Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on showing Please

Options
  • 03-01-2009 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi everybody

I have very recently become the proud owner of a beautiful female pug puppy.
    She is 8 weeks old and is bred for the show ring. I know there is no guarantee that she will make it as a show dog but would love to give it a go.

As I am completely new to showing any tips and advice would be welcome.

Questions I have would be....

1. When is the right time to start showing her? (at 6 mths I think for puppy classes???)
    2. Anyone Know of where I can bring her to get help in training her for the show ring? (Donegal , Sligo , Leitrim areas)

3. What shows/classes to aim for? ( dont mind travelling to dublin but as Im in the donegal area dont want to have to go too far down south)

Im sure theres probably lots more I need to know but cant think of anything else right now , so just any advice please.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Miss B

Was looking into the same thing myself for my St Bernard pup (7 months old) I came across the Donegal Dog Club who meet up on a weekly basis in Letterkenny and am going to join up with them when they start back next week. I found them through the IKC website (I think) and just skipping through google to see what was out there. There might be a club in your local area that meet up on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi and congrats on your new pup.
    Firstly to show at Championship shows the dog must be registered with the IKC.
    They must be 6 months to show, some breed club shows have a baby puppy class, 4-6 months.
    Once the pup is old enough you should attend ring craft classes as this helps training both the dog and yourself for what goes on in the show ring.

Each breed has a diff way of showing, some free stand and bait, some have to be placed etc so you should also attend some shows too before you start to see what goes on for the relevent breed.

Most shows are held in Cloghran, but some are held around the country.
    For a list of show dates, log onto www.ikc.ie or showdogsireland.com.
    Open shows are great for practising without the pressure of a champ show and there are usually a few on this time of year around the country, again the dog must be IKC reg to compete in these.

The show scene is fairly quiet this time of year and the next champ show is in17th March in The National Show Centre, cloghran, dublin. Its a great show and really busy too.
    Hope this helps, if you need anymore info just ask, i have a rottweiler that ive been showing the last yr and half and i love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

I will be showing gsds there in March.I highly reccomend you take her to ringcraft classes and good luck hope she turns out a prize winner .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pugsy

Thank you for your replys. Pup is I.K.C . Letterkenny could be an option but might have a look for somewhere a bit closer.

Definately a good idea to go to some shows , is it allowed to bring dogs to shows even if they are not competing to maybe get her used to the atmosphere ?

What is the difference between a championship show and the open shows? Is the point system for the green stars at championship shows?

Unless the dog is entered you arent meant to bring them but lots of people do.
    Champ shows have green stars on offer to go towards the champion title, whereas open shows dont.

Champ shows have green stars, you need 7 under 7 different judges to become a champion.

Green Star is best dog and best bitch in each breed. You need to win your class, eg puppy, junior, intermediate, open or champion, then each class winner goes in to challenge for the green star and judge picks what they think is the best dog to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just be prepared for lots of snarling, growling, dominance behaviour, fights for leadership and pack positions, etc ...

...and then of course you have to make sure that the dogs get on as well :D

Very good peasent. Im sure there is lots of that too.

I will be doing it for the fun of it. (I say that now!!!)

I said that too Pugsy, but im hooked now, and my dog turned out to be something special, i only got him as a pet with a view to doing some showing as fun.
    Hes now halfway to becoming a champion at just over 2 years old, its very hard in the rottweilers as theres so many dogs to compete against, but its so rewarding and im so proud of him too.

Ive made a lot of great friends through the shows and i look forward to the weekends when theres shows on.

Best of luck with it and hope you have fun.

One thing i would advise is, for showing you need the dog to stand, so dont teach it to sit until you have the stand mastered for the ring.

I made the mistake of teaching Cooper to sit for treats and because we bait them and get them to stand for us in the ring, it took me a long time to teach him to stand instead of sitting.

Just a little tip and something i would diff with my next rottie if im going to show him/her.

He sounds like an amazing dog. Well done andreac and rottie too. I would love for my puppy to do well, she has champions and triple champions on both sides of her family. But I know it dosnt make her a champion so Il say for now its just for fun and if we are both lucky enough to get placed sometime we shall see.

Was told about the sitting by the breeder , would never have thought of that as its one of the first things that I would try and get her to do.

• Advertisement

Ah thats great that the breeder told you, i was the same when i started, he is my first rottie and my first show dog so you learn as you go, try to get as many tips from people as possible, they all help.

Well sounds like your little doggie could be a superstar in the making.

My fella has IR/UK champs on his dad side, his grandad was Best of Breed in crufts. So im hoping he will follow in his dad and grandads footsteps, time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

peasant wrote: »
    Just be prepared for lots of snarling, growling, dominance behaviour, fights for leadership and pack positions, etc ...

...and then of course you have to make sure that the dogs get on as well :D

I have heard some horror stories about the showing scene, and what can go on, but I've now been to a few shows to see friends with their dogs, and have had a great time, although thats probably due to who I was with. I don't show myself, but I do go to any that are near me, or if I'm going to Dublin and there is a show on I will go to it to have a chat with friends and of course see lots of lovely dogs. So I think it is what you make it, if you go with a friendly attitude and don't let other people's opinions get you down, you'll make some great friends and have a great time.

Look out for andreac, she usually has a good flask of tea and cakes on the go:D

I hope to get as much advice as I can and glad I asked here too.

Iv had a good bit of experience with showing ponies so il just imagine its the same just a smaller version.

Def will look out for the tea!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I love pugs. Any photos of her yet?:)

Love them too. Have been wanting one for about 2 yrs now and finally got her.

Have pics on fone but cant get them on computer , so I will take some wit camera and put them up.

Advertisement