Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Northen Ireland Car Dealers

Options
  • 03-01-2009 3:31pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I heard an ad on the radio for a northen ireland car dealer that does all the paper work for buyers down south. Didnt catch his name.

Has any one used such a service and if so could they recommend any one? Just trying to figure what kind of savings I could make

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As in they go to the VRO and pay the VRT for you? I haven't heard of this, but i'd imagine anyone doing this will charge heftily for the service.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Anan1 wrote: »
    As in they go to the VRO and pay the VRT for you? I haven't heard of this, but i'd imagine anyone doing this will charge heftily for the service.

I only caught a bit of the ad but thats what they said and it "was part of the service" ie not gona cost you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

by all means buy a car in the north but the paperwork is a real non issue takes 5 minutes

its the amount of vrt thats the issue there have always beeen savings but now the prices available are crazy on second handers
    what were you thinking of getting

but in fairness here is their details
    The Isaac Agnew Group wants to offer you the chance to save thousands on your next car purchase. Employing over 900 staff we are one of the largest Car Retailing Groups in Ireland with over 40 years of experience, and an annual turnover of £300M. We have earned a reputation for delivering excellent customer service by receiving recognised Manufacturer awards, and providing quality assured and approved used cars.

The Agnew Group has provided this website dedicated to customers from Ireland who wish to take advantage of the present exchange rate between Sterling and Euro. With 544 Quality Used Cars in stock, we offer a comprehensive choice of brands and models to choose from, all based within 15 dealerships less than 90 minutes from Dublin.

We provide the following benefits on these cars to all our customers from the South of Ireland:

VRT Paperwork simplified
    Comprehensive Reconditioning and Servicing if required
    Multipoint Safety and Bodywork Inspection
    Independent Mileage Verification Check
    Franchise Service History Check
    Transactions completed in Euros
    Hassle free process with delivery if required
    http://www.agnewcars.ie/whybuyfromni.asp

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Was looking at getting an 2004 saab 93

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kearnsr wrote: »
    I only caught a bit of the ad but thats what they said and it "was part of the service" ie not gona cost you
    of course it'll cost you, 'part of the service' means 'built into the price'. And it's a lot more hassle (and therefore expense) for someone based in NI to VRT a car than it is for someone down here.

Anan1 wrote: »
    of course it'll cost you, 'part of the service' means 'built into the price'. And it's a lot more hassle (and therefore expense) for someone based in NI to VRT a car than it is for someone down here.
    built into the price yes
    but they only have to cross down to dundalk

kearnsr wrote: »
    Was looking at getting an 2004 saab 93

agnews won't do a car that old i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

OP I heard this yesterday too on the radio, but forgot the name. I looked up a few names of NI dealers to see if any rung a bell, and I reckon its Charles Hurst.

hurst don't do saabs

agnews have a full range of saabs and cater to the euro "irish " market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Fizman wrote: »
    OP I heard this yesterday too on the radio, but forgot the name. I looked up a few names of NI dealers to see if any rung a bell, and I reckon its Charles Hurst.

ya it is Charles Hurst..Vauxhall Dealer
    They say they will take your southern reg as a trade in but expect to get peanuts for it

Not sure if they will do ALL the paperwork for you to import it..I still would imagine the buyer would have to declare the car themselves at the VRO

They had a cracking 06 2.0T Signum Elite in Pomegranite Red. That is a lot of car for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Carraboat

Tigger wrote: »
    by all means buy a car in the north but the paperwork is a real non issue takes 5 minutes

its the amount of vrt thats the issue there have always beeen savings but now the prices available are crazy on second handers
    what were you thinking of getting
    I'm new to this so bare with me....
    I'd like to buy a Landrover Defender 110 from NI where it is classed as a commercial vechical for road tax etc. Would it be automatically classed as such here? If so am I right that VRT would be a fixed charge 125 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Carraboat wrote: »
    I'd like to buy a Landrover Defender 110 from NI where it is classed as a commercial vechical for road tax etc. Would it be automatically classed as such here? If so am I right that VRT would be a fixed charge 125 euro.

