Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Resale on UK imports

Options
  • 03-01-2009 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

I asked this question in the UK import definitive guide thread, but it got lost among all the posts about other things.

Say you import your car from the UK and save a few quid. What happens when you want to change it in a few years? Do you plan to (a) go back to the UK and trade it in or (b) would you try and trade it in or sell it privately in Ireland?

In the case of (b) would you expect to receive a lower price as the person buying it will know you got it cheaper in the UK or may have less confidence in a UK import. If so, wouldn't that erode some of the saving you made in the first place?

I'm particularly interested in hearing from people who have already been through this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

UK imports have always been worth a bit less than original Irish cars; I don't think this will ever change. That said, a clear HPI printout and a full service history (invoices, not just stamps in the book) along with any other documentation to support the mileage (old MOT certs etc) will all help when selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd imagine it would depend on the car, the market for it, and its condition.

I bought an imported 02 Passat a few years back, but in my case it was more because it was an automatic (which on Irish ones is/was rare). When I went looking for a replacement the sales guys immediately picked up on it being an import, and ultimately I got a fair enough price I think when I traded it in.

Of course, if I'd waited just a few months later when the bottom dropped out of the car market I'd have possibly done better, but then again maybe not given the way trade-in values have dropped alongside prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

There were and continue to be no Irish examples of my current Car, which Im selling, so I wouldn't accept any variation on the price as to get another it would have to be imported anyway.

For my last car (Audi S4 tuned to the nines) I actually sold it to someone in the UK, despite my pricing carrying thousands of Euros of VRT in it. The tuning (basically making it faster than an RS4) was worth that much to him. I even got emails from people in the US looking to import it. Thats rare however, a case where manual labour and parts added dramatically to the value of the car, usually the VRT added to the cost of the car makes it unsellable abroad.

The S4 would have been a bloody steal for someone here to buy, I was sickened that no one in the Irish VAG/fast car community stepped up to the plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Due to the amount of cars coming from the UK and the north at the moment, this is having a major knock on effect on the trade-in / re-sale value of all cars in the south. Many main dealers appear to be over priced on their used stock at the moment but this by and large is only stock that they have been caught with over the past 12 months. Vehicles being traded in this year (2009) are been bought in at a much cheaper price more in tune with the amount of fresh used cars being imported, the current economic climate and the manufactuers reducing prices. I have to admit that very fresh 2008 VW passats etc do look very good value in the UK compared to here but on slightly older cars ,even say 2004-2005 I would suggest that there doesnt seem to be much value. If you go into a main dealer here ,tell him you have no trade in and that you dont want a warranty ( which is what you are really doing when you buy in the UK ) and then ask what he can sell you the car for out the door, you might just be shocked at the level of discount. Very little discount can be got on the advertised price of a UK car were as thousands can be shaved off the advertised price of Irish cars. Irish dealers add these thousands on top to give back to you in a trade in valuation ( which in my opinion is not the way to do business) but will just as easy give it off on a straight deal. Take into account travel and VRT plus the fact that most Irish dealers are on the brink, well Id ask the questions here first before Id travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Matt Simis wrote: »
    There were and continue to be no Irish examples of my current Car, which Im selling, so I wouldn't accept any variation on the price as to get another it would have to be imported anyway.

For my last car (Audi S4 tuned to the nines) I actually sold it to someone in the UK, despite my pricing carrying thousands of Euros of VRT in it. The tuning (basically making it faster than an RS4) was worth that much to him. I even got emails from people in the US looking to import it. Thats rare however, a case where manual labour and parts added dramatically to the value of the car, usually the VRT added to the cost of the car makes it unsellable abroad.

The S4 would have been a bloody steal for someone here to buy, I was sickened that no one in the Irish VAG/fast car community stepped up to the plate.
    Look on the bright side, it'll be a nice find for someone to re-import without paying VRT.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement