Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cold conservatory

• 03-01-2009 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭

Hi just back on board,

We have a conservatory on the gable of our hse that is very hard to keep warm this time of year its glazed the whole way round well insulated, the ceiling is rather high about ten feet with t&g timber and recessed lighting.

Where can i start to improve the heat in this area .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

macadam wrote: »
    We have a conservatory...ceiling is t&g timber and recessed lighting..

You're describeing a Sun-Room not a Conservatory which has a glass roof.

This time of year it is not possible to heat a conservatory economically or sucessfully. I have found that a modern Sun-Room, on the other hand, can be heated using conventional radiators upsized by 30% above a conventional room of the same size. Upsized because of the amount of glazing and usually having a vaulted ceiling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Sorry sun-room it is, the measurements are 4mtrs x 3.5mtrs and ceiling height is 3.60 mtrs , i have two dbl rads each side measuring 1450mm x 400mm, we actually live in this room and its fully furnished so the space is not that big.
    Also its doors lead into the warmest room in the house the kitchen, when you open the door you can feel the colder air .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

strip the t+g . put as much stiff insulation as you can between the joists , but leaving 50mm gap at the top . then use insulated plasterboard as a ceiling liner . use track lighting not recessed .

by the way which direction does this extension face ?

Facing southeast, as we like the sun in the morning, when its out.

Mayhave to much glass, but for the area it shoud not be to hard to heat, also we love the vaulted roof it gives it a lovely feature and its packed with insulation, house built in 1998

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

under floor heating might be a better bet in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

macadam wrote: »
    ...measurements are 4mtrs x 3.5mtrs and ceiling height is 3.60 mtrs , i have two dbl rads each side measuring 1450mm x 400mm..

I'm presuming you mean you have 2 rads not 4. In this case it is not enough, imo.

I also presume you can't go taller than 400mm as this is the window board height.

I would exchange the rads you have for tripple or larger volume rads, also make them longer if possible.

As Sinnerboy suggests, the recessed lighting is not helping by concentrating heat points within the roof structure.

Very seldom use the recessed lights have two lamps that we use, think my main prob is the high ceiling and of course all the glass, has anyone any imput on glass that holds the heat K glass i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Have to agree with Sinnerboy and Uncle Tom.

Remember each recessed light fitting is a hole in your ceilings insulation!
    Increase the rads as above, install heavy lined curtains, and maybe consider a small wood burning stove!

I understand that Ceiling fans can push heat down in winter and running in the opposite direction in summer, they can cool the room - might be worth looking into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭MacTheKnife1

RKQ wrote: »
    Have to agree with Sinnerboy and Uncle Tom.

Remember each recessed light fitting is a hole in your ceilings insulation!
    Increase the rads as above, install heavy lined curtains, and maybe consider a small wood burning stove!

I understand that Ceiling fans can push heat down in winter and running in the opposite direction in summer, they can cool the room - might be worth looking into.

Nice ideas:

- wood burning stove - just for air heating

- fan to push warm air from high ceiling back down

- extra rads to heat the air

I will be using a combo of all three.....

Advertisement