I think it depends on whether there are windows and seats in the rear. If you get a Defender 130, I believe you get 50% discount on VRT as it is a pick up, even though it has a six seat crew cab.

no vrt is 13.3 % its a cat b vehicle

VRT Category B
    Examples of Category B vehicles include certain car derived vans and jeep derived vans.
    The rate of VRT applicable to Category B vehicles, subject to a minimum VRT of €125, is 13.3% of the Open Market Selling Price (OMSP).

VRT Category C
    Examples of Category C vehicles include certain commercial vehicles, agricultural tractors and minibuses with at least 12 permanently fitted passenger seats.
    The VRT rate applicable to Category C vehicles is a flat rate of €50.

These rules were implemented under the Finance bill 2001
    107. VRT on 4x4 Vehicles
    The Bill amends the rules governing the classification for VRT purposes of certain vehicles, mainly jeep-derived and car-derived vans, to ensure greater evenness of treatment of such vans classified under category B of VRT, taxable at 13.3% of the open market selling price. Car-derived vans, jeep-derived vans and other vans which have a gross vehicle weight (GVW) below 2,520 kilograms or a wheelbase below 2,450 metres will be classified as category B. Thus, for such a vehicle to be classified as category C, the vehicle must exceed both of these thresholds. Small vans below 1,400 kilograms unladen weight that have a cargo area load volume exceeding 2m3 will be classified as category C regardless of whether they meet the new GVW or wheelbase thresholds. A crew cab will be classified as a category C vehicle if the cargo area length of such a vehicle equals or exceeds 45% of the wheelbase or if its GVW equals or exceeds 2,5kgs. No change is being proposed for the VRT treatment of motor caravans and larger panel vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

Without wanting to hijack the thread, I've being thinking about something simliar myself lately.
    Looking at the Nissan Navara's up north as they are classed as commercial down here even with the double cab, but I have been wondering what possible hidden charges there might be with getting it down from the north.

Is there a set VRT charge for commercials, remember it being discussed before in another thread, something like €50, tried to have a look on the VRT.it website but could'nt see much relating to commercials....maybe i was just to tired to see it. (I think Tigger just found what i was looking for there - Thanks)

Is it just VRT or would you also get stung for VAT? given the 6.5% difference in tax from NI to ROI now.

If it's just Pay for the Navara, Pay VRT here and nothing else then I would be flyin :)

Eye wrote: »
    Without wanting to hijack the thread, I've being thinking about something simliar myself lately.
    Looking at the Nissan Navara's up north as they are classed as commercial down here even with the double cab, but I have been wondering what possible hidden charges there might be with getting it down from the north.

Is there a set VRT charge for commercials, remember it being discussed before in another thread, something like €50, tried to have a look on the VRT.it website but could'nt see much relating to commercials....maybe i was just to tired to see it.

Is it just VRT or would you also get stung for VAT? given the 6.5% difference in tax from NI to ROI now.

If it's just Pay for the Navara, Pay VRT here and nothing else then I would be flyin :)

see my previous post for vrt (its 13.3%)
    no vat as long as its more than 6? months old as long as its sold vat paid in the north

Just spotted the previous post, Thanks.

Yeah I was looking at 06-07 Navara's.....Thats Interesting :)

Just spotted the previous post, Thanks.

Yeah I was looking at 06-07 Navara's.....Thats Interesting :)

still probably good prices available

Ok one last question about that VRT Category C bit you had there.

"A crew cab will be classified as a category C vehicle if the cargo area length of such a vehicle equals or exceeds 45% of the wheelbase or if its GVW equals or exceeds 2,5kgs."

Had to look this one up.

Navara wheelbase = 3200mm
    45% of that = 1440mm
    Bed Size Floor Length = 1511mm

So if i'm right (and i may not be) would that mean VRT Category C for the navara and €50?

