonstration. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

the best tar remover i have found is Holts tar remover in a aerosol can.
    my rule for tar remover is if its not flammable and bad for the environment then its not going to be any good :D

turtle wax stuff is grand if its fresh tar but if its on the car for a few months then its just not up to the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

JoeySully wrote: »
    the best tar remover i have found is Holts tar remover in a aerosol can.

Definitely - it sprays on to the car and becomes kind of 'gel based', gets straight to work. Just don't leave it too long and make sure to wash the car again, right after using it.

I found it great on my wheels too, again washed a second time right afterwards then coated with some decent wax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Turtle wax stuff is rubbish, you need to get your hands on some autosmart tardis, spray on and watch the tar dribble off the paintwork.

Berty wrote: »
    Oh Limerick-man how silly you are. Buy a bug and tar sponge in Autozone Limerick in Eastway. It was a few € and does a great job.

Big bits of tar require around six passes to remove but lean on the bodywork on the little bits and pieces and they will just rub away.

If you are calling to your sisters place and my car is there knock on the door and I will give you a driveway demonstration. :D

Haha i might take you up on that.

Ya i think i'll be taking the one i have back, awful waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Have that turtle wax stuff myself...waste of money altogether. Ya would have more luck using fairy liquid!!!

I returned to the bit of petrol and a gud scrub!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Does anyone use WD40 for this? It is recommended on the internet for removing tar but I would be a bit cautious about it, being a lubricant could using it often damage the paintwork?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

used the turtle wax stuff once before...completely useless. I find petrol and some elbow grease is usually the best...then a good clay bar job

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Haha i might take you up on that.

Ya i think i'll be taking the one i have back, awful waste of money.

I meant you need to use the bug and tar sponge in conjunction with the bug and tar remover. Im telling you. I swear by the stuff, it comes off fairly quickly. You just need the sponge.

I meant you need to use the bug and tar sponge in conjunction with the bug and tar remover. Im telling you. I swear by the stuff, it comes off fairly quickly. You just need the sponge.

Sure tar will come off with anything if you use sandpaper:P I don't want to have to buy a special sponge to make it work...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Just spend a euro on petrol and get yourself a clean rag and start rubbing..........

Petrol will remove tar spots, moss, rust streaks pretty much anything thats not ment to be there. Then get a tub of turtle wax, the waxey one not the liquid one and polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

And be sure to apply a wax coat after. Petrol strips everything bar the coat of paint.

OT: Reminds me of my dad telling me about his first car, an Austin Mini. He spent a summer fixing it up before he went to college and painted it bright Hammerite red being a broke student. Went for his first fill of petrol and the paint peeled right off where he spilled some under the filler cap! Have before and after pics somewhere at home! :P

Advertisement