"A crew cab will be classified as a category C vehicle if the cargo area length of such a vehicle equals or exceeds 45% of the wheelbase or if its GVW equals or exceeds 2,5kgs."

Had to look this one up.

45% of that = 1440mm

So if i'm right (and i may not be) would that mean VRT Category C for the navara and €50?

i'd check on the vrt calculator

• Advertisement

i'd check on the vrt calculator
    it sez 13.3 %

do soime research/ ring the vrt people and let us know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Hi all forgive my ignorance I was looking at going down the route of purchasing in Northern Ireland, was looking at an 04/05 BMW 320D, 100k+. However when I want to the VRT websites I was astonished to see what they feel these cars would be worth on the open market selling prices of these cars, maybe in the heady days of a few years ago, but 18,000 / 20,000 grand they are saying these are worth at the moment. Are these prices

A. Fixed and never changed no matter what their true worth is at the moment

B. A sneaky way to discourage people for purchasing up north by vastly overpricing the car

C. Is it just an estimate and the VRT price will be based on what you paid for the car

Certainly there was some gems up there considerably lower than R of Irelands prices but adding in the VRT on top is beginning to make it more difficult

Yeah just spent another few mins searching about and found that it is listed under VRT Category B and it was working out at 13.3%....still overall it works out miles cheaper that ROI even at that, but i might have to ring and make and enquiry about the VRT Category C regarding the 45% rule above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Carraboat

no vrt is 13.3 % its a cat b vehicle

VRT Category B
    Examples of Category B vehicles include certain car derived vans and jeep derived vans.
    The rate of VRT applicable to Category B vehicles, subject to a minimum VRT of €125, is 13.3% of the Open Market Selling Price (OMSP).

VRT Category C
    Examples of Category C vehicles include certain commercial vehicles, agricultural tractors and minibuses with at least 12 permanently fitted passenger seats.
    The VRT rate applicable to Category C vehicles is a flat rate of €50.

These rules were implemented under the Finance bill 2001
    107. VRT on 4x4 Vehicles
    The Bill amends the rules governing the classification for VRT purposes of certain vehicles, mainly jeep-derived and car-derived vans, to ensure greater evenness of treatment of such vans classified under category B of VRT, taxable at 13.3% of the open market selling price. Car-derived vans, jeep-derived vans and other vans which have a gross vehicle weight (GVW) below 2,520 kilograms or a wheelbase below 2,450 metres will be classified as category B. Thus, for such a vehicle to be classified as category C, the vehicle must exceed both of these thresholds. Small vans below 1,400 kilograms unladen weight that have a cargo area load volume exceeding 2m3 will be classified as category C regardless of whether they meet the new GVW or wheelbase thresholds. A crew cab will be classified as a category C vehicle if the cargo area length of such a vehicle equals or exceeds 45% of the wheelbase or if its GVW equals or exceeds 2,5kgs. No change is being proposed for the VRT treatment of motor caravans and larger panel vans.
    thanks for the info. I have checked the GVW of a standard crew cab 110 and it seems to be 3050kgs, so would be a Cat C. Unless you know different

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

thanks for the info. I have checked the GVW of a standard crew cab 110 and it seems to be 3050kgs, so would be a Cat C. Unless you know different

I'd phone the VRO if I were you. They have a database of vehicle dimensions and would be able to tell you right away which category it falls into. You might have to take it to an approved weighbridge to prove it if you feel differently to the figures they provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I think the 110 doesn't meet the load length being 45% of the body length exemption. If you can find new prices for them, see if the 130 is cheaper than the 110 - this should confirm.

Had to look this one up.

45% of that = 1440mm

I have a feeling that the Irish Spec Navarra's have a higher GVW than UK Spec vehicles, to get them in to Cat C. Could be wrong on this but I can't find any info for weights on the Nissan UK site. A UK Nissan dealer should be able to confirm these details for you.

Advertisement